Sign in to follow this  
science

30 New Viruses Found In Melting 15,000 Year Old Glacier

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/dozens-of-previously-unknown-viruses-discovered-in-15-000-year-old-glaciers

Melting glaciers has more threats than just the commonly talked about issue of rising sea levels...

One known issue is that ancient viruses and bacteria no longer around are actually not entirely extinct and often are trapped and dormant in ice

This 15,000 year old glacier melting in Central Asia has been identified to have at least 30 viruses or bacteria previously unknown to science

While researchers and scientists stress that most bacteria and viruses are usually relatively harmless and there is no need to go full on panic mode and that serious threats are a worse case scenario, there is always the risk that some dangerous ones we have no immunity to could make their way back into nature

• Like 3
  • Shook 8
  • Sad 1

Biggest Fan

Wow that’s some news right here

maybe the rise of this new virus  corona virus etc might be the effect of this climate change effects

and many others will come, mainly from the sea creature we eat

Edited by Biggest Fan
🤖

Economy
Just now, Gabe said:

well thats another way to go

yay melting glaciers...

I mean... This must happen again and again over the long term

If anything, if humans didn't cause warming and these glaciers stayed frozen way longer, when they finally melted they might be 100,000 years old instead of 15,000 and they'd be even more changed than the viruses in nature and kill more animals than with it melting earlier

It's a mess ok I'm just trying to look at a bright side to all this :messga:

• Like 1

Red

Okay now that's bad :rip: 

Nobody is gonna kill me if I don't open the door
  • Like 1

artpopsexual

Omg, this is so dangerous... And besides the fact of the rising sea levels, we don't know what people can do with these viruses and bacteria :selena:.

They were unknown till now and they can be used in many ways in the world if the wrong people get them.

Economy
Just now, Biggest Fan said:

Wow that’s some news right here

maybe the rise of this new virus  corona virus etc might be the effect of this climate change effects

Who knows...

Viruses mutate so quickly and new strains form so fast it could of originated from all kinds of sources

Do they know where the current strain of corona virus came from?

• Like 2

Economy
1 minute ago, ARTPOPsexual said:

Omg, this is so dangerous... And besides the fact of the rising sea levels, we don't know what people can do with these viruses and bacteria :selena:.

They were unknown till now and they can be used in many ways in the world if the wrong people get them.

Only a small percentage of viruses and bacteria pose a serious thread to human population... Even among older viruses

I'm seriously hoping none of these 30 are among the few deadly ones :enigma:

• Thanks 1

Epione

We are ****ed in any way. Thanks ancient boomers.

Edited by Epione
  • LMAO 1

TimisaMonster

yikes...even out of 30 viruses I'm sure a handful of them are harmful to humans and they are downplaying it, so as not to cause a panic as they mentioned.

Santa Stefani

Nature is really a surprise. 
I mean, have science never thought about find those organisms freezed and inactive in melting glaciers since we’re living in a full freezing spermatozoa era?

Edited by Santa Stefani
  • Like 1

Santa Stefani
1 minute ago, Santa Stefani said:

Nature is really a surprise. 
I mean, have science thought about find those organisms freezed and inactive in melting glaciers since we’re living in a full freezing spermatozoa era?