💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

music news

Rina Sawayama blocked from entering British Awards

Eido

Featured Posts

Because she cannot have the double nationality and permanent resident/workers are forbidden from entering awards without a British Passport.

Even though she lived in England since she was a toddler.

But I think the problem lies somewhere else, Japan doesn't believe in mixing or double nationality. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
weed

she still has a Japanese passport after living in England for 25 years? :confused:

buzzkill
1 minute ago, SineFromHell said:

But don't non-british artists get nominated for BRITs? 

only for the international categories... but Rina has lived her whole life there.... there's no motive that she can't be nominated...

Yeah the bureaucracy sucks in Japan, I can't claim my citizenship even though I'm half-Japanese, but this is plain xenophobic / racist coming from Mercury and the BRITs. Rina has been in the UK longer than Dua Lipa has but the latter is eligible because she was born there, that's ****ed.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

SineFromHell
2 minutes ago, buzzkill said:

only for the international categories... but Rina has lived her whole life there.... there's no motive that she can't be nominated...

Gotcha! That's very unfair to Rina then. Especially if she is a permanent resident.

Franch Toast

I have a friend who has dual nationality with Japan and the US, and another whose daughter has TRIPLE nationality with the US, Canada, and Japan. 

For Rina, it sounds like the problem is on the UK's side, not with Japan. 

She/Her/Hers

5 minutes ago, paradox said:

britain allows dual nationality, japan doesn't

sounds like she chose japan :bear:

She indeed chose to not lose her Japanese citizenship, first because her family is there, because it is hard to have it, and because respect is everything there. But other than that, Japan is extremely hmmm not ok with strangers and mixed Japanese and I think Rina is Hafu so... Not helping 

7 minutes ago, buzzkill said:

I don't even think she could have applied for the international category since her album was produced by a UK company and she is signed to a UK company. 

OMonster

That was an extremely interesting read. Thanks for sharing. 

I didn't know that award shows had such a clause - and, I agree, it does seem wildly unfair. 

So... she's been granted Indefinite Leave To Remain, but isn't a British passport holder because Japan (where she holds full citizenship) doesn't allow their citizens to have dual passports... hence not matching the award show requirements. 

You'd think they'd be able to add in an exception for those with ILTR. It's pretty clear cut, no?

That said... I don't agree with her view that award shows shouldn't implement 'border control' to verify an artist's origin. 

In this instance, the verification is highly unfair - but that doesn't altogether negate the need to verify... it just stresses the need to change the process.

I mean, of course award shows should 'check' that they are awarding eligible artists. An exclusively BRITISH award should be for BRITISH people, only. I get that. But they need to extend the definition of British to those who are legally allowed to live here, even without a passport... I guess that's the point. 

I just didn't particularly like her kind of 'dragging' award shows for verifying an artist's eligibility. It felt like she was suggesting it is racist or biased to exclude international citizens from national awards... which is just not the case at all, and, imo, is a view (if popularised) that could be very damaging to a country's unique culture and right to honour that. 

subtext / fantasy

audrey horne

Meanwhile Charli XCX has lived in USA for 5+ years, produced and recorded her most recents works in LA and managed to get into BRITS shortlist. Not blaming her in any way but it really shows how citizenship rules are absurd when it comes to reward "national" artists and work when it's based on identity papers only. 

Are they gonna make the reach to nominate her in the international categories? 

Blastertoyo
9 minutes ago, buzzkill said:

10 minutes ago, weed said:

she still has a Japanese passport after living in England for 25 years? :confused:

11 minutes ago, SineFromHell said:

But don't non-british artists get nominated for BRITs? 

If she’s that Japanese then they should nominate her as an international artist

sounds like just racism to me 

please enlighten me to death

paradox
Just now, Eido said:

She indeed chose to not lose her Japanese citizenship, first because her family is there, because it is hard to have it, and because respect is everything there. But other than that, Japan is extremely hmmm not ok with strangers and mixed Japanese and I think Rina is Hafu so... Not helping 

yes i know very well i lived there for 4 years :bear: 

Archived