Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

TMZ reported Kobe’s death before family was notified

Featured Posts

SamanthaC

From CNN:
It also upset police who suggested the speed in which TMZ had reported the news -- a little more than an hour after police said they received reports of a downed aircraft -- outpaced that of officers who were seeking to notify the family members of victims.

"It would be extremely disrespectful to understand that your loved one ... perished and you learn about it from TMZ," Villanueva said. "That is just wholly inappropriate."

Los Angeles County Undersheriff Tim Murakami also jabbed TMZ in a tweet. 

"I am saddened that I was gathering facts as a media outlet reported ... Kobe had passed," Murakami wrote. "I understand getting the scoop but please allow us time to make personal notifications to their loved ones. It's very cold to hear of the loss via media.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/media/tmz-death-report-kobe-bryant/index.html

I was concerned about this on Sunday Since TMZ came out with the report so quickly. I know they want to be first with a story but at some point compassion should step in. 

Spoiler

I wasn’t sure what to tag this, so if it needs a different one if someone would let me know.

Edited by SamanthaC
The Adele of GGD's Member Awards 2020
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 14

Hola Soraya

TMZ is an absolute bog roll of a website. :neyde: 

¿Tú me estás hablando en inglés?
  • Like 8

Biggest Fan

They are just working and doing their job as a news 

🤖
  • Like 7
  • Sad 6
  • Thanks 1

SamanthaC
Just now, Biggest Fan said:

So I get this argument 100%. My husband works for the news but they always make sure not to release victims names before police release them. He’s even been fussed at by random people in Facebook for posting photos of a car accident without names because the victim’s family may be able to identify them via the vehicle. I just don’t agree with releasing names before family is contacted. Think about if your loved one died in some horrible tragedy and the news was the way you found out. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5

ThatBinch
4 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

F*cking hell. :fail:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

KNJ

This is very true. It's possible TMZ could've pieced it all together with sources from that airport and schedules and scanner chatter. 

But, to be 100% confidently publish it, means they had to have had an inside source.

So simultaneously, LAPD needs to clean out their deep rooted leak problem.

Lady Gaga always bring the heat --CNN
  • Like 3

Altair

I don’t see the big deal in this. 
you sort of give up a huge portion of your privacy when you get famous. 
everyone should know this by now. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

kyanewest
15 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

It's not right though. There are a lot of things you can do in this world but it can be morally wrong. If you have morals you don't go thru with it. A good example is the Scooter Braun and Taylor issue. Scooter was in the right as a businessman to do what he did, but it's morally wrong.

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ThatBinch
1 minute ago, kyanewest said:

It's not right though. There are a lot of things you can do in this world but it can be morally wrong. If you have morals you don't go thru with it. A good example is the Scooter Braun and Taylor issue. Scooter was in the right as a businessman to do what he did, but it's morally wrong.

Thank you. 

Some people on this site need to learn that just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should.

• Thanks 3

LaMaisonGaga

TMZ is the toilet of the news world.

lamaisongaga.com
  • Like 1

SamanthaC
12 minutes ago, Altair said:

Umm no. I’m sorry but being famous doesn’t automatically mean your family should find out about your death from the news. Yes you give up some of your privacy but this is not okay.The public doesn’t own people just because they’re famous. We do not have the right to learn of their death before their family.

Think about the other people that were on the helicopter that weren’t famous. I’m sure their family knew they were with Kobe and were able to piece things together. 

Edited by SamanthaC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Varys
12 minutes ago, Altair said:

Its not like your family chooses to be famous. Like if it was gaga you would find it normal that Joe and Cynthia would find it out on TMZ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

KNJ
8 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

News??? Do not mistake TMZ for The New York Times. They do not respect the standards of ethical journalism. 

They are not interested in fairness or decency. They want your nudes, they want your mugshots, they want pics of your dead body and are willing to squeeze that medical examiner, with mortgage about to default, to get it. 

They are a gossip rag that are really good at what they do: leech and scavenge peoples lives for money. To conflate their m.o. with actual journalism is a grave mistake. 

Lady Gaga always bring the heat --CNN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3