💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Academy members viciously reveal why Lopez, Sandler, Murphy got snubbed

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

oscarsnubs.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=12

Besides, the 91-year-old, who was nominated in 1952 for a best-supporting actress award for “Come Back, Little Sheba,” believes Lopez’s performance — which was widely expected to garner a nomination — was overrated.

“I would have been shocked if she did get it,” sniffed Moore, a longtime member of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Services who votes on Oscar nominees and was once married to Howard Hughes.

“First of all, ‘Hustlers’ is not an ‘Oscar movie.’ It’s a little too rough around the edges, and I’m assuming some other people in the acting category didn’t see it,” said a longtime character actor and Academy member. “Florence Pugh seems to have gotten the J. Lo spot — maybe because ‘Little Women’ is a prestige movie and she’s a bright, new star.

“Actors tend to think of Jennifer Lopez as a phenomenon more than an actress, per se. [It’s like last year, when] Lady Gaga lost the Oscar to Olivia Colman — a real actor’s actor.”

“There are a lot of movies, a lot of performances per year for us to watch. Unfortunately, actors become brands. Sandler’s brand doesn’t scream ‘Oscar,’ but Leo Di Caprio’s and Jonathan Pryce’s do,” the character actor said, name-checking 2020 nominees for “Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood” and “The Two Popes,” respectively.

“There was an arrogance to [Adam],” huffed a voting member. “It’s a lack of respect.”

In 2013, The Post wrote about insiders being miffed that Sandler was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the organization behind the Oscars. Calling Sandler and fellow inductee Beyoncé “unworthy,” one insider said: “They’re talented in their own ways, but is that what the Academy is about?”

As for Eddie Murphy, some voters disliked how hard he seemed to be campaigning for a nomination — including hosting “Saturday Night Live” after giving his old show the cold shoulder for 35 years.

“I didn’t like his attempt for it,” said Moore.

And while there’s little consolation for your peers turning up their noses at you, F. Murray Abraham, who won best actor in 1985 for “Amadeus,” has a message for this year’s snubbed crop: “Either you can accept it graciously, or you can fight against it.”

https://nypost.com/2020/01/18/academy-members-viciously-reveal-why-lopez-sandler-murphy-got-snubbed-from-oscars/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeanWinchester
6 minutes ago, Blue Lagoon said:

“There are a lot of movies, a lot of performances per year for us to watch. Unfortunately, actors become brands. Sandler’s brand doesn’t scream ‘Oscar,’ but Leo Di Caprio’s and Jonathan Pryce’s do,”

a bit ironic because it took them a long time before they awarded Leo. Anyways

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Reality

Honestly, I know that many people were shocked by JLo's snub, but it wasn't really a huge surprise to me...I haven't seen Hustlers, so I don't know whether or not it's deserving, but I mean, look at who's voting for the Acedemy...It's a bunch of "high brow" artistes voting for this kind of stuff. Of course a movie like Hustlers didn't get in.

I do think that genuine snubs come from movies like The Farewell. If you want to talk about movies that realistically could/should have gotten in, that's one of them. It was the best film of the year last year, imo, and the fact that Awkwafina was snubbed for Best Actress was crazy to me. 

🖤👹

That's a little shitty and honestly makes the Oscars seem far less important. If the movie and the acting is great, that should be all that matters. 

The award holds far less weight if they only care about certain types of films. 

Chromaticunt

Someone DM me the home address of the person who had the audacity to compare Lady Gaga to J Lo. I want a quiet word. :huntyga:

nenhures

And some people think that the Academy is entirely fair and not elitist at all  :smh: It's not even about specific people who got snubbed or not, their overall attitude is just so f*cking gross and snobbish.

Glamourpuss

I have to agree with this bit in bold. I'm not denouncing their work but they aren't in the same calibre as the people who get nominated for these awards. They haven't really proved their worth yet. 

In 2013, The Post wrote about insiders being miffed that Sandler was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the organization behind the Oscars. Calling Sandler and fellow inductee Beyoncé “unworthy,” one insider said: “They’re talented in their own ways, but is that what the Academy is about?”

RAMROD

This is just the way Hollywood tell J.Lo and Sandler to "stay in your lane!", they won't give them the pass to be serious and award winning actors. Which for them it is too high of an upgrade for both of those. Which is sad. But that is Hollywood for you.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Tbh Hustlers is a cool movie but it’s not a great movie. JLo was great in it but not to be Oscar nominated, let alone winner.

SpadesToStart

And they wonder why Oscars viewership has been in a nosedive for the last several  years

Serial Chiller

the pretentiousness of the Oscars. My god. So basically from the horse mouth singers can only get singing awards, in other words Gaga will never win best actress.

CannaeDrive

In such a context, the fact that Gaga had been that much appreciated by these Hollywood types makes it even more valuable and rare.

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

LaLuna

And these are the people whose recognition Hollywood craves? A bunch of old elitist farts? :ally:

3 minutes ago, Serial Chiller said:

the pretentiousness of the Oscars. My god. So basically from the horse mouth singers can only get singing awards, in other words Gaga will never win best actress.

Cher won Best Actress for Moonstruck though, so there's hope.

Ryusei

Basically the oscars are more about your image and about campaigns than your actual performance. And when the 2 match up perfectly, you win. 

Musery

To those saying JLo isn't at least worthy of an oscar nomination - you're crazy. She had one of the strongest supporting performances by an actress this past year - period. 

edit: How can the globes, critics choice, SAG, film independent awards all agree that she's worthy of a nomination yet the academy don't? It all comes down to image. They don't think she's worthy enough of a nomination because of her brand and also because of the character she plays in hustlers i.e a stripper/sex worker who makes questionable decisions told through the FEMALE gaze not a mans which in Hollywood is so rare.

This snub was more than just what meets the eye. The nominations overall lacked a shameful amount of race and gender diversity which is ironic since it was a remarkable year for women and POC. It's honestly a shame imo. 

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

Archived