opinion

Gaga Has Lost Her Lyrical Fire

jprince99x

Featured Posts

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ziggy

Her lyrics this album are just more pop is all. It’s pretty evident by the fact that she said she passed the songs around a lot. So they do what pop does and that’s make a mood rather than singer songwriter or folk type lyrics which tell a narrative through their words with music to guide interpretation of said lyrics. I think the longer she spends on the industry, this is her trend I see. Look at Gypsy demo vs final. The demo had some pretty specific lyricism to it that is very Gaga but not very pop or relatable. Final version still tells a story but now that story is way less specific and the intent of the song is to carry the mood of the story rather than specific details of it like she was originally doing. This trend has only increased in her music over time. MR and PI are both hyper general and not all that specific in their lyricism. They’re breakup songs at their core that don’t speak to much with Gaga’s experience except for the *mood*. This, of course, also needs to account for *how* she sings which is big and theatrical and filled with emotion so she doesn’t always have to have tight lyricism to get her point across.

HookerDotGov

I don't get why you don't use a Gaga song for comparison if she has "lost her lyrical flair". Post an example of the lyricism you miss, not of Joanna Newsom (how random...). 

In the end, if anything, Chromatica proves she still holds onto some of her clever early lyricism. Every Gaga album always has had lyrics that may not be as high brow as others (LoveGame, Unicorn Love, Donatella, Plastic Doll). In Chromatica I see she still maintains her talent in writing pop songs with ear worm hooks and smart lyrics. Not every song though has to be high brow.

*shrugs* 

Thats stupid Luv

She won an Oscar for lyrics literally a year ago.... she’s just having fun let the girl sing about poppin 911s or whatever 

Galactic Mess

I disagree.

I think this album makes more sense lyrically. Especially with ARTPOP I had to watch interviews and read discussions here on GGD to get the meaning of some songs (not because of the english language), but Chromatica is pretty straight forward, without being silly. I prefer that. It feels more authentic, less forced. I agree that Born This Way might be lyrically superior, although I'd have to listen to both albums attentively again to confirm that.

As for the rest of the post, I don't believe one can compare songwriting in pop with other musical genres. Genres like metal, indie and folk are allowed to use more complex vocabulary and elaborate metaphors (i.e. all historical references in Iron Maiden's songs),  because they don't really need to worry about appeasing the masses - on the contrary. Classical music, as far as I know, often doesn't have sung lyrics, with the exception of cantatas (Bach's are a great example). When other kinds of composition do have lyrics, they are usually meant to be read in the score, not heard (see  Vivaldi's The Four Seasons). And I have the impression that older music (I presume you mean Elvis, Sinatra and others alike) has a different lyrical quality partly due to the difference in the vocabulary used by musicians now and then. The musical world has expanded from being a gentlemen's club to being accessible mostly to educated classes to being completely open now. The fact that anyone can make music nowadays, although very democratic, has also contributed to the vulgarization of it, which can explain the loss of average lyrical quality, although there still are many exceptions.

Anyway, the current context is that especially pop music is a market, whether we like it or not, and therefore it needs to achieve a compromise between selling and keeping its soul. I think Chromatica does that very well, and the vocal melodies in it are simply amazing.

nathantj594
6 minutes ago, Da J said:

I disagree.

I think this album makes more sense lyrically. Especially with ARTPOP I had to watch interviews and read discussions here on GGD to get the meaning of some songs (not because of the english language), but Chromatica is pretty straight forward, without being silly. I prefer that. It feels more authentic, less forced. I agree that Born This Way might be lyrically superior, although I'd have to listen to both albums attentively again to confirm that.

As for the rest of the post, I don't believe one can compare songwriting in pop with other musical genres. Genres like metal, indie and folk are allowed to use more complex vocabulary and elaborate metaphors (i.e. all historical references in Iron Maiden's songs),  because they don't really need to worry about appeasing the masses - on the contrary. Classical music, as far as I know, often doesn't have sung lyrics, with the exception of cantatas (Bach's are a great example). When other kinds of composition do have lyrics, they are usually meant to be read in the score, not heard (see  Vivaldi's The Four Seasons). And I have the impression that older music (I presume you mean Elvis, Sinatra and others alike) has a different lyrical quality partly due to the difference in the vocabulary used by musicians now and then. The musical world has expanded from being a gentlemen's club to being accessible mostly to educated classes to being completely open now. The fact that anyone can make music nowadays, although very democratic, has also contributed to the vulgarization of it, which can explain the loss of average lyrical quality, although there still are many exceptions.

Anyway, the current context is that especially pop music is a market, whether we like it or not, and therefore it needs to achieve a compromise between selling and keeping its soul. I think Chromatica does that very well, and the vocal melodies in it are simply amazing.

Oh sis. There are hundreds of classical works with amazing lyrics!! There’s cantatas and choral preludes and operas and masses and oratorios and beautiful gorgeous art songs. (I would go back in history and marry Schubert). I sang the most beautiful art songs when I was getting my Bachelor’s in music. 

Here’s 5 of my faves 

and this isn’t an art song, it’s from an opera but it’s so good and so fun to sing, so get into this one too :) 

And Paula Abdul ain’t got [BLEEP] on me!

Sneaky Oliver

Sorry but this thread is stupid, love. I completely loathe when someone, especially a fan, feels like they can point out how someone’s artistry has decreased or something. It’s annoyingly and slightly disrespectful tbh.

