šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
life

Gaga Tweets: Change in the industry begins now

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

beaublue
1 minute ago, Supersonic said:

Yeah because this is a specific diagram to show the influence and impact African music and Black musicians have had on modern music. Nobody is questioning the influence of classical music from Europe, we been knew. It's prominently known, even by people who don't take an interest in music, while the influence of Black musicians constantly gets called into question and there is barely any light shed on this in a bigger scope of things.

I agree that black contributionsĀ are heavily ignored

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Franz Ferdinand
Just now, Autumn said:

it isn't 'i don't see color'. the point is, that the way to stop racial exclusion and racial discrimination, we need to stop making black people and black things seem different to everything else. we need to see the issues, and call them out, but by using black labels in the solution, we're still excluding instead of including.

No. Those differences do not make for racism, rather how society views those differences is how racism gets constructed. This whole idea that we need to stop emphasizing difference and start "including" is just another way of silencing. Black culture is its own thing, stop tryna "include" it in "human culture" or whatever. Black culture is unique, learn about it and respect it, period. Don't come out here and claim that naming it is a form of exclusion sis, acknowledging difference and respecting it is the only way forward.Ā 

Morphine Prince

Not yā€™all bringing up centuries old music :lmao:Ā 

I think we are all intelligent enough to understand the modern western music industry began in the 20th century and the BILLIONS of dollars made by this music and its exportation to the world by the US is DIRECTLY because of black artists.Ā 

Yes, read it and weep. Black people have even influenced your far away country. Look deeper. Youā€™ll find it.Ā 

beaublue
4 minutes ago, good said:

You can do some research if you feel up to it,Ā I like to read. I will read it, I promise.Ā Not trying to tear anyone down, but to try and bring the focusĀ back to an important point that should be talked about.Ā 
My opinion, or anyoneā€™s, is not the be and end all to anything. And toĀ be fair, the person I quoted didnā€™t have anything to say about the point that was made aside from a Gaga joke. Which is fine, they are allowed to cope how they feel is best.

And I see now that I had the same condescending attitude that youā€™ve picked up in your reply to me, vaguely insulting theĀ intelligence, which isĀ cool. Negativity is infectious and I should have thought before posting my little gripe.Ā We could all learn how to react to things better I think. No tea, no shade, just pointing some things out that I feel are valid.Ā Iā€™m notĀ mad at anyone. I know that you guys are all awesome people outside of the internet. Thanks for reading and talking with me.

@SupersonicĀ thank you for finding the cool flow chart for us, itā€™s mind blowing how many genres are derived from BlackĀ music.Ā 

Iā€™m glad I got such a wholesome reply! Definitely calms the animosity & yeah I can drop some links if you actually want! This one is particularly great & mentions a documentary on comedy!

https://psychcentral.com/blog/coping-through-comedy/

edengowon
Just now, Franz Ferdinand said:

No. Those differences do not make for racism, rather how society views those differences is how racism gets constructed. This whole idea that we need to stop emphasizing difference and start "including" is just another way of silencing. Black culture is its own thing, stop tryna "include" it in "human culture" or whatever. Black culture is unique, learn about it and respect it, period. Don't come out here and claim that naming it is a form of exclusion sis, acknowledging difference and respecting it is the only way forward.Ā 

if you don't think language holds power then you're incredibly misinformed. numerous studies have proven that the way to change attitudes lies partially in how we speak about and label certain things. i never said black culture wasn't its own thing or it wasn't unique and beautiful and interesting, i said that by saying 'all music', we're making it look like there's some kind of difference between black music and every other culture.Ā i've already stated, using terms like 'black' ARE important for calling out racism. but once you have it laid bare and you're ready for change, perpetuating these labels continue to exclude things. not through homogenisation, but through acceptance and overall embracing and celebration of black culture as completely equal to all other cultures.Ā 

the artist formerly known as melancholia

4 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Not yā€™all bringing up centuries old music :lmao:Ā 

I think we are all intelligent enough to understand the modern western music industry began in the 20th century and the BILLIONS of dollars made by this music and its exportation to the world by the US is DIRECTLY because of black artists.Ā 

Yes, read it and weep. Black people have even influenced your far away country. Look deeper. Youā€™ll find it.Ā 

Why are u rude tho? We all get that black culture influenced probably every modern song that exists. That's cool and more people should knowĀ about that.

