Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

So, Umm.., Is It Over For Ariana?

RAMROD

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LilyLark said:

Yep. Stan twitter lives in another dimension sometimes. Adele & Taylor outsell everyone by far....even Rihanna (who has never had that strong of album sales tbh...more singles), Beyonce, Gaga, Ari, etc.

Lol Taylor is not on the same level as Adele :billie:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you must be joking.  Ariana will have a long and illustrious career.  The talent!

I live outside the space time continuum.

Teletubby
4 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

The Grammy deadline is over since two months sis :billie:

proper sad face for 2022:derpga:
source.gif

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

StrawberryBlond
1 hour ago, Indyl said:

Like other users have pointed out, how much overlap is there really between Ariana and Adele's primary audiences?

Ariana is my #2 fave after Gagz, but there's no question about who's had more reach. Adele will literally torch any other artist in a sales head-to-head.

That being said, I don't see Ariana getting "crushed." It'll be more like a Tik Tok-Bad Romance-Empire State of Mind-Rude Boy type thing – multiple mega-hits at the same time.

One song's success doesn't necessarily come at the expense of the other. It's also totally possible that Ariana/Adele's leads alternate at #1 for a few weeks (similar, actually, to how TUN and 7 Rings both returned to #1 for second runs after initially dropping).

Adele's appeal is unusually broad, but let's not underestimate Ariana, who's also had an unusual career trajectory – one of the most seamless transitions from child star to bona fide pop star we've ever seen; hit her commercial peak with her fourth and fifth albums after 3 already-successful albums; and, by all indications, appears to be on her way to breaking more records and spawning at least one more #1.

tl;dr – they're both gonna slay

It's not about overlap, it's about the fact that Adele has much broader reach. Literally everyone, young and old, listens to Adele. Ariana's fans are mostly below the age of 30. From an albums standpoint, there's no question that Adele will sell more. Ariana's never been a huge album seller, she's more singles-based. However, in terms of singles, while Adele would definitely take the crown for the lead, Ariana could have the upper hand with later singles seeing as the majority of people will buy Adele's album and won't bother supporting individual singles post-album but popstars tend to have an advantage here as a lot of people can still be into individual pop singles but wouldn't buy an entire album.

1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

Chromatica? :huh: 

Of course, but that barely got delayed. Her delay was so tame compared to others who literally delayed by months, some without even a new date given. I'm talking about albums with significant delays.

JudasJustDance

I think Ariana could get another debut #1 single, even if Adele drops a single the same day

If they drop their albums on the same day then Adele will obliterate her. 

that being said, they do have different demographics and they’re both gonna do GREAT numbers

Ariana is going to have to settle for #2 lbr. Adele’s “25” & “Hello” broke records upon release. Ariana might have higher streaming points with her single but Adele is still going to have higher actual sales (and her album will slightly out stream Arianas).

Adele will no doubt be #1 for the whole month of November. And December is Christmas, ain’t no one safe to release that late into the year and Christmas freeze on radio is a thing. Adele might repeak on top the weeks after Christmas as well.

BYE

LilyLark
22 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

Lol Taylor is not on the same level as Adele :billie:

Agree, but she's close to Adele's level in the US.

6 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Agree, but she's close to Adele's level in the US.

Taylor despite being a sales titan isn't even close to Adele's power and that says a lot about the rest of the industry... Idk why she's been such a seller.

LilyLark
1 minute ago, Hades said:

Taylor despite being a sales titan isn't even close to Adele's power and that says a lot about the rest of the industry... Idk why she's been such a seller.

I LOVE Adele...so I'm not saying this as a criticism...but her music is extremely GP friendly. It's the type of music that everyone from grandparents to kids can listen to and can be put on in gyms, school dances, etc. Pop is inherently seen as kind of a feminine space, too, which is why a lot of older straight men don't dig it (which is..dumb)....but Adele's type of soul meets pop (combined with her public persona) is more "acceptable."

FameHookah
20 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

I LOVE Adele...so I'm not saying this as a criticism...but her music is extremely GP friendly. It's the type of music that everyone from grandparents to kids can listen to and can be put on in gyms, school dances, etc. Pop is inherently seen as kind of a feminine space, too, which is why a lot of older straight men don't dig it (which is..dumb)....but Adele's type of soul meets pop (combined with her public persona) is more "acceptable."

This is why asib did SO well

WTF is MDNA

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It's not about overlap, it's about the fact that Adele has much broader reach. Literally everyone, young and old, listens to Adele. Ariana's fans are mostly below the age of 30. From an albums standpoint, there's no question that Adele will sell more. Ariana's never been a huge album seller, she's more singles-based. However, in terms of singles, while Adele would definitely take the crown for the lead, Ariana could have the upper hand with later singles seeing as the majority of people will buy Adele's album and won't bother supporting individual singles post-album but popstars tend to have an advantage here as a lot of people can still be into individual pop singles but wouldn't buy an entire album.

idk how to reply to this lol you just elaborated on what i said. high-five!

but i would argue that while Ariana isn't in the same league as Taylor or Adele in moving albums, TUN still moved 360k in its first week, a massive improvement over the 231k that sweetener debuted with. There's no reason to believe that she can't pull in 400k+ like Harry Styles did, which, in 2020, is huge, and would qualify her as an "album seller" in my opinion.

you're looking at this through the typical "pop star vs. pop star" lens – Adele "having the upper hand" technically doesn't mean that Ariana is going to flop. I'm not totally sure what you're saying here, it goes without saying that Adele will be the bigger seller. That doesn't mean "it's over" for Ariana.

StrawberryBlond
3 minutes ago, Indyl said:

idk how to reply to this lol you just elaborated on what i said. high-five!

I thought you were saying they had different fanbases, though and thus will have different chart success at different times? I also don't know if I agree that Ariana would win in a lead single head-to-head. Later singles, though, she'll have a definite chance.

StarstruckIllusion

It’s over for Ariana going #1... but in general? no. 

not a Lil Nas X v Taylor 2.0 :billie:

3 hours ago, RAMROD said:

And if she is, poor Ariana tho, she is not even started yet!

Two women can be successful at the same time, no competition here 

Archived