Music genres have different lyrical content and tempo. The way lyrics are written feels different for each genre. Just like Joannes lyrics were very distinct from ARTPOPs, Chromatica has a new approach. It has to fit the rhythm which’s faster than ever now compared to her past pop tracks so that’s why the lyrics were written like that

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Galactic Mess
1 minute ago, nathantj594 said:

Oh sis. There are hundreds of classical works with amazing lyrics!! There’s cantatas and choral preludes and operas and masses and oratorios and beautiful gorgeous art songs. (I would go back in history and marry Schubert). I sang the most beautiful art songs when I was getting my Bachelor’s in music. 

Here’s 5 of my faves 

and this isn’t an art song, it’s from an opera but it’s so good and so fun to sing, so get into this one too :) 

I made a reservation specifically for cantatas and said "often" exactly because I wasn't really sure haha. Mass in B minor is great, I should've remembered it. John's and Matthew's Passions are awesome as well. To be honest, I'm not really versed in music, so I didn't know opera counted as classical music. I thought it was treated as a separated genre, like musicals today. Sorry for that :flop:

Anyway, thank your for the recommendations! Didn't know "Du bist die Ruh", "A Portrait" or "Ombra mai fu". I'll give them a listen! :excited2:

nathantj594
2 minutes ago, Da J said:

I made a reservation specifically for cantatas and said "often" exactly because I wasn't really sure haha. Mass in B minor is great, I should've remembered it. John's and Matthew's Passions are awesome as well. To be honest, I'm not really versed in music, so I didn't know opera counted as classical music. I thought it was treated as a separated genre, like musicals today. Sorry for that :flop:

Anyway, thank your for the recommendations! Didn't know "Du bist die Ruh", "A Portrait" or "Ombra mai fu". I'll give them a listen! :excited2:

Anything written by Schumann or Schubert is godly. They are masters. 

I think the greatest thing I ever got to do was sing a solo at Carnegie Hall with a choral group and we did Beethoven’s Ninth in the same concert. Magic. 

And Paula Abdul ain’t got [BLEEP] on me!

Gagged

This is her first album where i think she kind of tried the lyrics to be simpler for the GP to understand and somehow be easier to remember instead of going all out with fancy smart wording that only the fans would care to decipher.

Turning up emotional faders
Keep repeating self-hating phrases
I have heard enough of these voices
Almost like I have no choice
This is biological stasis
My mood shifting to manic places
Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships

––––

I need you to listen to me, please believe me
I'm completely lonely, please don't judge me
When your tears are falling, I'll catch them as they fall
I need you to listen to me, please don't leave me
I'm not perfect yet, but I'll keep trying
When your tears are falling, I'll catch them as they fall

-----

When I was young, I prayed for lightning
My mother said it would come and find me
I found myself without a prayer
I lost my love and no one cared
When I was young, I prayed for lightning

FRANK1991

I enjoy the lyrics but I really don't like the chorus lyrics in Stupid Love and Enigma

I want your stupid love, love

I'll, I'll be your enigma

it's too repetitive for me :ohwell:

I think the problem for me is not the lyrics as much but the production where there's this insane buildup during or before the chorus and then the beat drops for a instrumental dance music but Gaga isn't singing and it's a bit of a let down lololol :huntyga:

and I know it's not just me who feels that. I've been watching a lot of reaction videos and many people's faces when the build up goes no where like :oprah:

I want a build up to an amazing chorus not a dance beat. Of course the songs are still fire to dance to but it's just missing Gaga's biggest asset: insane catchy chorus.  It's a bit of a problem for me but I would still say it is one of her strongest and most cohesive album.

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

HookerDotGov
18 minutes ago, FRANK1991 said:

I enjoy the lyrics but I really don't like the chorus lyrics in Stupid Love and Enigma

it's too repetitive for me :ohwell:

I think the problem for me is not the lyrics as much but the production where there's this insane buildup during or before the chorus and then the beat drops for a instrumental dance music but Gaga isn't singing and it's a bit of a let down lololol :huntyga:

and I know it's not just me who feels that. I've been watching a lot of reaction videos and many people's faces when the build up goes no where like :oprah:

I want a build up to an amazing chorus not a dance beat. Of course the songs are still fire to dance to but it's just missing Gaga's biggest asset: insane catchy chorus.  It's a bit of a problem for me but I would still say it is one of her strongest and most cohesive album.

Gaga has incorporated repetitive lyrics her entire career, particularly for her singles and more commercial songs. Why they're all the sudden upsetting to people is revisionist history, in my opinion--putting Gaga on some pedestal. Sure, she has a ton of smart, clever pop songs that elevated her, but she's always maintained an airy, fun pop side that doesn't need to try so hard...

Just Dance: 

Just dance, gonna be okay, da da doo-doo-mmm
Just dance, spin that record, babe, da da doo-doo-mmm
Just dance, gonna be okay, d-d-d-dance
Dance, dance, just, j-j-just dance

Alejandro: 

Alejandro
Alejandro
Ale-ale-jandro
Ale-ale-jandro

Alejandro
Alejandro
Ale-ale-jandro
Ale-ale-jandro

Judas:

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas

Judas! Judaas Judas! Judaas
Judas! Judaas Judas! GAGA

Applause: 

I live for the applause, applause, applause
I live for the applause-plause, live for the applause-plause

Perfect Illusion:

It wasn't love, it wasn't love
It was a perfect illusion (perfect illusion)
Mistaken for love, it wasn't love
It was a perfect illusion (perfect illusion)

Thomas P

She’s never been a lyrical whizz. Her lyrics are often campy and nonsensical, that’s what sets her apart from her contemporaries. 
This almost feels like a return to form for the lyrics gaga writes best (those found on The Fame-ARTPOP)

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

• Admin locked this topic

Archived