⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
science

Bizarre new planet is largest known rocky world, 40x massive as Earth

FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)

e612f115ed87b2c783458307d9c3b830.jpg

730 light years away, not far on the scale of our galaxy, an utterly bizarre planet orbits a sun-like star. Big, dense, and tightly tethered to its home star, the planet is unlike anything astronomers have yet seen—either in our own solar system or afar.

The roasted world known as TOI-849b is the most massive rocky planet ever observed, with as much as 40 Earths’ worth of material crammed inside. Perplexingly, TOI-849b’s tremendous bulk suggests that it should be a giant, gassy world like Jupiter, yet it has almost no atmosphere. Explaining how such a world emerged challenges what scientists understand about how planets grow.

Exoplanet-TOI-849b-Planet-Remnant.jpg

“It’s very difficult to make a planet as massive and dense as TOI-849b without it becoming a gas giant,” David Armstrong, an exoplanet researcher at the University of Warwick.

“These are the objects that push theory further, and make the fields of exoplanets and planetary science so exciting,” study co-author Ravit Helled of the University of Zurich says in an email.

“It’s definitely weird!” adds Jonathan Fortney, director of the Other Worlds Laboratory at the University of California Santa Cruz, who wasn’t involved in the observations. “But I’m not sure what it’s telling us.”

d46197cb99b83c248d375e3f9646ab8c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

S: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/07/bizarre-planet-largest-known-rocky-world-40-times-as-massive-as-earth/

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 4
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 3
  • Shook 2

Focz

For a moment I thought that the sign of Chromatica was engraved with fire :derpga:

Love yourself 💜.
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

thatfoxyfeeling

I really find it hard to fathom how big the universe really is. It’s about time we landed on Mars. :enigma:

• Like 2

Gracious Gaga

and y'all say "gAgA nEEds To PrOmOtE tHe AlBuM" 

♥ Kindness Police.
  • LMAO 1

Gracious Gaga
28 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

d46197cb99b83c248d375e3f9646ab8c.jpg

someone put the Enigma photo here, please

og-enigma.jpg

♥ Kindness Police.

GNZAREVILO

Omgg

Dramatica

That means its gravity is way higher, which means if hoomans go there we would be very short :green:

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 1

Quartz

That´s like Mercury on steroids.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

POP2
14 minutes ago, thatfoxyfeeling said:

I really find it hard to fathom how big the universe really is. It’s about time we landed on Mars. :enigma:

It hurts my brain:koons: