💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

JLO faces backlash after calling herself 'negrita'

Featured Posts

The singer/actress from the Bronx took a hit on social media for calling herself ‘Black’ in song recorded in Spanish

Jennifer Lopez has been accused of appropriating Black culture for years now, but this month a line from a new song “Lonely” with Colombian singer Maluma where she refers to herself as a Black woman has sparked outrage on social media.

In recent years we’ve seen a surge of representation when it comes to Afro-Latin entertainers and public figures highlighting the intersectionalities of the Black and Brown experiences.

But as many pointed out, Lopez has never previously claimed to be Afro-Latin.

The line in question, “Siempre serás tu negrita del Bronx,” in English roughly translates to, “I’ll always be your little Black girl from the Bronx.”

As soon as a clip from the track’s official video with Lopez singing the questionable lyrics made the rounds, fans and supporters alike started slamming her for appropriating Black womanhood.

“J-Lo’s “tu negrita del Bronx” lyric, it’s a literal slap in the face for every Black women, but especially for every Afro-Latinx and Afro-Descendant person whose Latinidad and beauty gets questioned every day due to her influence and “Latina” look,” wrote one Twitter user, summing up the sentiments of many Black people in and out of the Latin community who took offense to what they see as an ongoing blind spot when it comes to how Lopez positions herself culturally.

In 2016, the singer also drew ire for tweeting “All Lives Matter” after a string of police killings against Black people.

The song in the middle of this firestorm is featured in the soundtrack of the singers’ new romantic comedy Marry Me, set for release on Valentine’s Day 2021.

https://news.yahoo.com/jennifer-lopez-slammed-calling-herself-184500379.html

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teletubby

They released this song almost month ago and no one noticed before, no one listened to this :oprah:?

@Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal storm cloud🌩️。˚❀

3 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

Wait so is she or is she not afrolatina..?

She’s Puerto Rican so...

26766-BDF-411-A-40-A3-A439-3-F0254-BEEDF

Hottie Detector

littlepotter
3 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

She is apparently not

2 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

She’s Puerto Rican so...

So basically they're mad at her because she hid her identity all these years and is now calling herself black for cultural clout? or..? im confused

chaeri pls

It's not the first time, she (or Ashanti) said the N word in I'm Real remix too

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Decodekid

I’m not defending anyone but just to give a little context, here in latin america people use “negrita” as baby or honey, not necessarily to comment on someone’s race. 

I don’t think she’s using it to refer herself as a black woman, though she kind of is

Im Harol don't tell anyone

LaLuna
5 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

She’s Puerto Rican so...

So being of "partially African descent" makes you Black?

But her acting Black isn't anything new, she did it in the J.Lo. era way back in 2001.

StrawberryBlond

I'd heard this song once but couldn't understand all the lyrics so I didn't even notice this until I saw it written down. This is indeed a very controversial statement. Her Wikipedia states she was born to Puerto Rican parents and I've certainly never heard her say anything about being black or part black and I'm sure she would have said so before now. Remember that a big controversy she ran into years ago was when she sang I'm Real and used the n word. Some defended it by saying that Ja Rule wrote it and knew she was going to sing it and was fine with it but one person shouldn't speak for an entire community. Some black people are ok with Hispanics using the n word but many are not, particularly when it's a Hispanic who is considered white. This moment doesn't stand out as much as it's in Spanish but it's the same kinda issue. I don't know who's green lighting this stuff because it's super tone deaf especially in this current climate. When it comes to cultural appropriation, this is truly how it should be defined.

Stephen

Puerto Ricans can be white, black, native, mixed or anything really. Being Rican doesn't give you a pass to say this unless you are black... Idk what her problem is. She knows better she just doesn't care.

vyniildisk
1 hour ago, Decodekid said:

I’m not defending anyone but just to give a little context, here in latin america people use “negrita” as baby or honey, not necessarily to comment on someone’s race. 

I don’t think she’s using it to refer herself as a black woman, though she kind of is

yep, i am not defending anyone or anything but people here in LA do use that word as like "little cutie" or as you said, baby, darling, honey.

Archived