💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

Guest Blue Madonna

Featured Posts

Guest Blue Madonna

It's finally out! :woot:

I just watched the midnight premiere and it was epic. I'll do a full review tomorrow morning but I thought I'd post this and see how many others watched it early :teehee:

star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-theatric

The end of an era omg :bradley: I can't wait to see where they'll take it next. In the meantime I'll be streaming The Mandalorian! :diane:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality

I'm watching it on Monday and I literally cannot wait any longer!

I'm glad you enjoyed it; it already seems that this movie will be just as divisive, if not, probably more divisive than "The Last Jedi"....It has a 61% (as of this response), and while that is "fresh", it's still significantly lower than both "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi".

That said, I've always love Star Wars ever since I was a kid. I loved both the last two movies too, despite how divisive they are. Knowing myself, I'll love this movie no matter what! 

🃏🖤👹

Guest Blue Madonna
2 minutes ago, Unbeweavable said:

pleease tell me it's better tan the tragedy of the last movie? 

yep. it has its issues and its successes but overall it's definitely better than TLJ

Reality
3 minutes ago, Unbeweavable said:

I wouldn't say that TLJ was a "tragedy". It certainly has its issues (the pacing was the biggest problem for me), but I enjoyed it overall. 

🃏🖤👹

corvus albus
4 minutes ago, Unbeweavable said:

I don't know if this is possible because TLJ is one of the best Star Wars movies ever :confused:

Chromatislaps
14 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

I wouldn't say that TLJ was a "tragedy". It certainly has its issues (the pacing was the biggest problem for me), but I enjoyed it overall. 

I think if you look at the audience rating compared to critics rating... it's a tragedy. Especially if you compare it to a great movie like the Joker. The Last Jedi get's like a 45% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and I think a 4.4 on Metacritics while they get approx a 85 and 95 critic score... I feel like the media is quite biased.

The Joker is the total opposite, has a great narrative, great cinematography, etc. But get's a very low critic score because of that it would socalled instigate "incels" to perform attacks, while the movie is about coping with mental issues in a harsh society.

The problems of The Last Jedi are the pacing, the forced agenda, the overdone subverting of expections, the un necessary inclusion of the Kanto Byte story arc and Rose Tico, the disrespect/destruction of Luke Skywalkers character. Ryan Johnson kind of ****ed up the story arc that the Force Awakens set up. The Rise Of Skywalker feels more like a proper sequel to the Force Awakens, than the Last Jedi did.

Zander

I’ll probably watch it when it’s available to stream but I’ve noticed people commonly saying after watching this “what was the point of the trilogy?” - of course I’ll decide for myself if I like it but the reviews have not been good so far. I’m kind of glad they’ll be no more Star Wars movies continuing on from this saga. 

corvus albus
11 minutes ago, Flopplause said:

The problems of The Last Jedi are the pacing, the forced agenda, the overdone subverting of expections, the un necessary inclusion of the Kanto Byte story arc and Rose Tico, the disrespect/destruction of Luke Skywalkers character. Ryan Johnson kind of ****ed up the story arc that the Force Awakens set up. The Rise Of Skywalker feels more like a proper sequel to the Force Awakens, than the Last Jedi did.

giphy.gif

Your criticisms are laughable tbh. They couldn't have ended Lukes character arc any better, there is no forced agenda even if you believe that SJW ruined everything and Rose is one of the best new additions that the movie had. You can criticise some if its pacing but overall the narrative flows largely natural.

Chromatislaps
2 hours ago, corvus albus said:

giphy.gif

Your criticisms are laughable tbh. The couldn't have ended Lukes character arc any better, there is no forced agende even if yo ubelieve that SJW ruined everything and Rose is one of the best new additions that the movie had. You can criticise some if its pacing but overall the narrative flows largely natural.

You're entitled to your own opinion. I'm not mad at the girl power in the movie, but the way it's portrayed is just not interesting to me.

Rey hasn't had an arc of growth like Anakin or Luke had, Rey has been a Mary Sue from TLJ onwards. For context, a Mary Sue is a character that is perfect in anyway, has no character growth and is mostly unrelatable for that matter. Originally Leia would have been the chosen one...instead of Luke (this was referred to in episode 5), Episode 9 was originally about Leia, and her story as the mother of a dark side force user, would have been more interesting with her struggles.

Luke Skywalker could have been more interesting as someone who is always on the run, hopping from planet to planet, outrunning the First Order. 

Actually the whole production of episode 9 was fcked up because Carrie fisher died, and Ryan Johnson changed a lot of story elements that would have been needed.

