⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
science

The lack of evidence lockdowns worked is a world scandal

Florin
Posted (edited)

An inconvenient truth for lockdown supporters. 

Btw, for the people who dont bother to read and only react to posts that they agree with:

Her opinion is backed by scientists, including Noble prize winners scientists. 

Edited by Florin
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 21
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Venusfly

Cool opinion piece by a non-scientist newspaper columnist but patently false

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 49

jobot

oh my... "the planet's reckless stay-at-home experiment" :saladga: so reckless... for this man made economy we live in 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 11

mezzanine
Posted (edited)

Well, it wasn't really an experiment, they basically needed more time to make hospitals able to absorb all the severe infections that needed ventilators, etc.

I was pro-lockdown for that, but now it doesn't make sense anymore, I think that more than half of the population have passed it already, at least in Europe, and the rest can pass it without complications; vulnerable people could now be hospitalized if needed, so there's no point on keeping everything off - and if there's really a second wave coming on, to have some sort of immunity could help us if this one is more ****ed up for our bodies - but this is just my opinion, and I know nothing about medicine, viruses, and pandemics, so it can be totally disconnected from reality.

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 10
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 2

berlinforme
Posted (edited)

Of course lockdowns don't work if people and governments refuse to be consequent about it. Had there been swift action right at the beginning of this pandemic, we would have needed only about 3-4 weeks of lockdown to press the reproduction rate down to ~0,2 and then you would simply have to track the cases and infection chains. This way we'll need new actions in two or three months again

Edited by berlinforme
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Venusfly
1 minute ago, mezzanine said:

Well, it wasn't really an experiment, they basically needed more time to make hospitals able to absorb all the severe infections that needed ventilators, etc.

I was pro-lockdown for that, but now it doesn't make sense anymore, I think that more than half of the population have passed it already, at least in Europe, and the rest can pass it without complications; vulnerable people could now be hospitalized if needed, so there's no point on keeping everything off - and if there's really a second wave coming on, to have some sort of immunity could help us if this one is more ****ed up for our bodies - but this is just my opinion, and I know nothing about medicine, viruses, and pandemics, so it can be totally disconnected from reality.

It varies by country, but in order for herd immunity to be a thing then the vast majority of the population needs to have caught it and a small minority need to have not caught it. It's not believed that any country has had it spread so far that herd immunity would take effect yet. Some level of lockdown is required until there is a vaccine because once it starts spreading rapidly again there are just as many people for it to infect as there was before lockdowns occurred. 

• Like 5

Thats stupid Luv
11 minutes ago, Florin said:

An inconvenient truth for lockdown supporters. 

We were in some of the strictest lockdown conditions in the world , acted early and we now only have 8 active cases and are back to normal. This is Bullshit Vivienne.

• Like 11
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 13

Florin
8 minutes ago, Venusfly said:

Cool opinion piece by a non-scientist newspaper columnist but patently false

So are u gonna ignore all the scientific data she talks about in her opinion. 

No surprise there.  :sharon:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Florin
3 minutes ago, Venusfly said:

It varies by country, but in order for herd immunity to be a thing then the vast majority of the population needs to have caught it and a small minority need to have not caught it. It's not believed that any country has had it spread so far that herd immunity would take effect yet. Some level of lockdown is required until there is a vaccine because once it starts spreading rapidly again there are just as many people for it to infect as there was before lockdowns occurred. 

No. Data that we have until now dont show that the lockdowns were effective.

Social distancing is another thing.

• Sad 3

Monster7
6 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

they basically needed more time to make hospitals able to absorb all the severe infections that needed ventilators, etc.

Exactly, lockdown was never meant to avoid getting corona but to avoid health care system collapse

8 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I think that more than half of the population have passed it already, at least in Europe

No, Spain for example is one of the most affected countries in the world and tests show that only 2 million people have passed it, that's around 5% of the population.

6 minutes ago, Venusfly said:

in order for herd immunity to be a thing then the vast majority of the population needs to have caught it and a small minority need to have not caught it

Exactly, and if here 30,000 people have died, and to get herd immunity according to scientiests we need 70% of the population infected, so... We'd be talking about over 400k deaths here and over 3 million in the US. A vaccine is the only solution and it's not developed yet

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Florin
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Monster7 said:

Exactly, lockdown was never meant to avoid getting corona but to avoid health care system collapse

No, Spain for example is one of the most affected countries in the world and tests show that only 2 million people have passed it, that's around 5% of the population.

Exactly, and if here 30,000 people have died, and to get herd immunity according to scientiests we need 70% of the population infected, so... We'd be talking about over 400k deaths here and over 3 million in the US. A vaccine is the only solution and it's not developed yet

No no no

The supposed medical system collapse was based on false projections. We know that now. 

Maybe there are some countries where tougher measures were necessary, but not all the planet need it the measures. 

Edited by Florin
  • LMAO 1

ThisBitch
8 minutes ago, Thats stupid Luv said:

We were in some of the strictest lockdown conditions in the world , acted early and we now only have 8 active cases and are back to normal. This is Bullshit Vivienne.

8 active KNOWN cases! We must not forget that there are more people with light infections and almost no symptoms who can transmit it

KORG

This is dangerous to share because stupid people might think other stupid people are right.

These people are insane.

• Like 7

Florin
Just now, KORG said:

This is dangerous to share because stupid people might think other stupid people are right.

These people are insane.

What stupid people? Noble prize winner stupid? :huntyga:

mezzanine
5 minutes ago, Monster7 said:

I know, I'm Spanish, but trust me guys when I say that those numbers are TOTALLY FAKE, more than half of Spain has passed it already, I've had friends at hospitals, etc. and everything was collapsed, the lockdown was ABSOLUTE, with police at the streets controlling that no one was out except for buying groceries and only at the closest supermarket - for 2 months. The infections weren't even stopped by this, they had to use an entire olympic ice complex to store the bodies of our passed away elders since hospitals were totally out of personal and equipment, and some parts of the country are still in lockdown. That study and the 2 million people/5% of population are totally b*llsh*t, I have friends that have been in urgencies and with all the symptoms and they've been sent back home without a test, and my best friend has been in South America for the last 6 months, she's been able to go back after passing it with the help of the FRENCH embassy and she requested a test to check the immunity, etc. - they've DENIED it to her and they've just sent her home to do quarantine. They are NOT testing, same in many other European countries

• Like 2
  • Shook 1