⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
society

Only 1 Beach In The World Achieves Perfect Status Every Year

Economy

https://www.noticiasdecoimbra.pt/praia-de-mira-recebe-bandeira-azul-pelo-33o-ano-consecutivo-unica-no-mundo/

Praia de mira in Portugal is the only beach in the world to receive the blue flag every year since the system was implented 33 years ago

To get the blue flag there's several criteria that all must be met including water cleanliness, sand cleanliness, air quality, safety etc

praia-mira-beach.jpg

175286585.jpg

Btw I'm proud to present this news cuz this beach is close to where I used to live and I went to it every year and been there like 1000 times. When I go visit Portugal my family and I always go there and they have some amazing beach bars there :bradley:

• Like 8
  • YAAAS 6
  • Love 3
  • Shook 3

Economy

@AlexanderMagno Portugal keeps winning :bradley:

Ur from Lisbon right? So u probably never been there... But if u ever go there's a café there that makes the most amazing croissants I've ever tasted I'm my godam life and they are cheap!!!!

They take them fresh out of the oven and they are hot and yummy and soft

My favs are the chocolate croissants but the cheese or cheese and ham ones are bomb too

But of course u can't go to a Portuguese beach without the amazing icecreams they sell all over the place there. Go to a Canadian beach and theres like half the selection and not even as good. How reductive :neyde:

dynamite

Yes beach get it, you're so clean!

Love it when you give me shade in the morning call me neyde
  • LMAO 5

Economy

I wanna tag the Portuguese members here and I know there's quite a few but @iAstroLeo and @AlexanderMagno are the only two I can ever remember their usernames :flop:

AlexanderMagno

Portugal for the win :hor:

We have amazing beaches. Some claim to be the best in the world (yes, including the popular Caribbean Islands or Bahamas). Problem is, they can get crowded during the summer (specially Algarve) and there are no private beaches (which I think is nice actually).

9 minutes ago, Economy said:

Ur from Lisbon right? So u probably never been there... But if u ever go there's a café there that makes the most amazing croissants I've ever tasted I'm my godam life and they are cheap!!!!

I have been there actually! :whitney:

Water is cold though :green: but you can only find warm water in the south.

I haven't tried the croissants though, I might go there just for that hehe once the lockdown is definitely over (we are reopening slowly), might be my escape trip.

11 minutes ago, Economy said:

But of course u can't go to a Portuguese beach without the amazing icecreams they sell all over the place there. Go to a Canadian beach and theres like half the selection and not even as good. How reductive :neyde:

I remember when we talked about different candies around the world, and how Portugal doesn't have half the variety that you have there, but I guess we win with icecreams :hor:

But actually, you can't go to a portuguese beach without bolas de Berlim. Talk about iconic (I don't even enjoy it that much, but just outside the beach of course :laughga:)

• YAAAS 1

Economy
1 minute ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Portugal for the win :hor:

We have amazing beaches. Some claim to be the best in the world (yes, including the popular Caribbean Islands or Bahamas). Problem is, they can get crowded during the summer (specially Algarve) and there are no private beaches (which I think is nice actually).

I have been there actually! :whitney:

Water is cold though :green: but you can only find warm water in the south.

I haven't tried the croissants though, I might go there just for that hehe once the lockdown is definitely over (we are reopening slowly), might be my escape trip.

I remember when we talked about different candies around the world, and how Portugal doesn't have half the variety that you have there, but I guess we win with icecreams :hor:

But actually, you can't go to a portuguese beach without bolas de Berlim. Talk about iconic (I don't even enjoy it that much, but just outside the beach of course :laughga:)

Just so u know the Cafe is a good 4-5 minutes walk from the actual beach. Dam it I wish I could remember the name of the café so I could tell u. I know what it looks like but I can't describe it :fail:

its so cool that u been there too then haha. And yeah the water is freezing. The one thing I hate about Portugal's beaches in the entire West Coast :enigma:. Ironically here in Canada it's warmer cuz the Great lakes warm up especially Lake Erie (the most shallow one) so I always go down south to beaches in Lake Erie around August or September when the water has had time to warm up nicely :D

still nothing compared to the water in Mexico, Jamaica and Dominion tho omg :giveup:

Nope in terms of icecream at the beaches u have us beat lol. We have an even greater variety available at grocery stores than you guys do...

but for some reason when it comes to the icecreams you buy when your out or at beaches, you guys have more selection and they are better too!

I think half the weight I gain when I go there is ice creams alone :bradley: the other half is the restaurants, thee desserts and my grandma force feeding me cuz she always says I don't like the food if I don't eat 4 plates. Such a typical Portuguese grandma :air:

HEARTSTOP

Portugal at it again.

