💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Chromatica couldn’t outlast Joanne. Why?

petty

Featured Posts

LilyLark
9 hours ago, M Monstre said:

This. I'm sorry, and look, maybe this is blasmephous to say, but I feel like a lot of people here overestimate Gaga's popularity in the GP. Don't get me wrong, Gaga is respected and loved by people, but she's just not as popular as she used to be. Taylor is just objectively the more popular artist, and quite frankly, a lot of today's artists are more "popular" than Gaga—at least right now. Will those artists have the longevity that Gaga has? Only time will tell, but the fact of the matter is that Gaga herself is fairly niche (for lack of a better term) now. Again, a lot of the GP respect her as an artist, but she's just not as big as she once was. 

I would say Gaga's still pretty massive—she had the second highest female debut of the year and one of the highest debuts of the year. Plus, SL & ROM did well. I don't want to start people on trashing other artists, but she sold far more than one singer who gets more media attention & her singles did far better than another who is in her "bracket."

But you aren't wrong....Gaga is probably in the top 5 of the most popular female artists...but towards the bottom of the top 5...and there are a lot of male artists who are more popular than Gaga. She also doesn't garner as much media attention (which can help with sales).

And she's definitely more of a "niche" artist even if she's fairly massive....Chromatica was designed to be played in the clubs & for the gays. This is going to be a weird comparison, but it's kind of like Diplo who is massive but his songs/collabs/productions don't do as many #s as they used to do. TBH in some ways it's probably better for Gaga now because she has more critical success and is less polarizing (so she doesn't have to deal with as many nasty tabloid articles cause it was clear some of them used to bug her). IMO a lot of artists would kill for Gaga's general respect (even people who don't like her basically admit she has serious pipes) & longevity over burning bright and flaming out.

*And at the end of the day Gaga is never going to do Taylor or Adele numbers...although she may come closer if she puts out more ASIB/Joanne style music.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bolkins

Idk as morbid as it is if Gaga died tomorrow she would go down in history as one of the ultimate greats like Mj or Elvis levels of legacy. Chart positions and everything like that are ultimately meaningless compared to impact she’s had during her career. Let’s all hope that she dies when she’s like 127 or something but yeah all of that ‘stuff’ just doesn’t matter at the end of the day. 

Reality
8 hours ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I never denied that she’s not as popular girl. I’m just stating that she literally is not overrated at all. If anything Taylor is. 

We’re talking about their popularity. Taylor is not overrated at all. Look at what folklore did. I’m also not saying that Gaga isn’t popular, but I do think she’s overestimated (not overrated) by this fan base.

🃏🖤👹

SHALLOW
12 hours ago, selenalavigne said:

Joanne is the better album :vegas:

Yup. Joanne sounds timeless tbh. Most of the songs on it just won’t age. 

Gagaloo911

OP comes off as literally so ignorant and it shows. Do you not realize how promo sensitive Gaga is?? Her music has always needed significant amounts of promo to sell, including in the begining. Gaga has NEVER been able to just release and have instant success.

Literally the only reason Joanne did as well as it did was because of all the promo and the second wind it had from the Superbowl which was MASSIVE. If not for that it wouldn't have even gotten the 4 weeks Top 10 that Chromatica was able to get on its own merits.

So, no, it's not that we "got the same result". Chromatica effectively had 0 promo and relied solely on her name which is saying something considering that obviously she's not as popular as she once was.

Go educate yourself or something before coming making ignorant remarks that aren't true ATRL user.

Aga Gydal

COVID and promo. A dance album is not going to get much mileage out of people when they're stuck at home. There was also essentially no promotion. Chromatica pulled amazing numbers on Gaga's name alone. I have to laugh at fans who are complaining - a dance album released during quarantine with literally zero promotional appearances and zero performances. And the album was her highest debut since Born This Way. She's powerful as hell, but ya'll don't wanna see it.

Folklore is not the same situation at all. Taylor Swift is probably the biggest musician on the planet and by a significant margin. Her music is easily accessible and appeals to several demographics. Gaga's music is more eccentric, queer and club-focused so her audience is automatically more niche. Folklore was made with quarantine in mind and a surprise drop gets massive headlines and hype. They are completely different musicians with very different reach. 

2 hours ago, Gagaloo911 said:

Go educate yourself or something before coming making ignorant remarks that aren't true ATRL user.

LMFAO :billie: imagine writing an essay to this thread? Y’all always take everything so personal I have to SCREAM

JANNNNEEEEEEEE
15 hours ago, FudgeyBear said:

Y’all worry about the charts and public opinion too much. Who cares if it’s not number 1 two months later? I’m still jamming out daily with minimal stress and I bet Gaga feels the same. She got her number 1 album with impressive first week sales, a number 1 song that’s still top 40 2 months later, and another top 5 song. Just enjoy the album.

YAS STOP the drama and ENJOY Gagas music 

Video Dream
15 hours ago, Doot said:

Let's be realistic:

Taylor is like fast food. Easy and simple. 

Gaga requires effort and skill. 

I'm sorry but no. Folklore's songwriting is way better than Chromatica's, even if I love it. Just because it is a laid back, folk(ish) record doesn't mean it didn't require efforts. 

steven

If Joanne had been released this year instead of Chromatica, I'm pretty sure it would have done better on the charts.

Big Reputation
1 hour ago, Video Dream said:

I'm sorry but no. Folklore's songwriting is way better than Chromatica's, even if I love it. Just because it is a laid back, folk(ish) record doesn't mean it didn't require efforts. 

Facts! Taylor’s songwriting is really masterful! It’s a gorgeous album

When it’s dark outside you’re always the light

Genuine Guy 09

It is Embarrassing and it probably won't outsell either the rate its going :rip:

Gaga is usually frontloaded outside of her peaks, and a woman at Gaga's age doing that music especially so. Her smashing and serving longevity or better than Chromatica would be HAC music, yes 

Stare at the Chartster in the mirror they talk to me too. #StreamFunTonight

• Admin locked this topic

Archived