Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Biggest Female Artist of All Time: Madonna Vs. Mariah Carey

Lighter

Featured Posts

Lighter

They’re THE TWO, no doubt. (Although I’m a bit conflicted by pitting Beyoncé and Taylor with them also)

but back to them.

If we’re gonna use overall sales as basis. The Guinness confirms Madonna has the overall total.

But any other factors you’d want to considerate to conclude who’s the bigger one? Discuss.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guillaume Hamon

It's Madonna.

Mariah may have more number one songs but Madonna had way bigger tours and overall sold more albums.  Both were credited for influencing plenty of young artists but Madonna got  a longer time as a hitmaker ( 1990 to 2008 for Mariah VS  1984 to 2008 for Madonna).

Now what Mariah did by making rap features on pop songs way more mainstream is HUGE in term of impact on the industry and she's rarely given the credit for that...

Guillaume Hamon

Beyoncé and Taylor will still have at least 10 additional years in the business to be placed at their level imo. :) 

Jose P

I mean, look I don’t really care much for Mariah’s music. Why, I don’t know. But I think she’s extremely talented, legendary, and I don’t doubt her legacy and success.

But Madonna is truly way over her in terms of both sales (as you said) and impact. She was truly a trailblazer for female artists and is one of the most impactful and important female artists in history.

The way she’s broken boundaries with her music throughout her career is something many dismiss because they simply “don’t like her”. Her bold political statements regarding female sexuality and even American politics are something I’ve always applauded her for. The woman has some giant balls and she’s never been afraid of speaking her mind with her music. And many still dismiss her because she shaded Gaga or they don’t like her attitude.

She has both the sales and the massive impact. And let’s not talk about her longevity. This woman started out in 1983, scored what I’d consider her first hit in 1984 and kept on scoring hits all the way to 2005 and you could say even 2008. She headlined the Super Bowl in 2011, almost 30 years into her career. The MDNA Tour was one of the highest grossing tours in the USA. 

I think Mariah is a legend, but Madonna is leagues over every female artist ever, both commercially, impact-wise, and longevity-wise. The only one that comes close and I consider equal to her is Cher. And maybe, just maybe, Barbra Streissand.

Musicisfreedom
3 minutes ago, Trillion Reasons said:

There's only one Queen, and that's Madonna. 

black and white wink GIF

Bitch I'm Madonna

Gov Hooka

Madonna is WAYYY more global than Mariah. Hell I think even Whitney Houston is bigger than Mariah.

I love Mimi though.

derpmonster
17 minutes ago, BadGurlMadge said:

Just so y'all know. Google the queen of pop and google will put an answer. No joke

so I think the answer is obvious:bon:

Google "New queen of pop" :ally:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Jose P
1 minute ago, derpmonster said:

Google "New queen of pop" :ally:

Gaga is my ultimate fave, but she really does need at least another decade of experience to be on the same level as Madonna in terms of legacy.

FfFfFfFF
49 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

It's Madonna.

Mariah may have more number one songs but Madonna had way bigger tours and overall sold more albums.  Both were credited for influencing plenty of young artists but Madonna got  a longer time as a hitmaker ( 1990 to 2008 for Mariah VS  1984 to 2008 for Madonna).

Now what Mariah did by making rap features on pop songs way more mainstream is HUGE in term of impact on the industry and she's rarely given the credit for that...

All of this + Mariah's success was way more local to US than Madonna's.

Archived