Watch the official commercial for Voce Viva

Sign in to follow this  
science

Study: Infectivity of some asymptomatic COVID-19 carriers might be weak

Maleficent

there was always doubt from the begging of how infective asymptomatic carriers are.

i think the most logical reason is that asymptomatic people are not coughing and sneezing all over the place--bc they have no symptoms. and since the virus is transmitted thru droplets, the chance of them spreading droplets is much much much lower. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Maleficent

however, there is still some silliness going on in the US; such as a symptomatic hairdresser showing up to work and infecting 90 ppl. if you have even the slightest cold, pls stay home and don't ruin things for the rest of us 

• Like 10
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

tigerteeth

They do shed droplet by speaking and breathing though..

nevertheless don’t forget that this paper is talking about ONE person and all they do is observe

• Like 2

Dramatica

Man, first we suspected kids to carry the disease, apparently not that much, after that we suspected asymptomatic people, not them either. Who the tuck is carrying this crap around??

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.

Maleficent
Just now, Dramatica said:

Man, first we suspected kids to carry the disease, apparently not that much, after that we suspected asymptomatic people, not them either. Who the tuck is carrying this crap around??

ppl who are actually coughing and sneezing and still going out into public unfortunately...

• Sad 1

KORG
Just now, tigerteeth said:

They do shed droplet by speaking and breathing though..

nevertheless don’t forget that this paper is talking about ONE person and all they do is observe

I refuse to be near ANYBODY that speaks or breathes. Been that way 32 years. It's not the virus, I just find people who speak or breathe to be a drain.

• Like 1
  • LMAO 7
  • YAAAS 2

Maleficent
2 minutes ago, KORG said:

I refuse to be near ANYBODY that speaks or breathes. Been that way 32 years. It's not the virus, I just find people who speak or breathe to be a drain.

i'm really not sure if this is sarcasm/trolling or not? 

SUBURBIA

yeah, it’s just the fact that they’re asymptomatic and thus not coughing sneezing etc. i don’t think (or know, i’m assuming so feel free to correct me) on a physiological/chemical level, their infectivity is any less severe than a symptomatic patient, but rather that since it’s spread by droplets, the risk of an asymptomatic carrier (not coughing sneezing etc) transmitting it to another person is super low. unless you like, make out with them 

• Like 1

Florin
2 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

there was always doubt from the begging of how infective asymptomatic carriers are.

i think the most logical reason is that asymptomatic people are not coughing and sneezing all over the place--bc they have no symptoms. and since the virus is transmitted thru droplets, the chance of them spreading droplets is much much much lower. 

There was doubt, but the media promoted things like: the virus can survive hours in the air, the droplets can travel x distance even when talking. 

It is really sad there was so little science behind all the political decisions taken these past 3 months. 

• Like 1

Maleficent
1 minute ago, SUBURBIA said:

yeah, it’s just the fact that they’re asymptomatic and thus not coughing sneezing etc. i don’t think (or know, i’m assuming so feel free to correct me) on a physiological/chemical level, their infectivity is any less severe than a symptomatic patient, but rather that since it’s spread by droplets, the risk of an asymptomatic carrier (not coughing sneezing etc) transmitting it to another person is super low. unless you like, make out with them 

i briefly read the study and it shows that the 7/455 who DID potentially become infected showed almost no symptoms, even though they were in the "at risk group" bc of heart-disease 

Spoiler

"seven patients plus one family member appeared new respiratory symptoms, where fever was the most common one. The blood counts in most contacts were within a normal range. All CT images showed no sign of COVID-19 infection."

Maleficent

this report has been poorly translated I think. its not easy to read as there are a lot of grammatical mistakes. 

Vergil

Could this also mean that the virus has mutated and tests cannot detect it anymore?

ice bear
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Vergil said:

Could this also mean that the virus has mutated and tests cannot detect it anymore?

nope, mutate means it adapts, not changes into another type of virus 

(and most of the time mutating is bad for it, not for us)

Edited by ice bear
ice bear = best bear
  • Like 2

Florin
4 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

i briefly read the study and it shows that the 7/455 who DID potentially become infected showed almost no symptoms, even though they were in the "at risk group" bc of heart-disease 

Reveal hidden contents

"seven patients plus one family member appeared new respiratory symptoms, where fever was the most common one. The blood counts in most contacts were within a normal range. All CT images showed no sign of COVID-19 infection."

All were negative. The regular flu is still around.  I feel sorry for people with allergies. 

• Thanks 1