opinion

Gaga Has Lost Her Lyrical Fire

jprince99x

Featured Posts

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Enigma

I think the genre makes it harder to have those kinds of lyrics. The songs are short and there are a lot of bits with no lyrics/repeated lyrics.

There are still great complex lines in between, they’re just mostly not in the chorus (which is the most repeated part, so it takes attention away from the rest)

Okinawa
4 minutes ago, jprince99x said:

It just feels like she wrote the lyrics in 10 minutes then completely forgot about them (and that's what she's known for doing)

I was playing Chromatica for my brother. He pointed out to me that all he hears when he listens is just "I me love etc.", when I listen back to the album she emphasizes these words too much. ke some aspects of her songwriting are being reduced to fit the genre/style.

Just look at lyrics from one of the b sides on BTW, heavy metal lover:

Dirty pearls and a patch for all the Rivington Rebels

Let's raise hell in the streets, drink beer and get into trouble

Whip me, slap me, punk funk
New York clubbers, bump drunk
Bud Lite, liquors, bar slam
Move it, this is your jam

This has so much lyrical density, so much fire.

I also have the feeling that she wrote the lyrics for every song in less than 30 minutes and mostly they aren't special at all. They feel like they could have been written by an 8th grader girl in middle school.

You are also right that she repeats and mentions osme overused words too much (they are used like in every pop song). The album lacks lyrical depth. Previous albums had better lyrics.

~We are Reel Cool~

Daylight Jokers

Some of her best lyrics are in this album. Some questionable songwriting here and there (SL, Plastic Doll bridge), but it's one of her best albums lyrically. She didn't pour her heart, her pain, her traumas, and her soul into the lyrics of this album just for someone to say she lost her lyrical fire.

Sepsami

This is just nitpicking, Chromatica's lyrics are meaningful and tell a story. Also better than 90% of lyrics you hear on the radio.

HorusRa2

I mean one of the reasons people didn't like Born This Way (from the general public) had a lot to do with clunky lyrics that weren't catchy or memorable. Chromatica on the other hand is much more balanced between more intricate lyrics and memorable hooks. If Gaga is going to make pop music, she has to have catchy hooks. Not to mention that all of the songs on Chromatica are trimmed of literally any fat. 

I get that you would want more lyrical wonders like Bloody Mary but I think that in general the depth is still there on Chromatica in terms of subject matter. The difference between Born This Way and Chromatica is that on Chromatica the lyrics are much more straight forward and there are fewer opaque metaphors like there are on Born This Way. 

Dayman

Meanwhile I literally cried while dancing and singing the lyrics because consciously being aware of them they hit too hard for me emotionally. So maybe it's just that they didn't resonate with you personally.

Sepsami
Just now, LGs LM said:

Some of her best lyrics are in this album. Some questionable songwriting here and there (SL, Plastic Doll bridge), but it's one of her best albums lyrically.

I love the bridge in PD :neyde:

RudraCNG

Hmm I have to disagree. Sine From Above, Babylon, Replay... Chromatica has her best lyrics.

GerMonsterNotta

I think the relatability of the lyrics and their explicit nature is intentional on Chromatica, so we reach directly into what she's feeling in each song. 

I think she says so much in such few words in some of these songs - which in itself is beautiful. 

"Inside, we are really made the same"
"I'd rather be dry but, at least I'm alive"

etc.

IMO Chromatica is her most personal album about her own personal pain and journey. I feel this sense of rawness would've been lost in countless metaphors and really 'out-there' lyrics.............

Hyperballad
Just now, pachinko said:

You don't deserve us. 

Okay :poot: 

I have to agree tbh :air: I get that this album is personal and is written for the heart.. but at first listen I was a bit iffy of the lyrics 

Gagz

Every single day I dig a grave, and then I sit inside it wondering if I’ll behave. It’s a game I play, and I hate to say you’re the worst thing and the best thing that’s happened to me. :queenga:

HeavyPunkLover

TONIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

"Just because you know my name, doesn't mean you know my game"

• Admin locked this topic

Archived