Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
question

Synthwave vs Synthpop

NFRatwell

Featured Posts

NFRatwell

This is more of a question about my understanding than a flat out what is the difference (since Gaga’s next single is Synthwave-pop?) Ok if y’all aren’t interested about labels that’s ok, but if y’all are! So it’s to my understanding that Synthwave and synthpop are different genres, Synthpop being from the 70s and forever evolving, while Synthwave is more of a stylist genre that’s tied to specifically an 80s subculture. Generally, Synthpop is more diverse and can easily be “dark” and “light” sounding. An example is this: Monster obviously has a darker synth to it, while Born This Way can be heard as lighter. Synthwave on the other hand is usually dark. 
For example, this is a Synthwave song (Stupid Love is that ya):

I’ve gotten this far with my analysis. What else is there to the differences? Thank you

Zander

Synthpop came from New Wave in the late 70's and Synthwave came from EDM in the early 00's which was influenced by 80's filmtracks and video games.

Stupid Love isn't really synthwave though. It's a watered down easy to digest pop inspired version of synthwave. 

Widows Kiss
1 minute ago, Zander said:

Stupid Love isn't really synthwave though. It's a watered down easy to digest pop inspired version of synthwave. 

Chile, you went IN  :deadbanana:

NFRatwell
7 minutes ago, Zander said:

Synthpop came from New Wave in the late 70's and Synthwave came from EDM in the early 00's which was influenced by 80's filmtracks and video games.

Maybe I should’ve said it was Synthwave-pop 

Oh wait I did 

homomo

Synthwave coincides more with the nostalgic feeling it gives off. It's a lot like vaporwave, but heavily fused with 80s style synths, arpeggios, etc etc.

It doesn't necessarily have to be dark either. A lot of synthwave has happy/feel good chord progressions and synth -riffs. Like this track proves that amazingly.

The first 2 seconds of that song reminds me of American Kids by Poppy :ladyhaha:

Zander
12 minutes ago, NFRockwell said:

Maybe I should’ve said it was Synthwave-pop 

Oh wait I did 

I know you did. Generally speaking people think SL is flat out Synthwave.

Synthpop generally  = Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Eurthymics, Soft Cell etc...   

11 minutes ago, homomo said:

Synthwave coincides more with the nostalgic feeling it gives off. It's a lot like vaporwave, but heavily fused with 80s style synths, arpeggios, etc etc.

It doesn't necessarily have to be dark either. A lot of synthwave has happy/feel good chord progressions and synth -riffs. Like this track proves that amazingly.

I agree. I also find that Synthwave tends to have a cinematic / atmospheric feel to it that synthpop doesn't, which is why, imo, a lot of Synthwave tracks are mostly instrumental because that's the focus. 

Gov Hooka
1 minute ago, ProjectJoanne said:

The first 2 seconds of that song reminds me of American Kids by Poppy :ladyhaha:

poppy is literally so underrated in terms of her synthpop

Gov Hooka

For me personally, I hate genre definitions cause they're so nuanced and confusing :ladyhaha: 

Stupid Love is not synthwave or synthpop imo. It's just a simple electropop song with synthpop and maybe synthwave influences :selena:

Gov Hooka
26 minutes ago, Zander said:

okay i was always under the impression that synthpop came from disco/hi-nrg. but i guess it makes sense that it came from new wave when you think of bands like new order and depeche mode.  

4 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

Ok so IC is like one of my fave songs from AIAG? but like I JUST realized that that intro sounds like music that would play during the scenes in Regular Show where they're like building something or working towards their goal or something :ladyhaha:

Bad example for the music, but like all the scenes like this :ladyhaha:

Gov Hooka
3 minutes ago, ProjectJoanne said:

Ok so IC is like one of my fave songs from AIAG? but like I JUST realized that that intro sounds like music that would play during the scenes in Regular Show where they're like building something or working towards their goal or something :ladyhaha:

Bad example for the music, but like all the scenes like this :ladyhaha:

Haha maybe if you replace that montage with a cartoon twink trying on makeup and dresses for the first time, that's the vibe she was going for :ladyhaha:

I'm seeing poppy next weekend though and I'm so excited. :excited:

Just now, Gov Hooka said:

Haha maybe if you replace that montage with a cartoon twink trying on makeup and dresses for the first time, that's the vibe she was going for :ladyhaha:

I'm seeing poppy next weekend though and I'm so excited. :excited:

True :ally:

Also omg!!! I wanted to go to her AIAG? tour and the new I Disagree tour but I can't :giveup:

Archived