URBAN OUTFITTERS CYBER MONDAY: UP TO $75 OFF

Sign in to follow this  
society

Global Warming: Canada Regresses On Commitments By Easing Carbon Tax

Economy

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ottawa-accepts-alberta-tier-plan-carbon-pricing-1.5386955

Canada (which along with the US and Australia are the most behind developed Nations in meeting their emissions reductions targets) has taken a further step back by reducing the Carbon Tax

The Province Of Alberta which produces 2/3 of Canada's Oil and holds 97% of Canada's massive Oil reserves, and is also the largest Coal burner and Producer in the Country in addition to natural gas and propane has reduced the Carbon Tax weight factor

While it remains at the $30/tone the last party put in place it will now only apply to emissions that go above a target threshold which essentially gets rid of the majority of the Carbon Tax

The Federal Government participated in the cut by approving the change. The Federal law as of last year requires every Province to have their own carbon tax plan to Federal satisfaction or else they are subject to the Federal plan

This Provincial Carbon tax plan is way more lax than the Federal one and it is raising eye brows that the Federal Government would be satisfied with it.

Edited by Economy
  • Sad 1

Newpolitics

not canada why?:omg:

A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes I screamed aloud, as it tore through them, and now it's left me blind

Economy
20 minutes ago, Newpolitics said:

not canada why?:omg:

Canada may be socially progressive but when it comes to environment...

I think it's just difficult for a country with such an abundance of natural resources to ignore it and leave it in the ground

Canada has massive amounts of Oil (3rd highest after Venezuela and Saudi Arabia), and a lesser amount but still in the top 10 high amount of Coal and Natural Gas

We also have almost every type of precious metal, diamonds, potash, uranium etc

I think it's gonna be very tough for Canada to let it go... Or at the very least regulate it very tightly (because that slows down its investment)

Canada's has slowed it's resource development in recent years compared to how it used to and the economy is growing slower as a result and people in resource dependant provinces (like Alberta and Saskatchewan)feel it and question the wisdom of so much environmental regulation and are now fighting it

It's a national debate and unity struggle cuz some Provinces like British Columbia or Quebec have very little public support for resource development anywhere in Canada

• Sad 1