⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
society

29 members of U.S. Congress ask Canada to consider reopening border

Webb7
Posted (edited)

Coronavirus cases may be skyrocketing in the United States, but a group of lawmakers there is asking for Canada to come to the virtual table to plan a phased reopening of the Canada-U.S. border.

These 29 Congress members wrote to the Canadian government to warn that the ongoing closure — extended numerous times throughout the pandemic — are creating tension and uncertainty.

The most recent agreement to close the border is set to expire July 21. CBC News confirmed Monday that the agreement will be extended into August. 

Kathleen Rice, a Democratic representative from New York, is among those calling for a phased reopening of the border. She spoke with As It Happens guest host Nil Köksal about the issue on Friday. Here is part of their conversation. 

Representative Rice, is now really the right time to talk about potentially reopening the border given the situation with COVID-19 in the U.S.?

Obviously, we're seeing a spike in some cases across the country, but I think that we have to … begin the conversation about how we intend to roll out an eventual reopening of the border because we know that day is going to come. So I think it's better that we just start to … get all of our health experts together, all of the relevant parties together, to have a conversation, understanding that the most important thing to prioritize is the safety of our communities as we try to minimize health risks.

But what would you say to Canadians who find even the idea of reopening the border frightening when they see the numbers rising every day in the United States and mixed messages from leadership?

I understand it was a recent poll that found that 81 per cent of Canadians are in favour of these restrictions remaining in place at the border. Listen, I get it. I'm not suggesting that we open the border right now. But what I would say to Canadians is, there is so much cross-border activity that we owe it to both Canadians and Americans that rely on border crossing … to at least begin to craft a comprehensive framework for phased reopening of the border based on facts and science. 

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-friday-edition-1.5642241/29-members-of-u-s-congress-ask-canada-to-consider-reopening-border-1.5647607

Edited by Webb7
  • LMAO 2
  • Sad 4

Blastertoyo
Posted (edited)

Wtf no 

How can they even be thinking about it? 

Do they not realize thousands of their people have died? 

Edited by Blastertoyo
  • Thanks 2

pachinko

No. I'm american and want to protect canadians from us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

heygurlhi

giphy.gif

Ignore me i drink
  • LMAO 4

homomo

There’s so many Americans here in Ireland being banned from entering pubs and other establishments, because they have stupidly admitted they aren’t following 14 day quarantine measures.

All borders need to be closed to Americans for the time being. No questions.

• Like 2
  • Shook 3

Mister G
Posted (edited)

I’m here in the US and I’m fine with Canada keeping us out. Keep the borders closed until next year. These legislators just want to spread the mess over to Canada after they’ve done such a good job at containing the spread. 

I hope Canadian officials respectfully decline their offer. 

Edited by Mister G
-Mister G
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Twitter

That’s dumb.

Canadians think its dumb.

I’m American and think its dumb.

American news and social networking service.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

Bonkers

THE NERVE!!! :grr:

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates
  • LMAO 1

Thomas P

Stay the **** out. Reporting over 60,000 cases a day, and somehow think this is fair :madge:

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

The Idler Wheel

Americans need to learn to reap what they sow, and this is only the first sign of what's to come.

• Like 2

Mister G
1 minute ago, Twitter said:

That’s dumb.

Canadians think its dumb.

I’m American and think its dumb.

Amen. Like wtf? Unless it’s something “essential” like transporting goods and what not, but this is an eager attempt and provoking some form of tourism in between the two countries. Sorry but I’m #TeamCanada on this one. The U.S. butchered its handling of the outbreak; Canada shouldn’t be put at risk because our government officials and citizens decided to be irresponsible.

-Mister G
  • Like 4

Webb7
2 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

Stay the **** out. Reporting over 60,000 cases a day, and somehow think this is fair :madge:

Today US smashes new record 67K cases :saladga:

• Sad 1

Grace

I want the borders open myself, for very selfish reasons (so I can see my Fiance), but like, its absolutely IDIOTIC to open the borders while COVID is so mishandled in the states.  Are these congressmen brain damaged, do they not understand what's going on?

Webb7

So far the border will remain close until August 21 and maybe longer :vegas:

Mister G

Embarrassing that we’re supposed to be the richest country in the world and our cases are surging at the rate of a developing nation.

-Mister G
  • Thanks 1