🎃 Spotify Playlist 🎃

Sign in to follow this  
society

Elon Musk said that it was a huge mistake to impose sweeping lockdowns

In an interview on the New York Times’ podcast “Sway” published on Monday Musk slammed the widespread restrictions imposed across the country to deal with the pandemic.

'I mean this is a hot button issue where rationality takes a back seat. In the grand scheme of things what we have something with a very low mortality rate and high contagion'
'Essentially the right thing to do would be to not have done a lockdown for the whole country but to have anyone that who is at risk quarantine until the storm passes' 

Host Swisher pointed out his perspective on the pandemic is contradictory to much of his other work in the name of saving humanity - from space exploration to eco-friendly electric cars. 

'Everybody dies,' Musk said

Musk said the US should have better assessed what does the 'greater good' and lockdowns were not the solution.

'It has diminished my faith in humanity, the whole thing...the irrationality of peope in general,' Musk said.

When asked how his employees who feel at risk would feel coming into work Musk replied, 'Great, stay at home...If they have a legitimate reason to be at risk then they should stay at home.
[In July three Tesla workers claimed they were fired for choosing to stay home due to the pandemic instead of reporting to work at the Fremont, California plant.]

When asked 'Will you get a vaccine? What will you do with your own family?' he curtly replied, 'No, I'm not at risk for COVID. Nor are my kids.'

source

Lockdowns have been proved to save lives and slow the spread of the virus. Research has indicated that coronavirus lockdowns in the US helped prevent as many as 60 million infections from March 3 to April 6. A study in Health Affairs published in July estimated that US stay-at-home orders may have prevented 250,000 to 370,000 deaths from March to May.
source

__
When Musk was in Germany this month he talked with vaccine maker CureVac, whom he's reportedly offered fully automated machines to produce a COVID-19 vaccine. :oprah:
https://www.dw.com/en/tesla-elon-musk-germany-gigafactory/a-54814316

Edited by 777777777777777777
(っ◔◡◔)っ
  • Like 6
  • LMAO 8
  • Shook 2
  • Sad 12

Ryusei
1 minute ago, 777777777777777777 said:

When asked 'Will you get a vaccine? What will you do with your own family?' he curtly replied, 'No, I'm not at risk for COVID. Nor are my kids.'

What makes him think this? :saladga:

Stan Fujii Kaze
  • Like 13
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2

Franch Toast

What an ignorant, selfish asshole. :triggered:

She/Her/Hers
  • Like 28
  • LMAO 2
  • Thanks 11

BlackFluid

“If they have a legitimate reason to stay home,” ... so I guess he gets to decide what reasons are legitimate. Also “low mortality rate,” ... in comparison to what? He’s the worst and confuses well meaning people who believe that he has any type of meaningful knowledge over the rest of us. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

MJHolland

Since when is a +6% mortality rate “low”?????

We locked down here in the US (sorta, barely tbh) and still have over 200,000 dead what the f*ck....

Edited by MJHolland
Go to iwillvote.com and make a plan to vote TODAY!
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 1

Faysalaaa
24 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

What makes him think this? :saladga:

I think hes saying kids are not effected by covid, and he doesnt have a health issue that can put him at high risk from covid

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 1

Florin

"Lockdowns have been proved to save lives".

Where? :triggered:

it's the opposite. The cost of lockdowns will be long term. From hunger to cancer to mental health, lockdowns have effects that people dont want to see for the moment.

The effectiveness of lockdowns doesnt exist. 90%of the world had them, but they "worked" only in places like New Zealand and Australia and they continue to "work" 6 months later by keeping their people locked up in their houses. :applause:

In opposition, places like Japan, Taiwan, Sweden didnt need a lockdown to keep covid under control.

• Like 7
  • LMAO 19
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 7

Florin
3 minutes ago, berlinforme said:

"Hey kids, let's lock away grandma!"

