🎄 Spotify Playlist 🎄

Sign in to follow this  
opinion

Gaga: the musical?

Adarsh

So I just recalled that the cast of The Sound of Music paid tribute to Lady Gaga after her breathtaking medley at the Oscars.

This makes me wonder what would a Gaga musical be like? You know with all her songs just like Mamma Mia used ABBA songs. Would you be here for it? Personally I think it would be amazing since she has such a diverse discography and her music would translate really well into broadway standards.:tony:

That boy is a monster
  • Love 5

warholastar

Something like Lazarus by David Bowie ! At the end of her life / carrer which I hope is a very long time from now

Blastertoyo

Gaga: The Rusical is coming soon I think 

f6ae856dfceeda3f107ed9dfcef3ddea9ad53c74

• LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 2

Bolkins

I think a musical based on one album would be fun, like The Fame or BTW. 

Not saccharin or fake my dear.

SamanthaC
48 minutes ago, Blastertoyo said:

Gaga: The Rusical is coming soon I think 

f6ae856dfceeda3f107ed9dfcef3ddea9ad53c74

I'd be here for this! Maybe for All Stars???

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020

SamanthaC

Okay that video was amazing. I loved the mashup of The Sound of Music songs with Gaga songs.  I love the idea of a Gaga musical overall. There's got to be a playwright somewhere on this site.

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020
  • Love 1

Mesmer92

It sounds great in theory but in practice, I don't think it would be that great. For example, The Cher Show was downright awful (in my opinion). I'm not sure why but I think it's mainly because they re-created the songs to sound more theatrical instead of using their original compositions. 

Spock

Jukebox musicals almost always end up being panned messes on Broadway and they don't have a great reputation :selena:

so unless it would be something really special like based on a concept (like GOAT or Chromatica) I'm not sure it would work.. thought I'd love it if Gaga would write her own musical one day whew

who will love me when the night is over
  • Like 1

BornAsUnic0rn
21 minutes ago, Mesmer92 said:

It sounds great in theory but in practice, I don't think it would be that great. For example, The Cher Show was downright awful (in my opinion). I'm not sure why but I think it's mainly because they re-created the songs to sound more theatrical instead of using their original compositions. 

I actually love the soundtrack of the Cher Show. And with Gaga’s music, I’m so here for the theatrics. It’s what draws me to her in the first place. So I’m here for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adarsh
55 minutes ago, Spock said:

Jukebox musicals almost always end up being panned messes on Broadway and they don't have a great reputation :selena:

so unless it would be something really special like based on a concept (like GOAT or Chromatica) I'm not sure it would work.. thought I'd love it if Gaga would write her own musical one day whew

Didn’t the Cher show win a couple of Tonys  though? 

That boy is a monster

Mesmer92
5 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical (Stephanie J Block)

Best Costume Design of a Musical (Bob Mackie)

Spock
9 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

One of the Chers one a Tony because she was way overdue for one, and also Bob Mackie won for costuming, but it didn’t win any big ones. It wasn’t that well received and the production didn’t even last the entire season. I loved it because it was campy and insane. But yeah it wasn’t that great 

i feel like on Broadway, the community can still see the value in flops or shows that aren’t that good overall and still award them, regardless of the reviews. 

but yeah, jukebox musicals and movie adaptations are kind of not respected and are seen “tourist traps” for the most part 

Edited by Spock
who will love me when the night is over

MOT
1 hour ago, Spock said:

My instinctive reaction was great idea, but yeah, maybe not the greatest.

But for her to write her own musical, yes please, bring that on.

Mesmer92

2 hours ago, MOT said:

But for her to write her own musical, yes please, bring that on.

I'd be here for something like Cyndi Lauper did for Kinky Boots

Tyler Henry
3 hours ago, Spock said:

"All shook Up" and "Mamma Mia" did well and are still staples in regional and local theatres across the US