Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Folklore debuts with metascore of 93 (4 reviews)

LateToCult

Featured Posts

Wet Fire
6 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I think it's a digestible and a record, in a genre that is thought to be superior to electronic and pop music, more 'organic' and more likeable. Perhaps the surprise release hype contributed a bit to it. There isn't a pop stigma or anything controversial/ alienating about this album so in this sense it makes completely sense why critics are eating it up..

Yes. I thought the same. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMonster

This will mark a big turn in Taylor's career. 

I can't see her going back to songs like Me / YNTCD after releasing something so mature and lowkey. 

subtext / fantasy

Chromatography
40 minutes ago, My Name Isnt Alice said:

I don't trust them anymore after giving chromatica 79 

They're just picking numbers like in a lottery

hot take; chromatica doesn’t deserve anything above 80

Blastertoyo
5 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

yes, and what about it:dom:

Speak Now got a 77

You were in college, working part-time, waiting tables
Left a small town, never looked back
I was a flight risk, with a fear of fallin'
Wondering why we bother with love, if it never lasts

please enlighten me to death

My Name Isnt Alice
2 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

So first you guys says she lost her passion 

Now her new album doesn't deserve scores

I'm done:bye:

Maybe taylor just have loving fans 

Tired At Home GIF

Economy
1 hour ago, likeitrough said:

do something about this stefani! 

She will go have pizza with Michael :vegas:

Chromatography
Just now, My Name Isnt Alice said:

So first you guys says she lost her passion 

Now her new album doesn't deserve scores

I'm done:bye:

i didn’t say the first thing. i don’t think out of her body of work chromatica deserves to be the one with 80+ score. it should be tfm and btw. 

Wet Fire
1 minute ago, Chromatography said:

I think most people are only complaining because how biased and/or arbitrary the scoring is. There are countless albums in history which have more metascore than they deserve or less than they do. So, if a lot of inferior albums get more than 80, then why shouldn't Chromatica get more? I think this is what people are thinking...

Chromatography
Just now, Wet Fire said:

I think most people are only complaining because how biased and/or arbitrary the scoring is. There are countless albums in history which have more metascore than they deserve or less than they do. So, if a lot of inferior albums get more than 80, then why shouldn't Chromatica get more? I think this is what people are thinking...

okay, that’s a fair point and i didn’t think of it that way. i think gaga does get slanted in her scores because of who she is. i really think half of her body of work should be 80+ but no one really cares about the scores except stans

35 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Because the Grammys care about critics right? lol Don't get me wrong, I love Fiona, but she isn't getting that AOTY:/ just like all the good albums before her

I mean, there aren't many records that come along with such universal acclaim that just the idea of them being so well-regarded would push votes that way, but FTBC is definitely one of those albums. I think there's a threshold of acclaim that, when reached, allows even people who aren't normally "into" a certain sound of music to appreciate the arrival of a masterwork in that genre.

And yeah, plenty of critics' darlings won AOTY over way more popular albums. Beck won over Beyonce and Pharrell and Ed Sheeran in 2015, after nearly 20 years since his first major nomination... Hopefully they do the same for Fiona, since she's another artist who arguably deserved the award for a previous album and may nab it this year simply because she's been around long enough that people will be voting to recognize her legacy as much as her album.

Wet Fire
Just now, Chromatography said:

okay, that’s a fair point and i didn’t think of it that way. i think gaga does get slanted in her scores because of who she is. i really think half of her body of work should be 80+ but no one really cares about the scores except stans

Yes. The image of the singer matters a lot. And consider how other factors i.e. surprise release contribute to the scores. It's not really always only about music.

My Name Isnt Alice
3 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

This is exactly what I'm thinking 

FfFfFfFF
11 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

Yes. I thought the same. 

Besides, another factor that comes into play is that albums have more positive receptions in recent years. Dua Lipa, Beyonce and now Taylor all have 90+ scores. This was completely unheard of in the 2000s. No Bjork album had such a high score..

A 80 score isn't that high anymore after so many pop artists have one or more albums with 80+ scores. Soon 90+ scores will not be *that* incredibile anymore.

rumours
57 minutes ago, My Name Isnt Alice said:

I don't trust them anymore after giving chromatica 79 

Totally agree. At best, Chromatica should have gotten like a 60. 

Archived