Also Disney threw out George Lucas's story outlines for the sequel trilogy and also the Legends materials (which is a LOT of material) in favor of something they would concoct with half assed writing and no "source material".

Sorry but all the things TFA built up, where destroyed in TLJ, usually there is a crisis or big conflict in the second installment  of a trilogy, there wasn't a conflict in this one, it felt like the story ended at the end of TLJ.

I can go on with stuff that doesn't feel right with the movie. It's well filmed, but narrative wise it just doesn't work.

Reality
1 hour ago, Flopplause said:

I think if you look at the audience rating compared to critics rating... it's a tragedy. Especially if you compare it to a great movie like the Joker. The Last Jedi get's like a 45% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and I think a 4.4 on Metacritics while they get approx a 85 and 95 critic score... I feel like the media is quite biased.

The Joker is the total opposite, has a great narrative, great cinematography, etc. But get's a very low critic score because of that it would socalled instigate "incels" to perform attacks, while the movie is about coping with mental issues in a harsh society.

Sure, it's a "tragedy" if you look at the audience score, but in that response I made, I was talking about it from my perspective. I don't think the movie was a tragedy.

Speaking of Joker, by the way, I feel like that this movie will have a similar effect that Joker had. I have a feeling (or at the very least, I'm hopeful) that TROS will have a higher audience score than critic score. This is probably the conspiracy theorist inside me, but I just find the difference between TLJ and TROS soooo jarring, that it almost seems unreal. Like, 91% of critics liked TLJ, quite literally the most divisive Star Wars movie ever, but then those same critics all of a sudden hate TROS (even though I've seen many fans, not critics say that it's a pretty good movie)? It almost seems like the critics want to get on fans' good side and learned from their "mistakes" from TLJ.

That said, moving on to TLJ specifically, like I said, I think it has problems, but I also don't think it's the shitshow that many people say it is.

Pacing:
I've already stated how I feel about this. I think it's TLJ's biggest problem.

Subverting of expectations:
I think that this is a bit more nuanced. There are some expectations that I think are completely warranted because of what was set up in the first movie. That said, I think plot points like Rey's parents being a mystery and all that are perpetuated by fans. If it wasn't for all these crazy fan theories, then the reaction wouldn't have been so bad. And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love fan theories. I revel in them, but even I can admit that sometimes fans' high expectations are their own downfall.

Canto Bight:
I agree that this was sort of unnecessary. I didn't really care for it.

Rose Tico:
I'm indifferent towards her character. I don't hate her, I don't love her. That said, I certainly don't think her character or the actress deserves all the hate she gets.

Disrespect of Luke Skywalker:
Again, I sort of agree here. I think that what Rian Johnson was trying to do was for Luke to have a "darker" side, like how Anakin has a darker side to him, but the execution was off.

Forced agenda:
This is perhaps the thing I have an issue with most. Can someone please explain to me, what this "forced agenda" is? Cause if it's there, it's not working. If we're talking about the inclusion of female characters and characters of color (which is the problem I've seen when talking about this "SJW/liberal agenda"), then those are quite frankly things people need to get over. Women exist and POC exist. Adding more of them doesn't make this all of a sudden an "agenda". 

🃏🖤👹

Okay so I just got out of the cinema

the bad reviews it’s getting is definitely because of where Star Wars is right now and its perception. This is nowhere near prequel bad

it’s incredibly action packed and fun, some bits were really good, others were not so good. The whole Emperor thing felt really random, as did Rey’s lineage reveal. Also the scenes with Leia screamed stand in and made me scream. The ending was really cute though 

i saw a lot of people saying it’s heavy on the fan service but I would say it’s more emotionally manipulative than anything else. Basically every line and scene with the legacy characters hits you right in the gut, I cried so many times. And that is where I found it tried to make up for fan dissatisfaction and everything Rian did, it feels more like a sequel than TLJ. But all the rest seemed like a normal Star Wars movie to me 

the only thing that really bothered me was that 

Spoiler

If the force is all about balance, how was Palpatine and an entire army of Siths able to exist and rise within the Dark Side without causing the Jedi and Light Side to rise as well? 

who will love me when the night is over

Andy McQueen
49 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Forced agenda:
This is perhaps the thing I have an issue with most. Can someone please explain to me, what this "forced agenda" is? Cause if it's there, it's not working. If we're talking about the inclusion of female characters and characters of color (which is the problem I've seen when talking about this "SJW/liberal agenda"), then those are quite frankly things people need to get over. Women exist and POC exist. Adding more of them doesn't make this all of a sudden an "agenda". 

Exactly! Thanks. :applause:

Archived