💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Do you think we will start seeing Gaga being subjected to ageism?

vixdean

Featured Posts

HeavyPunkLover

She’s a female pop star. 
She’ll get hate for anything.

And she is more of a rock star than Robot-Madonna.

"Just because you know my name, doesn't mean you know my game"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hebi

I don't think so, No one says nothing about Nicki Minaj (who's older) for doing her thing

NewUsername
9 minutes ago, vixdean said:

But it's disgusting! We don't see men/male artists being a target of ageism the same way women are.

that's sexism for you, luv. Welcome to this sometimes sad world.

I think they insult her because they don't like her. She can be rude for absolutely no reason, she almost ended their fav's career, she is disrespectful herself, etc. They just call her old because it's a way to express their disdain for her.

vixdean
1 minute ago, PussPuss said:

I think Gaga is different than Madonna in this case. Gaga has already proven her genuine talent and it's pretty much universally accepted. People will have opinions on how Gaga chooses to present that talent but they know it's there. 

Madonna was thought to rely on provocative behavior and shock value and was not perceived to actually be talented, hence why "isn't she too old for this" persisted so much and started so early. 

I see what you mean, but don't think it will be that clear cut.

By 1993, Madonna had just gone through her first imperial phase, had a bunch of hits under the bag, and was breaking records left and right.

The argument of saying she didn't have talent was always used by her detractors, and still is, but a few years later in 1997 she released one of pop musics most celebrated albums ever - Ray of Light - and entered a second imperial phase, which made her untouchable as a recording artist, both for her commercial success and talent recognition. At this point, she was 39 years old, and despite having commercial success and talent recognition that didn't stop ageism.

We then can see the same thing with Confessions. She was 47 years old then, loved by everyone, recognised as the force and talent that she is, but the ageism didn't stop.

So coming back to your argument, I don't think that the claim that a female artist is talented won't stop Gaga from being a target of ageism.

Chlorine Sevigny
1 minute ago, vixdean said:

I see what you mean, but don't think it will be that clear cut.

By 1993, Madonna had just gone through her first imperial phase, had a bunch of hits under the bag, and was breaking records left and right.

The argument of saying she didn't have talent was always used by her detractors, and still is, but a few years later in 1997 she released one of pop musics most celebrated albums ever - Ray of Light - and entered a second imperial phase, which made her untouchable as a recording artist, both for her commercial success and talent recognition. At this point, she was 39 years old, and despite having commercial success and talent recognition that didn't stop ageism.

We then can see the same thing with Confessions. She was 47 years old then, loved by everyone, recognised as the force and talent that she is, but the ageism didn't stop.

So coming back to your argument, I don't think that the claim that a female artist is talented won't stop Gaga from being a target of ageism.

Yeah but commercial success ≠ talent... I don't think the GP ever thought Madonna was talented. Am I wrong? 

PlasticDollGirl

It’s sad, but society views women like this, you’d never get them ageist to men though.. 

The queen of Gagadaily. Keepin it real

vixdean
1 minute ago, ajames said:

I think they insult her because they don't like her. She can be rude for absolutely no reason, she almost ended their fav's career, she is disrespectful herself, etc. They just call her old because it's a way to express their disdain for her.

Can you please stop peddling that narrative that she "aLmOsT EnDed ThEiR FaV's CaReEr"? It's just absolutely ridiculous.

She can be a total diva, like all the stars from her era - Mariah, Whitney, etc. - but she isn't mean or rude for absolutely no reason. You don't know her personally to be able to make such a ridiculous claim.

1 minute ago, vixdean said:

Can you please stop peddling that narrative that she "aLmOsT EnDed ThEiR FaV's CaReEr"? It's just absolutely ridiculous.

She can be a total diva, like all the stars from her era - Mariah, Whitney, etc. - but she isn't mean or rude for absolutely no reason. You don't know her personally to be able to make such a ridiculous claim.

Sorry.

vixdean
1 minute ago, PussPuss said:

Yeah but commercial success ≠ talent... I don't think the GP ever thought Madonna was talented. Am I wrong? 

I think you are.

If they didn't think she was talented, why would they go to her shows? How would she became the best selling female artist of all time? How would she have the number of hits she has and made the cultural impact in pop culture she has made?

That argument of talent is just demeaning as a way of bringing her down, like the ageist remarks. Talent is not only defined by vocals and belting. More than anything she is an artist.

vixdean
16 minutes ago, HeavyPunkLover said:

She’s a female pop star. 
She’ll get hate for anything.

And she is more of a rock star than Robot-Madonna.

Is that meant to be a drag?

Sepsami

In time she will, maybe even this era if she acts sexual our provocative in a way that is considered "too much" for someone that isn't 21 :wtf:

On that note, Alexa play Act My Age by Katy Perry :poot:

raragaga

i've already seen it in regards to her being "an old pop star riding the coattails of the young" (i.e. ariana)

xoxo

Chlorine Sevigny
8 minutes ago, vixdean said:

I think you are.

If they didn't think she was talented, why would they go to her shows? How would she became the best selling female artist of all time? How would she have the number of hits she has and made the cultural impact in pop culture she has made?

That argument of talent is just demeaning as a way of bringing her down, like the ageist remarks. Talent is not only defined by vocals and belting. More than anything she is an artist.

By talent I mean vocal ability/musicianship. She is talented in other areas. 

vixdean
2 minutes ago, raragaga said:

i've already seen it in regards to her being "an old pop star riding the coattails of the young" (i.e. ariana)

That kind of discourse is just meant to diminish her. It's infuriating.

When, for example, FourFiveSeconds came out with Paul McCartney, Kanye West, Rihana, was there anyone claiming that McCartney  was "riding the coattails of the young" to get a hit? Absolutely not, because he is male. If a woman does it, well, she is desperate for a hit. :noparty:

Archived