Jump to content
The Evolution of Gaga
science

Immune Discovery 'May Treat All Cancer'


PoetsTryinWrite

Featured Posts

Edonis
7 hours ago, Economy said:

 

I think these claims are slightly exagerated... While beaureocracy can often stand in the way or sometimes a treatment may not be profitable to develop which may also prevent companies from pursuing it...

 

I don't believe governments purposely go out of their way to stop treatments from flourishing

 

Healthcare is a huge cost for almost every government. Governments would welcome the reduced financial pressure if anything

Oh wait I'm just talking about budget cuts that have been done under the Trump administration that has affected all phases of biomedical research; this is an actual issue. Of course private labs and labs sponsored by or functioning under major pharmaceutical companies and clients are usually unaffected by these cuts, but public laboratories and those sponsored by state universities and hospitals often do get the short-end of the stick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Economy
2 minutes ago, Edonis said:

Oh wait I'm just talking about budget cuts that have been done under the Trump administration that has affected all phases of biomedical research; this is an actual issue. Of course private labs and labs sponsored by or functioning under major pharmaceutical companies and clients are usually unaffected by these cuts, but public laboratories and those sponsored by state universities and hospitals often do get the short-end of the stick. 

My reply was hours ago I forget what my full line of reasoning was when connecting my comment to what u said :air:

 

Anyway I was just saying that I do think some potentially good treatments don't end up seeing the light of day either because if complicated beaureocracy, or if they are too expensive to make and companies don't see profit in them

 

But in terms of a conspiracy purposely trying to stop good new treatments, I don't see the government doing that generally speaking...

 

I can see big pharma or lobbyists trying to get in the way of stuff that threatens their bottom line... But I don't think the government generally would 

 

Doing so would only hurt the government given that healthcare the biggest social cost in almost every Country...

 

Only in cases of corruption (like a company paying politicians under the table to sobatoge another companies research that threatens them). I'm sure stuff like that on occasion happens without our knowledge...

 

But I don't its a frequent norm to the degree many ppl believe... It may happen in isolated cases, but generally speaking I don't think the government is going around sabatoging breakthrough research. If anything private companies might try in some way directly or indirectly, the government usually I don't think so

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eighteen

i really hope this is the one. my grandma was diagnosed 6 months ago and this disease in all its variations has made it to my personal public enemy number 1 **** you!!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edonis
1 minute ago, Economy said:

My reply was hours ago I forget what my full line of reasoning was when connecting my comment to what u said :air:

 

Anyway I was just saying that I do think some potentially good treatments don't end up seeing the light of day either because if complicated beaureocracy, or if they are too expensive to make and companies don't see profit in them

 

But in terms of a conspiracy purposely trying to stop good new treatments, I don't see the government doing that generally speaking...

 

I can see big pharma or lobbyists trying to get in the way of stuff that threatens their bottom line... But I don't think the government generally would 

 

Doing so would only hurt the government given that healthcare the biggest social cost in almost every Country...

 

Only in cases of corruption (like a company paying politicians under the table to sobatoge another companies research that threatens them). I'm sure stuff like that on occasion happens without our knowledge...

 

But I don't its a frequent norm to the degree many ppl believe... It may happen in isolated cases, but generally speaking I don't think the government is going around sabatoging breakthrough research. If anything private companies might try in some way directly or indirectly, the government usually I don't think so

Oh no I agree, the conspiracy-culture that surrounds science and medicine is certainly a frustrating one for researchers and health care professionals that have to encounter these things from time to time and somehow try and debunk them against individuals that usually aren't wiling to change their mindsets. 

But in terms of research, particularly from public institutions that receive state or government-funding, it is absolutely not uncommon for agencies to reduce spending on research, and thus halting and extending projects. It's part of the reason why many researchers try to seek private funding or collaborate with bigger organizations (i.e. Big Pharma). 

From my own personal experience, I was working in the pulmonary cancer department of a major research hospital in Houston, Texas that relied almost entirely on state funding. Upon entering the third year for research, funds were cut extensively and the primary investigator had to combine lab efforts with a private research lab. It's not nearly as uncommon as one thinks and is probably one of the most frustrating things about being a scientist. I absolutely despise applying for funding lol. 

Spoiler

Also, I could have sworn I responded earlier but checked the thread and was confused why my post wasn't up lmao

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a meeting with my PhD supervisor and I brought up this paper. When I told him I saw it first on a Lady Gaga forum😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...