Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Stupid Love Looks Cheap?

Quark

Featured Posts

TWICE on hatius
16 minutes ago, andy232000 said:

I will never understand why you guys always use the "its an artistic choice" excuse all the time. It makes no sense as an artist to limit yourself technically during production for the sake of "artistic choices" when you can achieve that through editing. Besides, technical proficiency will never make the outcome look worse, whereas completely ignoring it for the sake of your concept will. Sometimes you have to accept that your "artistic choice" may or may not translate well into the actual medium and that you should be open to bending said choices to get a better result. Just my two cents on the constant "it was mean to look cheap" or any of its variants for any artist. 

That’s why music is subjective in general. Once, you understand the concept, everything makes more sense even the mistakes like 3D rendors at the beginning. It was a good mv to me since it doesn’t have a heavy plot and entire concept was Jpop campy. I did agree the direction was messy. If Gaga did marvel mv like Taylor did with her rep era I would complain. But the mv was never meant to be perfect in anyway

Please ignore the spelling in username. I am a Beyonce stan afterall.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TWICE on hatius
58 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Hmm. I'm on the fence about this. Like, sure, of course it's her intention for it to look a little off and cheesy and campy. But you can do that effect successfully and professionally and you can do it unconvincingly too :emma: I feel like that distinction is lost on many fans here.

Like, yeah, I'm sure everyone gets that this is supposed to be a love letter to retro-camp. But that doesn't mean she did it well. Know what I mean? I don't even understand why I have to explain this.

Like, remember when we all hated on this video for good reason? (it's very similar to what Gaga tried to do)

If we believe most LMs here today we'd have to convince ourselves this video was a genius piece of retro camp. But it's not. It's awkward and not very well executed. Just like SL is awkward and not very well executed :billie:

I feel like LMs are applying a double standard again. If another pop star released the exact same video I feel like a lot more people would be saying what I'm saying: that, yes, whoever made it tried to be retro-camp but that we didn't get a good end result.

The fact this is one of the few Ariana MVs, I personally enjoy along with one last time. I just love something meant to be fun and light lol.

Didymus
41 minutes ago, OooooooO said:

Because SL was never deep, it is a mindless dance track. Sometimes things need to be light, again have you ever seen 2000s Jpop mvs. They barely make any sense so people can have fun with it. People hate her AF during ARTPOP and BTW because how “deep” or simply pretentious the music and videos are. Anyway, i can see that you don’t like the theme itself and it’s understandable since Japan pop culture is risky for a western artist like Gaga to take on

You’re wrong. The song is not mindless wtf. The verses are very profound and obviously have a very personal meaning to Gaga.

Not a fan at all of people tearing down her work so they can lower their own standard. Like, that’s super insulting and unfair :rip: 

TWICE on hatius
1 minute ago, Didymus said:

You’re wrong. The song is not mindless wtf. The verses are very profound and obviously have a very personal meaning to Gaga.

Not a fan at all of people tearing down her work so they can lower their own standard. Like, that’s super insulting and unfair :rip: 

Girl, SL is mindless dance track can she make it any obvious by repeating freak out more than 6 times. And there’s nothing wrong with a mindless dance track. Some of our classics like BOMT, Toxic and half the discography of Kylie are all mindless dance tracks. But I ate all of them up.

Kahzandra

Indeed its too obvious the video was intended  to look campy and a little tacky and cheap in fresh way.  I think she and the director definitely drew inspiration from 90s era Power Rangers  aesthetics.

And did anyone else also pick up on the influence from those forgotten late 90s Eurodance videos (which are so iconic and beautifully retro now)

1 hour ago, Didymus said:

Hmm. I'm on the fence about this. Like, sure, of course it's her intention for it to look a little off and cheesy and campy. But you can do that effect successfully and professionally and you can do it unconvincingly too :emma: I feel like that distinction is lost on many fans here.

Like, yeah, I'm sure everyone gets that this is supposed to be a love letter to retro-camp. But that doesn't mean she did it well. Know what I mean? I don't even understand why I have to explain this.

Like, remember when we all hated on this video for good reason? (it's very similar to what Gaga tried to do)

If we believe most LMs here today we'd have to convince ourselves this video was a genius piece of retro camp. But it's not. It's awkward and not very well executed. Just like SL is awkward and not very well executed :billie:

I feel like LMs are applying a double standard again. If another pop star released the exact same video I feel like a lot more people would be saying what I'm saying: that, yes, whoever made it tried to be retro-camp but that we didn't get a good end result.

There is no excuse for hating on something 

Infinity Wave
1 hour ago, Didymus said:

I feel like LMs are applying a double standard again.

Could you let people enjoy it and say the like it?

