Jump to content
The Evolution of Gaga
society

Portugal hits new Low for Covid 19


Akiki

Featured Posts

Akiki
1 minute ago, Economy said:

Genuine question tho. They talk about flattening the curve but... Are they even allowing the curve to start?

 

Because unless the percentage of confirmed cases is a very small fraction of the people who actually get it, even if the true number of cases is 5X what they confirm... We're still looking at an extremely small percentage of the population getting infected

 

How do u even flatten the curve if u start lockdowns everytime there's 200 cases?

 

At this rate in a year only like 10% of the population would have gotten it... To me it doesn't sound like flattening a curve it sounds like not letting it start at all and trying to keep the cases near 0 until a vaccine comes out

 

In which case we're gonna have to keep going under lockdowns cuz even 1 infected person in no time starts another wave the moment lockdowns end :rip:

 

Flatten the curve means more time. The main goal is to keep the SNS working. It seems weird but by stretching it we are buying time. 

Also, even if the Covid reaches It's peak it will fall down but raise again sometime after. 

You will have two peaks and suddenly a bunch of dead people. Look at italy. 800 people die everyday. They cant keep up with the peak. By flattening the curve we'll keep things operating smoothly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy
1 minute ago, Akiki said:

Flatten the curve means more time. The main goal is to keep the SNS working. It seems weird but by stretching it we are buying time. 

Also, even if the Covid reaches It's peak it will fall down but raise again sometime after. 

You will have two peaks and suddenly a bunch of dead people. Look at italy. 800 people die everyday. They cant keep up with the peak. By flattening the curve we'll keep things operating smoothly. 

 

I get it buys time but I just think calling it flattening the curve is not accurate based on what we're doing

 

they explain flattening the curve as stretching out the infections over a long period of time to not overwhelm the medical system

 

but I'm saying this sounds more like trying to prevent cases in general not flattening the curve because the number of cases we will have in a year's time at this rate will still not be EVEN CLOSE for herd immunity

 

So this sounds more like minimizing cases than it does flattening the curve. We will be constantly dependent on lockdowns until vaccine comes out and the idea that in a few months life could start coming to normal seems false then

 

i also don't know how Governments will sustain us with a shutdown for a year :duck:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Akiki
21 minutes ago, Economy said:

 

I get it buys time but I just think calling it flattening the curve is not accurate based on what we're doing

 

they explain flattening the curve as stretching out the infections over a long period of time to not overwhelm the medical system

 

but I'm saying this sounds more like trying to prevent cases in general not flattening the curve because the number of cases we will have in a year's time at this rate will still not be EVEN CLOSE for herd immunity

 

So this sounds more like minimizing cases than it does flattening the curve. We will be constantly dependent on lockdowns until vaccine comes out and the idea that in a few months life could start coming to normal seems false then

 

i also don't know how Governments will sustain us with a shutdown for a year :duck:

 

No one knows. 

Maybe it will vanish with summer time and comeback in the winter. Who knows. 

But yes, flattening the curve is not a great way of putting it. 

Im not sure about immunity either tbh. At least in Portugal That's not the goal at all. Herd immunity It's a very risky thing to do and it will have a very big cost and it can backfire in a very bad way. For what I understand the virus will mutate the more it spreads and it can go two ways: it gets better or worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Akiki
1 hour ago, omen said:

Is Potugal poor? I thought it was a fancy destination for  a listers. Madonna was living in there right?

It's not poor. It's a very stable country imo. 

But most people like to pretend like we are this very grey and dark country even if we have sunny days 90% of the year and ofc, Madonna, Fassbender, Alicia Viander, Monica Belluci etc...

 

Oh and the late icon Gloria Swanson

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Economy
2 minutes ago, Akiki said:

No one knows. 

Maybe it will vanish with summer time and comeback in the winter. Who knows. 

But yes, flattening the curve is not a great way of putting it. 

Im not sure about immunity either tbh. At least in Portugal That's not the goal at all. Herd immunity It's a very risky thing to do and it will have a very big cost and it can backfire in a very bad way. For what I understand the virus will mutate the more it spreads and it can go two ways: it gets better or worse. 

It's fine if the goal is to just prevent spread as much as possible I just find the concept of flattening the curve a bit misleading that's all

 

Flattening the curve would still require enough infections over time to get heard immunity or at the very least if ur expecting most to get infected eventually

 

This would simply happen over a LONGER period of the time stretched out that's the idea of flattening the curve

 

But the amount infected is too small to make any difference on the curve it seems. The majority either won't get infected at this rate or if we stopped lockdowns we'd probably get a spike. Neither are really flattening the curve like media is saying

 

Unless the true infections are actually A LOT higher than the amount we confirm.... Like X10 higher type of thing but I doubt it's higher by that much.