"Hey kids, let's lock away the entire population for a virus that doednt affect kids and healthy people under 60" 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Thanks 2

QueenGaga

Ok but even if the elderly and at risk stay at home, their families are still going to go about and get sick and bring it back home to them :bear:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Franch Toast
9 minutes ago, Florin said:

"Hey kids, let's lock away the entire population for a virus that doednt affect kids and healthy people under 60" 

But it does. My friend has no comorbidities and is considered in no way at risk for the virus (by virus standards, she's "young," and she's in shape and physically active). She and her husband caught it back in March. Her husband is okay, but she has long-lasting lung damage and now has to use an inhaler every single day. She wakes up in the middle of the night with trouble breathing, even now. 

This is just one example. There are numerous people considered "not at risk" who are dying from the virus or whom are suffering long-term affects. Maybe it's overall a small percentage, but some of us don't feel like playing roulette with our lives. 

I'm not saying that lockdowns are or aren't the answer, as I believe a number of measures need to be enacted and followed in order to successfully combat the virus, and lockdowns alone enough are not enough. However, we need to take this virus seriously. 

She/Her/Hers
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 16

TEANUS
18 minutes ago, Florin said:

"Lockdowns have been proved to save lives".

Where? :triggered:

it's the opposite. The cost of lockdowns will be long term. From hunger to cancer to mental health, lockdowns have effects that people dont want to see for the moment.

The effectiveness of lockdowns doesnt exist. 90%of the world had them, but they "worked" only in places like New Zealand and Australia and they continue to "work" 6 months later by keeping their people locked up in their houses. :applause:

In opposition, places like Japan, Taiwan, Sweden didnt need a lockdown to keep covid under control.

THIS THIS THIS. Much of the US was in a pretty considerable lockdown from mid March to mid May, at least 6-8 weeks, and we’re still fighting this thing. It was “flatten the curve flatten the curve flatten the curve”, well...cases were down and then reopenings happen, we have little to no herd immunity, so bam, the cases skyrocket again. 

The fact of the matter is that the death rate (at least in the US) has proved to be much lower than originally thought. With more testing and more things being open than in the spring, we’re reporting nearly double as many cases per day as we were in the Spring, but the deaths are the opposite, about half as many per day in comparison to the Spring. 

IMHO, the lockdowns weren’t worth it, it’s a virus, it’s going to spread and people are going to die, it’s called nature. It’s extremely saddening and unfortunate and God allowing we hopefully will never see anything with a mortality rate as high as they originally thought. But, the cost the lockdowns had/ will continue to have on mental illness, the economy, OUR IMMUNE SYSTEMS, child development, drug abuse/ alcoholism rates, and so much more, will always outweigh the benefits in my eyes. But, I’m not a scientist I just read the charts :heart:

Edited by TEANUS
British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS
  • Like 6
  • LMAO 16
  • YAAAS 1
  • Sad 1

Cybertronica
2 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

But it does. My friend has no comorbidities and is considered in no way at risk for the virus (by virus standards, she's "young," and she's in shape and physically active). She and her husband caught it back in March. Her husband is okay, but she has long-lasting lung damage and now has to use an inhaler every single day. She wakes up in the middle of the night with trouble breathing, even now. 

This is just one example. There are numerous people considered "not at risk" who are dying from the virus or whom are suffering long-term affects. Maybe it's overall a small percentage, but some of us don't feel like playing roulette with our lives. 

I'm not saying that lockdowns are or aren't the answer, as I believe a number of measures need to be enacted and followed in order to successfully combat the virus, and lockdowns alone enough are not enough. However, we need to take this virus seriously. 

Thanks. I can't believe people are still downplaying the virus here... :awkney:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 27

Faysalaaa

Why does my country only have 800 covid cases a day, yet we are fully open like there is no covid? maybe the numbers released in my country is a lie?

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 1

Daylight Jokers

His lack of empathy is gross.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 11