⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

💌 fan envelope 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

USA Will Kick Out Foreign Students

alsemanche

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Foreign students must leave the United States if their school’s classes this fall will be taught completely online or transfer to another school with in-person instruction, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency announced on Monday.

It was not immediately clear how many student visa holders would be affected by the move, but foreign students are a key source of revenue for many U.S. universities as they often pay full tuition.

ICE said it would not allow holders of student visas to remain in the country if their school was fully online for the fall. Those students must transfer or leave the country, or they potentially face deportation proceedings, according to the announcement.

Colleges and universities have begun to announce plans for the fall 2020 semester amid the continued coronavirus pandemic. Harvard University on Monday announced it would conduct course instruction online for the 2020-2021 academic year.

The ICE guidance applies to holders of F-1 and M-1 visas, which are for academic and vocational students. The State Department issued 388,839 F visas and 9,518 M visas in fiscal 2019, according to the agency’s data.

The guidance does not affect students taking classes in person. It also does not affect F-1 students taking a partial online course-load, as long as their university certifies the student’s instruction is not completely digital. M-1 vocational program students and F-1 English language training program students will not be allowed to take any classes online.

President Donald Trump’s administration has imposed a number of new restrictions to legal and illegal immigration in recent months as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

In June, the administration suspended work visas for a wide swath of nonimmigrant workers that it argued compete with U.S. citizens for jobs. The administration has also effectively suspended the admission of asylum seekers at the southern border with Mexico, citing coronavirus-related health risks as justification.

Source: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-visas-students/u-s-to-force-out-foreign-students-taking-classes-fully-online-idUKKBN2472UC

• Sad 8

Morphine Prince

Trump's administration attacking education? Shocked. 

• Like 2

RenegAde
Posted (edited)

WTH ?? chweny chweny is getting worst by the day

Edited by RenegAde
  • Like 1

ThisGuyTony

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/ice-tells-foreign-students-leave-u-s-if-their-school-n1233026?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

The government announced Monday that international students will not be allowed to stay in the country if the institution in which they're enrolled is holding online-only courses this fall, and those failing to comply with the rules will risk deportation.

• Shook 6
  • Sad 13

Franch Toast

So f*cked up. 

She/Her/Hers
  • Like 3

Dramatica

Well, Melania Trump better start packing

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.
  • LMAO 2

M Monstre

That's...insane.

My school has a lot of international/foreign students too. 

Aarghya
Posted (edited)

I was an international exchange student in the US and I feel so bad right now after hearing this news :( 

Edited by Aarghya
  • Like 1

justhislife
Posted (edited)

How ridiculous. They pour money into the economy, I thought that's what they wanted? Does anybody know what percent of study abroad students are employed here? Maybe he's kicking them out to free up jobs for Americans (not an excuse personally)? 

I just hope that colleges will create 0 hour courses that are classified as in person in order to save these students.

Edited by justhislife
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 1

Pennywise

Okay, that's it. I'm officially changing my PhD plans from the U.S. to Europe. I can't commit to working and studying somewhere I won't ever feel safe. I really, really wanted an Ivy League college tho :fatcat:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Like 8

Spyro

What the bionic f*ck???  November/January can't come soon enough.

Spyro the Dragon
  • Thanks 1

Argentum

. . . . I am PhD student in an ivy league school here in the US and, in my department, like 90% of the graduate students who are conducting research are foreign nationals (myself included). A lot of foreign nationals are carrying the research in many institutions....

And it's not like we are taking the spot from anyone else. It is actually more convenient to hire US citizens as researchers because they are easier to get government funding etc. However, in my field at least, it is very hard to find US candidates looking for research positions.

"More job openings for the American people" is very much a blanket statement that does not apply to every field and especially in academia . . . . 

"Δεν είσαι αγάπη. Δεν είσαι αγάπη. Είσαι οφθαλμαπάτη. Η τέλεια οφθαλμαπάτη" - Λαίδη Γκάγκα, 2016
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

raragaga

i wanna move out of this sht hole

xoxo

Reginald

This is absolute madness  :saladga: and also places pressure on educational institutions to open in a potentially unsafe health climate. 

The people behind this administration are intentionally cruel, and evil to their core. I hope society has no mercy, none at all, for them once Trump is out of office.

I've spent too long dancing all alone, dancing to the same song.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1