⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
society

Confederate Statues and Other Symbols of Racism Destroyed

Yuuri

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7wbxk/confederate-statues-and-other-symbols-of-racism-all-over-the-country-were-destroyed-by-protesters-this-weekend?utm_source=reddit.com

Confederate statues in Birmingham and Richmond. A former slave market in North Carolina. The national headquarters for a Civil War revisionist group.

In Fayetteville, North Carolina, protesters set fire to the Market House, the site where North Carolina delegates ratified the U.S. Constitution in 1789. Both the Market House that currently stands and its predecessor, the State House, which burned down in 1831, hosted slave auctions well into the years of the Civil War.

Two hundred miles up I-95 North, in Richmond, Virginia, the national headquarters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy was also set on fire.

Protesters in Richmond also tagged a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee, while people in Birmingham, Alabama, succeeded in pulling down a statue of Charles Linn, one of the city’s founders and a captain in the Confederate Navy.

And y'all said riots were bad

• Like 7
  • YAAAS 15
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

CannaeDrive

About time :triggered:

Algorithm, the beat.
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 4

Spyro
Posted (edited)

Edited by Spyro
Spyro the Dragon
  • Love 2

Gagaloo911

It's what they deserve!

Deface and tear down them ALL!

• Like 1

Spanish Eyes
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Talent won

5Mcsho2VqcHnHLZ-D-z6Cr6LfvoZu-WVw-KFV3K8

Edit: OK joking aside, these shouldn't have been destroyed but preserved somewhere like a museum of inside display.  This is like erasing history.

Statues are not educational; they are commemorative. If you want to learn history, try Google. Until then, destroy them all. 

Edited by Spanish Eyes
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 3
  • Thanks 3

Yuuri
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Talent won

5Mcsho2VqcHnHLZ-D-z6Cr6LfvoZu-WVw-KFV3K8

Edit: OK joking aside, these shouldn't have been destroyed but preserved somewhere like a museum or inside display.  This is like erasing history.

History is writen by the victors, much like the first civil war the racists had to restart. 

ALSO on a more uplifting news Others states, like Maryland, recently unveiled new statues of black civil rights icons, such as Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass in government buildings, earlier this year.

Edited by Yuuri
  • Thanks 1

Spyro
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spanish Eyes said:

Statues are not educational. If you want to learn history, try Google. Until then, destroy them all. 

Then let's set fire to every holocaust museum or destroy every historical artifact that's not PC today. :awkney: 

Look, I'm vocal about taking down the statues but outright destroying them and forgetting they ever existed could be dangerous.  Tho, I understand the impulse the protesters/rioters had.

edit: ignore this post.  I don't stand by it.  See my response on the next page.

Edited by Spyro
Spyro the Dragon
  • LMAO 1

Concertaholic
5 minutes ago, Spyro said:

OK joking aside, these shouldn't have been destroyed but preserved somewhere like a museum or inside display.  This is like erasing history.

They do not need to be preserved, you can read about the history in a book. These statues were literally crafted and put up around cities in the late 1800s and early 1900s to intimidate African American residents. They are disgusting and should be burned and destroyed.

• Like 3

alsemanche

Cheers to that:vegas:

Yuuri
1 minute ago, Spyro said:

Then let's set fire to every holocaust museum or destroy every historical artifact that's not PC today. :awkney: 

Look, I'm vocal about taking down the statues but outright destroying them and forgetting they ever existed could be dangerous.  Tho, I understand the impulse the protesters/rioters had.

I feel like they are two totally different things. The Holocuast happend during its time period, meanwhile these statues where built during the 50s and 60s

• Like 3

Lionel Hutz
4 minutes ago, Yuuri said:

History is writen by the victors

This is a very poor thing to say in this situation since it creates a false reason to doubt the legitimacy of the North's fight and ideals.

Oh, sure, like lawyers work in big skyscrapers and have secretaries. Look at him! He's wearing a belt. That's Hollywood for you.

Spyro
Just now, Yuuri said:

I feel like they are two totally different things. The Holocuast happend during its time period, meanwhile these statues where built during the 50s and 60s

The holocaust and the 50s was only 5 years apart :duck: 

Spyro the Dragon

Concertaholic
3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

They are not historical! They were literally created to spread propaganda and fear. When was the last time you saw a statue of a Nazi in a Holocaust museum?

• Like 2

Lionel Hutz
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Spyro said:

We are not forgetting they existed. History isn't ever attached to material items. The Civil War will be a FACT whether it has evidence currently in existence or not. You cannot compare statues with the Holocaust. I'm sure you won't find any statues of Hitler or Stalin. And PC has nothing to do with this.

Edited by Lionel Hutz
Oh, sure, like lawyers work in big skyscrapers and have secretaries. Look at him! He's wearing a belt. That's Hollywood for you.

Yuuri
1 minute ago, Spyro said:

The holocaust and the 50s was only 5 years apart :duck: 

The American Civil War happened during 1861-1865. Many of the Confederate statues were built 100 years later

• Like 2