 

As for summer i read theories as to why it may not help as much as some other flus

 

This virus doesn't seem to like heat and it may help in the sense that it won't survive in surfaces for as long... But because it's new and few have immunity, in terms of direct contact infections they will still happen regardless of temperatures

 

A contagion that 1/3 or 1/2 of people are immune to for example get fewer opportunities to spread from direct contact and rely on infecting a lot of people over days who touch an infected surface and infect themselves. Since viruses survive long in winter usually, this means more ppl get infected this way

 

But with almost no immunity in the population, direct infections from person to person will happen a lot even with surfaces infecting less ppl

 

I mean experts opinions vary. But this is the reasoning of experts who are skeptical the summer will have a SIGNIFICANT reduction in rate of spread

Link to post
Share on other sites

uo111
38 minutes ago, Economy said:

Genuine question tho. They talk about flattening the curve but... Are they even allowing the curve to start?

We don’t have enough information yet but considering the high number of asymptomatic cases, the up to two week long incubation period, and the low number of testing being performed, it’s possible that a large portion of the global population has been infected already.

The best available evidence suggests that we have allowed the curve to start (in fact we probably waited too long). With more antibody testing being done, we will know more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Economy
4 minutes ago, Akiki said:

It's not poor. It's a very stable country imo. 

But most people like to pretend like we are this very grey and dark country even if we have sunny days 90% of the year and ofc, Madonna, Fassbender, Alicia Viander, Monica Belluci etc...

 

Oh and the late icon Gloria Swanson

 

What part of Portugal do u live in?

 

Shesh when I lived there November to March was constant gloom and rain almost every day. That's like 40% of the year. :rip:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Economy
Just now, uo111 said:

We don’t have enough information yet but considering the high number of asymptomatic cases, the up to two week long incubation period, and the low number of testing being performed, it’s possible that a large portion of the global population has been infected already.

The best available evidence suggests that we have allowed the curve to start (in fact we probably waited too long). With more antibody testing being done, we will know more.

Yeah I can see this being the case if the true rate of infection is a lot higher than the confirmed cases

 

But depends how much higher exactly

 

If it's 3X or 4X higher than comfirmed for example that's still a small fraction

Link to post
Share on other sites

Akiki
7 minutes ago, Economy said:

What part of Portugal do u live in?

 

Shesh when I lived there November to March was constant gloom and rain almost every day. That's like 40% of the year. :rip:

Really? I live close to Lisbon. It doesnt rain that much now. Last year rained for a month. That's it. Now it rains sometimes. But it's mostly sunny. 

 

The average is 300 days of Sunshine. 

For comparison That's more than L.A. with 285

Link to post
Share on other sites

vyniildisk
15 minutes ago, Akiki said:

It's not poor. It's a very stable country imo. 

But most people like to pretend like we are this very grey and dark country even if we have sunny days 90% of the year and ofc, Madonna, Fassbender, Alicia Viander, Monica Belluci etc...

 

Oh and the late icon Gloria Swanson

 

I saw pictures and it's STUNNAH 

I would love to live there for a few months and just being a exotic icon, eating, drinking, flirting and overall living my best life

Link to post
Share on other sites

Economy
6 minutes ago, Akiki said:

Really? I live close to Lisbon. It doesnt rain that much now. Last year rained for a month. That's it. Now it rains sometimes. But it's mostly sunny. 

 

The average is 300 days of Sunshine. 

For comparison That's more than L.A. with 285

I know the further south u go the drier winters tend to be

 

I was further up North between Coimbra and Aveiro area...

 

Either the climate changed a lot or by pure chance as a kid when I was there I happened to get all the rainny years but it was raining constantly from late fall to early spring :air:

 

I know it's not my memory being off cuz I was young cuz my mom also remembers hating the constant rain and gloom in winter :emma:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Akiki
8 minutes ago, Economy said:

I know the further south u go the drier winters tend to be

 

I was further up North between Coimbra and Aveiro area...

 

Either the climate changed a lot or by pure chance as a kid when I was there I happened to get all the rainny years but it was raining constantly from late fall to early spring :air:

 

I know it's not my memory being off cuz I was young cuz my mom also remembers hating the constant rain and gloom in winter :emma:

In the 90's things were more even. I remember the long winters. The storms.

Also me talking with my nephews nowadays...

Animated GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites

michael angelo
19 minutes ago, Akiki said:

Really? I live close to Lisbon. It doesnt rain that much now. Last year rained for a month. That's it. Now it rains sometimes. But it's mostly sunny. 

 

The average is 300 days of Sunshine. 

For comparison That's more than L.A. with 285

well, it's raining right now :enigma:

we could belong together
Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...