It's unfortunate that here in the Algarve tourists don't care for the beaches and they end up really dirty...

With this COVID sitch, lots of people are leaving their trash (including masks and such) on the beach, and there is no one to clean it up because the beach concessions are cutting costs and haven't hired anyone for that yet. :fail:

"Human stupidity knows no bounds." - Some Old Crazy Guy, Probably
  • Like 1

Economy
2 minutes ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Portugal at it again.

It's unfortunate that here in the Algarve tourists don't care for the beaches and they end up really dirty...

With this COVID sitch, lots of people are leaving their trash (including masks and such) on the beach, and there is no one to clean it up because the beach concessions are cutting costs and haven't hired anyone for that yet. :fail:

Here in Canada the big thing right now is everyone leaving their dam gloves on the shopping carts and grocery floors

Disgusting. That's making it worse than if ppl just didn't use gloves :sick:

• Sad 1

JusKeepBreathin

It's beautiful I would love to visit to see it I love how blue the water looks. I love Flamenco Beach in Culebra PR, it is out of this world. You can see the tiny school of fish swimming around. It's never really crowded because you have to take a small plane or ferry to get there. It's located on a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico.

flamenco-beach-puerto-rico-culebra-islan

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Love 2

Economy
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

It's beautiful I would love to visit to see it I love how blue the water looks. I love Flamenco Beach in Culebra PR, it is out of this world. You can see the tiny school of fish swimming around. It's never really crowded because you have to take a small plane or ferry to get there. It's located on a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico.

flamenco-beach-puerto-rico-culebra-islan

That looks amazing!

Praia de Mira is very average tbh. The blue flag has nothing to do with how beautiful or exotic it is, it's just a matter of cleanliness and safety in a variety of categories all of which must be met

But I've definitely seen many more impressive beaches in terms of beauty and excitement both here in Canada and in Portugual as well as carebean :ladyhaha:

Edited by Economy

JusKeepBreathin
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

That looks amazing!

Praia de Mira is very average tbh. The blue flag has nothing to do with how beautiful or exotic it is, it's just a matter of cleanliness and safety in a variety of categories all of which must be met

But I've definitely seen many more impressive beaches in terms of beauty and excitement both here in Canada and in Portugual as well as carebean :ladyhaha:

We have a couple of blue flag beaches but I'm not sure this is one of them. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Love 1

AlexanderMagno
17 minutes ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Portugal at it again.

damn really :/ how is this possible, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.

I'm actually curious to see how Algarve will look like this summer. Unfortunately, by July people will probably act like nothing went wrong this year.

Although Algarve needs tourism, I was so hopeful that this year people would stay away. I end up spending more time there during low season.

25 minutes ago, Economy said:

I think half the weight I gain when I go there is ice creams alone :bradley: the other half is the restaurants, thee desserts and my grandma force feeding me cuz she always says I don't like the food if I don't eat 4 plates. Such a typical Portuguese grandma :air:

damn right, and it's not 4 regular plates, we're talking about really dense, full of everything plates :air: it's soooooo hard to tell my grandma whenever I want to control what I eat, I don't even try anymore. People who don't have a portuguese grandma simply don't understand :saladga:

• Thanks 1

Economy
5 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

We have a couple of blue flag beaches but I'm not sure this is one of them. 

Many beaches get the blue flag. The only thing that's special about the one I posted about on OP is that it's the only beach in the world to never fail to get blue certified even once in 33 years :party:

But that beach u posted a pic of is the kind of beach is love to go to especially if the water is warm :giveup:

• Like 1

Economy
4 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

damn really :/ how is this possible, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.

I'm actually curious to see how Algarve will look like this summer. Unfortunately, by July people will probably act like nothing went wrong this year.

Although Algarve needs tourism, I was so hopeful that this year people would stay away. I end up spending more time there during low season.

damn right, and it's not 4 regular plates, we're talking about really dense, full of everything plates :air: it's soooooo hard to tell my grandma whenever I want to control what I eat, I don't even try anymore. People who don't have a portuguese grandma simply don't understand :saladga:

I know right?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same with Italian and Greek grandma's it seems. There's a lot of Italians here in Canada and their grandma's are just as bad.

Guess it's a South European thing :enigma:

• Like 1

Lucas

Only 1 in the world? Jesus... but what a great achievement!
Are there any firms around that beach, that maybe have to respect some rules to make sure that air quality and water cleanliness remain at the maximum? That must be a hard thing to control

I always read so much positive things about Portugal! And portuguese people are so nice :flutter: Way to go!