Charts Discussion

corvus albus

Featured Posts

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pop ate my heart
49 minutes ago, n1kos said:

omg billie be getting on my nervesss :saladga: how long ago was that album released btw?

am i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-p-plastic

JustTea
15 hours ago, The Clown said:

Are these Twitter posts even reliable? Where exactly are they getting their info from?

Streaming services and China charts. Pure sales aren't probably even counted anymore apart from the biggest ones.

15 hours ago, LGMonster95 said:

The units for Chromatica seems about right but I don't believe the numbers for Stupid Love and Rain On Me for ex, they recently surpassed 1m in US, I don't understand from where the other numbers comes from

Because US isn't the world. Also they count streams and sales like RIAA does.

Also Mediatraffic had SL at ~2M like 3 months ago. :yennefer:

StarstruckIllusion

not that music critics deserve rights, but thinking about how Gaga released the most critically acclaimed album twelve in her career, Chromatica. Triconic. 

TSUNAMI
8 hours ago, joannethenight said:

#69 -8

Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande - Rain On Me (Official Music Video)

Egxh7ToXcAElIRq?format=jpg&name=medium

I would buy it because I love the color. 

Btw, wtf is this logo? 

RAI
ON
N
ME

Andreu
1 hour ago, TSUNAMI said:

Btw, wtf is this logo? 

RAI
ON
N
ME

The same logo that appears in the single cover :bradley:

The Clown
1 hour ago, JustTea said:

Streaming services and China charts. Pure sales aren't probably even counted anymore apart from the biggest ones.

Hmm. Okay, so at this point, I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, are all streams created equal? Are YouTube views as relevant as Spotify streams? Are Spotify streams worth the same wether they are watched by a paying vs non-paying user? If so, what accounts for the huge difference reported between a song like Shallow and one like Bon Apétit (that, for whatever readon, is super viral on YT)?

Secondly, when it comes to album sales, how are the single vs. non-single streams taken into account? Halsey replaced Nightmare with Without Me on Manic. If she were to switch them back up, would it literally decrease the album sales? If that's the case, wouldn't that offer an unfair advantage to "single artists" over "album artists"? Haven't people like Rihanna or Katy proved that huge singles don't always correlate with huge album sales?

Thirdly, won't these stats be wildly innacurate when it comes to comparing careers that started before the streaming era with current artists? I looked through their tweets and they have Ariana's total at 388M records, with Britney at only 312M. I find that highly unlikely... Streaming adds this dimension of replayability to measuring a track's success, a dimension that didn't exist during the digital era (because you buy the song once and that's that, it won't help the artist if you decide to listen to it every day from then on). It makes what would have normally been moderate hits look much bigger, thanks to reccuring.

Finally, if streaming is king, is it time for it to become the norm for measureing a track's success by, much like we used to do with certifications? And if it does become the norm, how do we take into account the constant breaking of records in this new medium as more people are joining Spotify?

CataleyaDeters
57 minutes ago, The Clown said:

Hmm. Okay, so at this point, I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, are all streams created equal? Are YouTube views as relevant as Spotify streams? Are Spotify streams worth the same wether they are watched by a paying vs non-paying user? If so, what accounts for the huge difference reported between a song like Shallow and one like Bon Apétit (that, for whatever readon, is super viral on YT)?

Secondly, when it comes to album sales, how are the single vs. non-single streams taken into account? Halsey replaced Nightmare with Without Me on Manic. If she were to switch them back up, would it literally decrease the album sales? If that's the case, wouldn't that offer an unfair advantage to "single artists" over "album artists"? Haven't people like Rihanna or Katy proved that huge singles don't always correlate with huge album sales?

Thirdly, won't these stats be wildly innacurate when it comes to comparing careers that started before the streaming era with current artists? I looked through their tweets and they have Ariana's total at 388M records, with Britney at only 312M. I find that highly unlikely... Streaming adds this dimension of replayability to measuring a track's success, a dimension that didn't exist during the digital era (because you buy the song once and that's that, it won't help the artist if you decide to listen to it every day from then on). It makes what would have normally been moderate hits look much bigger, thanks to reccuring.

Finally, if streaming is king, is it time for it to become the norm for measureing a track's success by, much like we used to do with certifications? And if it does become the norm, how do we take into account the constant breaking of records in this new medium as more people are joining Spotify?

easy answer we take into consideration that new artist like lady gaga and ariana grande needs 70-80% of this number in certifications ....so wwe can estimate how much people actually have ... The problem with that is that people generally are undercertified unless you are katy perry ed sherran and justin bieber or taylor swift ....

Cataleya Deters

hankhatesyouall

Do we know where Smile is going to chart next week? Will it stay in the top 50? 

I'm really curious whether it will manage to out-chart Glory.

• SharkmanthaC locked this topic
  • PartySick unpinned and pinned this topic
  • PartySick unpinned this topic

Archived