💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The Guardian: NFR, the best album of 2019

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

When Lana Del Rey arrived in 2011, anyone who bet on her becoming one of the decade’s defining artists would now be quids in. As sublime as her debut single Video Games was, her debut album, Born to Die, was flimsy, laced with hiccupy hip-hop affectations and surface obsessions that didn’t suggest much potential for maturation. 

5345.jpg?width=1300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=5f7a52a175012c2e97ee7294e43360daIn 2017, the New York Times music reporter Joe Coscarelli tweeted: “Serious Q, why does everyone seem to unequivocally love Lana Del Rey now? What changed?” What changed is that an artist perceived as a dilettante, thanks to sexist assumptions about her aesthetic and background, turned out to be one of pop’s grafters. She leaned into the image that had aroused suspicions, creating an identity so indelible that when she swapped her pout for a grin on the cover of 2017’s Lust for Life, it was as startling as finding a green can of Coke.

More significantly, Del Rey deepened her craft, producing six albums in nine years, each better than the last. In pop’s big league, only Drake matched her productivity, although he might wish he had her increasing creative returns. Her themes became more provocative, while her sweeping, lunar balladry pushed beyond cliched noir. Here was someone who knew exactly what she was doing – and when other people tried it (see: Taylor Swift’s Wildest Dreams), something was clearly missing. There were hundreds of crooners, but only one Frank Sinatra.

Del Rey’s image and artistry perfectly aligned for the first time on this year’s Norman ****ing Rockwell! (NFR), a supremely confident declaration of self. Unlike Lust for Life, with its unconvincing forays into trap, Del Rey’s stately sixth album is completely out of step with contemporary trends: as if a Brill Building stablehand went west on a Laurel Canyon recon mission. Those sounds are more than just another layer of Americana cosplay (though they are that, too). 

Lana-Del-Rey.jpg

Perhaps Powers hit a nerve because NFR is Del Rey’s least guarded album: she pledges to embrace “the darkness, the deepness,” as she sings on Mariners Apartment Complex, “all the things that make me who I am”. The album ends with a pledge to keep that guard down, Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have – But I Have it. 

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/20/best-albums-2019-no-1-lana-del-rey-norman-****ing-rockwell?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2yn-7AF4MF7Ejlfznyq97I1oh6qdJQt6PSxyuMeTRfenpBqrckQkpxzIw#Echobox=1576826567

Ryusei

They didn‘t lie. They also put Pang at #11 :diane: and unlike other flop publications they included Lover :diane: 

Musery

BleepBloop
33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If she doesn't win Album of the Year I will riot.

I would REALLY just like for this to happen. Like just to see her walk up on stage:bradley:

Ryusei
3 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

I would REALLY just like for this to happen. Like just to see her walk up on stage:bradley:

Imagine her not attending :air: „Hi guys, thank you so much, ummm *vapes* I‘m currently making my own kombucha (or however you spell it) I really liked making this album with Jack so thank you so much Jack. And thank you to the grammys for this honor *vapes again* thank you *hand kiss*“

Musery

Thomas P

They gave the album 3 stars in their review 

I see they found their missing taste

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Suspiria
1 hour ago, Sneaky said:

Can't wait to see her accept her first Grammy in her Adidas skirt and horse riding boots:diane:

Sneaky Oliver
3 hours ago, Sneaky said:

The Haus Of Sneaky stans Lana, we have taste here :hug:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Archived