All day long you've trying to convince people they can't like the video and that people who say they do are hypocritical or fake.

We just like the video. Get over it!

Colourful

Didymus
18 minutes ago, OMonster said:

I totally disagree with you, with all respect of course.

The Ariana video is, imo, a little try-hard and awkward because she's TRYING to match 'sexy pop star' with campy themes. She herself isn't carrying herself in a camp or bold way - she's just another pop star dropped into a poorly executed concept. 

In SL, Gaga EMBODIES camp and fun and energy and craziness. 

She is filled with so much love for the music in this video. She just seems to be living for the concept and the creative direction to me.

And Gaga's video has a genuine message behind it about unity and overcoming division, which I think she sells really well. 

You don't have to explain the principle you outline. You're right, we all know that this video is supposed to be retro-camp. I'm sorry you think it doesn't deliver to that brief - but I can't see how you can say it doesn't. 

It's light, it's fun, it's a bit of a throwback. 

TECHNICALLY it isn't STELLAR (because of technological limitations, and because the brief didn't demand 'glossiness' or perfection) - but creatively and conceptually... what's wrong? 

You can dislike the concept, but what's wrong with it? She's delivered exactly what she wanted to deliver. 

Gaga isn't Taylor Swift or Katy Perry or Rihanna - she doesn't serve perfection. She sends a message of emotion - not a message of 'this video was expensive and edited and filmed perfectly'. That's never been the Gaga message - ever.

And regards the song... I'm shocked some of her fans don't enjoy it. The lyrics are brilliant in places, and her vocals in the song are stunning to me. The 'gotta have faith in me', the 'even if I break in two', the 'look at me now', the 'all I ever wanted was love' - her voice sounds so full and into it. 

You're entitled to your opinion, of course you are. But I think your opinion is based on what you think Gaga's vision should've been - not what it is. The video doesn't deliver on what you wanted, but it does deliver on what she wanted - it achieves the intention. And by that measure, it's a success.

Then there's no point in commenting about anything anymore, I guess. Not a world I think is interesting to live in :emma: Her intention is one thing, the product is another. Since we're the consumers of that product I don't think there's anything wrong with commenting on what we think of the product, regardless of Gaga's "vision". I think the storyline she presents in this video is messy and unimpactful and I think that's a relevant comment because it has something to do with the emotional message she wanted to send, and I don't think it came across.

Dr Fudge

People need to understand that there’s a difference between minimalistic and cheap. Obviously she decided to go with simple in the sense of one location and few props. But that doesn’t depreciate how much work went into learning all of that crazy choreo and the time it took to make those costumes (so many different types). Personally, I think when you have all the money in the world to create a vid and you choose to do what she did, it’s not only ballsier, but it highlights how you’re a real artist that doesn’t just rely on your money to buy art- you make it. 

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

1 hour ago, Candy Gaga said:

Who are those that think it's cheap cause I'm ready to fight. Fab outfits , choreo and tons of dancers no cheap vibes here

And lets not forget the awsome claw gaga is wearing

Rudz Xinc

I think the camera work and the constant changing sky back and forth make it looks amateurish, the lighting kinda bad in some parts.

One second it looks like a real set, and the next look kinda bad CGI.

I do like the music video, but it could be better.

Look at those clowns

finally i have time to watch this video, alone, with all the time in world and the many times i want... And come on  people, at least just admit that it's freaking fun :excited:, i'm enjoying the song even more, idk how to explain it better... i want a freaking weird silly costume and go dance with them lol... i really doubt that you guys don't give a little smile while watching it and say i want your stupid love, (even the ones that dislike the song and video)... it's so freaking FUN . Sorry if i'm being annoying and repeating myself. 

Didymus
1 minute ago, Infinity Wave said:

Could you let people enjoy it and say the like it?

Am I going around quoting people to tell them they're wrong for liking it? No. This is a forum lol :rip: People shouldn't let their own enjoyment be affected by me posting my opinion :air: Jesus. I'm happy people are enjoying it but I don't see how that should forbid me from saying what I want to say. If you can't handle it, block me.

2 minutes ago, Infinity Wave said:

All day long you've trying to convince people they can't like the video and that people who say they do are hypocritical or fake.

I never said people couldn't like it. I just think some of the arguments in favor of it ("it's supposed to be bad"; "it's camp, you don't get it" etc.) aren't logical and aren't in themselves reason to like the video.

In fact, I myself have posted quite a few times today that I really like the energy and vibes of the song and video but that I just think there's some major flaws :ladyhaha: I'm not your basic hater, dear. Just a critical fan. There's a difference. Now stop whining and enjoy the mv :hug:

• Admin changed the title to Stupid Love Looks Cheap?

Archived