💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

TikTok creates insensitive filter

Lighter

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Aarghya said:

Well, why you have to use classical Indian songs to mock yourself? Why he can't use his own cultural songs? Stick with your own culture.

2 hours ago, Wet Fire said:

To anyone wondering why Indians might find it wrong:

Imagine a white person using a filter which distorts face according to the accent or speech pattern of a black person.

Accent, speech, like music is intrinsic to race.

If this white guy had used an element of culture which he knows because of his close proximity with it (not something 'exotic' or 'oriental') , it won't have been bad.

Sorry that people on here are being so aggressive against y'all, actual South Asians, expressing your concerns.

GGD isn't the best place to have nuanced discussions on race and culture but what you guys have to say need to be taken in higher consideration, esp. above the overwhelming non-South Asian majority.

headspin, happiness, DEÌ€ÌŁAÌąÌŻÍ”Ì˜T͏͙̗̟̫HÍĄÍ…Ì—Ì™

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t figure out why the filter is funny. I don’t get it. :ohwell:

Wet Fire
1 minute ago, gag said:

Sorry that people on here are being so aggressive against y'all, actual South Asians, expressing your concerns.

GGD isn't the best place to have nuanced discussions on race and culture but what you guys have to say need to be taken in higher consideration, esp. above the overwhelming non-South Asian majority.

Omg such a nice gesture. :hug: Thank you.

Mirrion Rizzons

As an Indian myself, this is NOT offensive in any way :ladyhaha:

the internet is so cruel to James, it seems he can never do right in some people’s eyes 

AdmistTheLight
1 hour ago, Wet Fire said:

What an ignorant comment. :emma:

Using westernn culture as a joke (though it is wrong) is not same as using other cultures as joke.

Do you even know the world is dominated by Western countries with white majority?

Or that it is a form of colonialism through media?

Other cultures don't get the privilege which white culture gets because of the west-domination in the world.

Yes, thank you for leturing me about my culture. I have not learn any of those things for my MBA in Communication at all.

Liberaté mi amor

GagaEnigma

Gosh I thought that it was like blackface or smth, like it's not that bad, it's just a joke/funny filter :triggered:

AdmistTheLight
2 hours ago, Aarghya said:

That's why I used the word - Classical, who made fun of Gospel music? 

Everyone I know :sweat:, when we try to sound comedically dramatic. Is his humour taste juvenile? Maybe. But we are talking about racism here aren't we?

Liberaté mi amor

Wet Fire
9 minutes ago, AdmistTheLight said:

Yes, thank you for leturing me about my culture. I have not learn any of those things for my MBA in Communication at all.

Then reflect it in your comment. :shrug:

Wet Fire
1 minute ago, buzzkill said:

Is it really this deep? :awkney:

No. But it's really nuanced.

CyanDante
1 minute ago, buzzkill said:

Is it really this deep? :awkney:

Not really. Some Indians feel that a certain tiktok meme might be borderline racist and is making a caricature of Indian Classical music.

On the other hand, you have people from other nationalities and ethnicities telling them or rather policing them how they should feel about it. 

Quite simple. 

I'm not very good with Social MediaᔀáŽč

homomo

There’s sure a lot of white European & North American members with zero connection to Indian culture expressing their opinion on something that doesn’t concern them in here 👀 

And yes, I know a lot of you are white, English speaking folks. Y’all post way too much personal information on here. I can basically get into all of your bank accounts by now

CyanDante

Also there was a certain comment made here earlier by a user , who literally told us, that since some of the Indians are feeling offended about white people making caricatures of indian classical music which takes years and years to master, we don't have a right to enjoy Lady Gaga or her music and need to get over ourselves and out of here.

So y'all can judge. Who's being sensitive and who's not.

I would have quoted the comment. But for some funny reason, that comment seems to have vanished into thin air. :applause:

I'm not very good with Social MediaᔀáŽč

• Jase locked this topic

Archived