🎃 Spotify Playlist 🎃

Sign in to follow this  
science

New Spinosaurus teeth discovered

FfFfFfFF

spinosaurus-teeth-mm9074_191021.ngsversi

More than 95 million years ago, a mighty river system roared through what is now the Moroccan Sahara, providing a home to one of the most unusual river monsters known to science, the predatory dinosaur Spinosaurus. Fully grown, the 50-foot-long, seven-ton beast stretched longer than an adult Tyrannosaurus rex and had an elongated snout similar to a crocodile’s that bristled with sharp, conical teeth.

Now, paleontologists plumbing these ancient sediments have found large abundances of those conical teeth at two sites in southeastern Morocco. 

1599px-Spinosaurus_aegyptiacus_underwater.pngimage_8875-Spinosaurus-aegyptiacus-Teeth.jpg

Because these rocks formed from river sediments, the discovery implies that Spinosaurus lost its teeth in the water far more often than other dinosaurs that lived in the region—further bolstering the case that this animal was a unique aquatic killer.

More fossils will surely come from the rocks of the Kem Kem—and these teeth are far from the last word on the beguiling Spinosaurus. But for now, at least, the data match up with a provocative image of the distant past: a massive, crocodile-like dinosaur swimming through mighty rivers where the Sahara now lies.

lgpost_1588088496613.jpgspinosaurus-mm9074_og.png

dinosaurteethweb.jpg

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/09/case-for-river-monster-spinosaurus-strengthened-by-new-fossil-teeth/

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

PunkTheFunk

Jesus Christ, imagine swimming in the ocean and seeing one of these lurking below you :air:

DC

*Me reading everything within 3 seconds*

tim-burton-charlie-and-the-chocolate-fac

• LMAO 1

FfFfFfFF
3 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Jesus Christ, imagine swimming in the ocean and seeing one of these lurking below you :air:

It seems that Cher made it through this situation so it must not have been that bad. :ohno:

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • LMAO 1

Yxilon

:fail: most vertebrate fossils do preserve in acquatic sediments because of alluvial transport. Even though it is pretty proved that Spinosaurus was at least partially an ecologically water-related animal, to assert that finding some teeth in acquatic sediments means that the fossil actually belongs to an acquatic animal is a huge and misleading mistake. There is a thing called taphonomy to be taken into consideration. Most terrestrial vertebrates that are not affected by alluvial transport after their death do not fossilize due to weathering.

Everything could be everything (it could mean anything)

StarstruckIllusion

More cool science pls 🥺

River

shiity dino, it can kill in the sea and on the land

f-ck it

I'd rather be dead but I guess I'm alive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dirkje

Show me your teeth! 

Stanlist: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Dua Lipa, Fifth Harmony girls, unperfect, Grace VanderWaal, Rina Sawayama

pratz

Imagine being a soft water dinosaur and swimming in the fear of these horrific sea monsters 🥺

Woolfsmck

Mostly the spinosawrus didn't have a very good dentist ... so they lost a lot more teeth than the other sawrusii

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true