The point is that shortening the whole evolution of music into one single sentence "all music is black" is wrong, because it's simply not true. If Gaga posted the picture @SupersonicĀ posted in this thread, it would actually educate people and not mislead them.

Morphine Prince
Just now, LM said:

Why are u rude tho? We all get that black culture influenced probably every modern song that exists. That's cool and more people should known about that.

The point is that shortening the whole evolution of music into one single sentence "all music is black" is wrong, because it's simply not true. If Gaga posted the picture @SupersonicĀ posted in this thread, it would actually educate people and not mislead them.

The truth isnā€™t rude. Your perception of it is. If it bothers you there is an explanation for that.Ā 

Just now, Morphine Prince said:

The truth isnā€™t rude. Your perception of it is. If it bothers you there is an explanation for that.Ā 

are u able to read more than one sentence of my post?:koons:

Morphine Prince
Just now, LM said:

are u able to read more than one sentence of my post?:koons:

Why are YOU being rude?Ā 

Loyalty

This is so good. Iā€™m really glad that Gaga has always been dedicated to making a change. There needs to be more black artists represented in Pop and not just shoved in the Urban category and better marketed.Ā 

Just now, Morphine Prince said:

Why are YOU being rude?Ā 

Because you obviously don't want to have a civil conversation.Ā 

There is a huge amount of music that has 0 black culture influence --> not all music is black. Not that hard to understand tbh

gagaweekly
11 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Black people have even influenced your far away country.

Of course but would you say black music is white music, because it was influenced by classical music? I would say no because black music has it own context even though it was have been influenced by other culture. Same applies to another music. Problem of erasing context of other culture starts when people just get that quote literally.

Franz Ferdinand
Just now, Autumn said:

if you don't think language holds power then you're incredibly misinformed. numerous studies have proven that the way to change attitudes lies partially in how we speak about and label certain things. i never said black culture wasn't its own thing or it wasn't unique and beautiful and interesting, i said that by saying 'all music', we're making it look like there's some kind of difference between black music and every other culture.Ā i've already stated, using terms like 'black' ARE important for calling out racism. but once you have it laid bare and you're ready for change, perpetuating these labels continue to exclude things. not through homogenisation, but through acceptance and overall embracing and celebration of black culture as completely equal to all other cultures.Ā 

Ok first of all, don't patronize me, lol, you don't know me or what knowledge I do or do not hold.

Two things here, first: we don't live in that cute world where Black culture is seen as equal, so that's just countering your own argument. If we're not there yet, we should by all means continue labeling.

Second: even if we did live in that society, how is what you're saying not homogenization? Are there differences between Black music and other music? For sure, Black music is its own thing, and it has influenced a lot of genres everywhere in the world. Not acknowledging this, in the current social landscape, is silencing. And in a totally socially equal landscape, not acknowledging it is tantamount to homogenization.Ā 

joannesrats
28 minutes ago, Autumn said:

i disagree. i think the issue is specifically calling out race in any way. we need to celebrate and support black creators who ARE inherently at a disadvantage within the industry. but specifically calling something out as 'black music', has a series of possible intentions, none of which are clear. imagine if i said something like 'jewish music' or 'gay music' when referring to something by an israeli or homosexual artist. it doesn't sound right because in my opinion, we need to separate race from things entirely. as i said, it's important to call out specific races and racial groups when you're calling out the problem, but by using the word in the solution, you're still specifying it by race instead of normalising it. a statement like 'music is music', immediately includes black music in all music, but by saying 'black music is all music', you're making 'black music' look like something that is separate, something that automatically isn't included.

they're using the idea that black music is seen separately to prove their point. they're saying that all music has aspects of black music in it so it should just be seen as part of music. hence the phrase "black music is all music"

Morphine Prince
Just now, LM said:

Because you obviously don't want to have a civil conversation.Ā 

There is a huge amount of music that has 0 black culture influence --> not all music is black. Not that hard to understand tbh

What is being talked about is the modern western music industry which is all influenced by black people.Ā 

Not that hard to understand.Ā 

Archived