Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

"Pete Buttigieg is a Lying MF"

Featured Posts

PoshLife
3 minutes ago, Lilmonzter said:

Well he is!

An answer but a non answer, pulling a number from kellyanne conways book!

I could point out more things but why bother

Someone just pointed it out

I don't usually engage with people who clearly know not what they are speaking of, but I must ask - do you truly believe Kellyanne Conway is the first person in politics to not answer a question? Do you think the Trump Administration invented that?

Also, this video was in my YouTube recommendations last night despite the fact that I never watch political channels like this on YouTube (I get my news from real sources). So it's definitely paid promotion, but again - who's paying for it?

creek creek butter cartman yaoi kyle creek creek

Ziggy

I really don’t agree with this interpretation. I think he phrased himself a bit wonky and he shied away from pointing out racism by name, but I think he tried pursuing that sentiment. I think this sounds more just like what a white speechwriter would say who is uncomfortable dropping the ‘“r” word’ because it might be “inflammatory”. Again, I’m no big fan of Buttigieg but this just seems like looking for a reason to not like what he’s saying. From my reading, he’s saying the exact same thing that the author of the article is but is more vague about it which could lead to the muddled point (though imo it was crystal clear). He wasn’t blaming black communities, he was saying those examples of why education is critical aren’t there which this author agrees with he just takes the leap to also paint the broader picture of *why* those examples aren’t there. Buttigieg didn’t go into the why which he probably should have. But I could also have read into it differently. So I see problematic shizz here, but not what the author is pointing out.

OG Gaga Stan
9 minutes ago, Economy said:

@OG Gaga Stan I don't think the objection is fully founded tho

He said they haven't seen it work or that they don't see the rewards etc

Blacks earning 80 cents on the dollar or having higher unemployment is perfectly aligned with what he was saying...

If the ppl u know that get an education don't get payed fairly or sometimes don't find work in their field at all... U could be tempted to think why bother with extra education at all?

If even some whites are starting to loose faith and enthusiasm in the ever diminishing rewards of post secondary in today's horrible economy.... Imagine minorities that are even more affected :shrug:

You’re having a totally different conversation. Buttigieg didn’t cite any of what you just said as the reasoning behind systemic, social and economic black disenfranchisement in America and in the education system. He said that it pertained to a lack of evidence from older examples coming from similar backgrounds, i.e. a lack of role models, which is the language that the author is objecting to (and for good reason).

• Thanks 1

Economy
3 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

You’re having a totally different conversation. Buttigieg didn’t cite any of what you just said as the reasoning behind systemic, social and economic black disenfranchisement in America and in the education system. He said that it pertained to a lack of evidence from older examples coming from similar backgrounds, i.e. a lack of role models, which is the language that the author is objecting to (and for good reason).

Yeah but wouldn't lack of examples be as a result of those reasons? I don't get the difference

He simply said they don't have the role models or examples. He didn't specify what he believes is the reason for that.

Edited by Economy

Meruk Holland
2 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

So you're upset he didn't explain where he got that line of thinking from? What if he did come up with that summary from @Economy's line of thinking. "The current system fails minorities, meaning there are less success stories of minorities in the system, therefore there is a lack of evidence (i.e. role models) the system will work for minorities"

• Like 2

HorusRa2
7 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

I don't usually engage with people who clearly know not what they are speaking of, but I must ask - do you truly believe Kellyanne Conway is the first person in politics to not answer a question? Do you think the Trump Administration invented that?

Also, this video was in my YouTube recommendations last night despite the fact that I never watch political channels like this on YouTube (I get my news from real sources). So it's definitely paid promotion, but again - who's paying for it?

Kyle is one of the original founders of Justice Democrats and is one of the best political commentators on the left at least in terms of understanding the politics of a specific issue (I.E. impeachment likely to help trump as opposed to democrats.). That said he also resigned from the Justice democrats because he disagreed with them asking Cenk from the young Turks to step down because of some problematic writings from 15 years ago that resurfaced now that he’s running for Congress I 

• Thanks 2

OG Gaga Stan
4 minutes ago, Meruk Holland said:

So you're upset he didn't explain where he got that line of thinking from? What if he did come up with that summary from @Economy's line of thinking. "The current system fails minorities, meaning there are less success stories of minorities in the system, therefore there is a lack of evidence (i.e. role models) the system will work for minorities"

The author is upset by the fact that a candidate for president with a terrible record on race previously said that people in marginalized communities don’t seek out higher education because they don’t have role models to look up to, as if it’s a problem of individual culpability rather than systemic oppression. That’s what he was objecting to. 

Edited by OG Gaga Stan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PoshLife

I think by now it's becoming clear to everyone reading this thread that, much like the author of the original screed, OG Gaga Stan is oversimplifying Mayor Pete's words so as to distort their meaning, in order to get you to think Mayor Pete said something racist. They're begging their own claim: "Don't you agree that this worse version of what Pete said is bad?"

• Like 3
  • LMAO 3
  • Thanks 1

Ziggy

I read this as “educated white guy has been educated so knows and can speak authority on issues.” but doesn’t do the key thing of deferring when he might not be able to speak best to something. It’s regressive in its own way, absolutely; but I wouldn’t say it’s *lying*.  Lying would imply that he knowingly was espousing the falsehood but I genuinely think that he believes in the fact that he’s been incredibly well-educated providing him authority on the situation.

I wish that nuance were in there more; it’s not as cute a hashtag, but I think it speaks to how this particular brand of regressive politics works. It’s more about arrogance than it is about the status quo being maintained. Folk like him think they have all the answers themselves because of their brains and birthright. It just operates differently than lying which paints a more consciously malevolent picture than I think is appropriate for the characterization. Idk just my gripe.

• Like 1

PoshLife
5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I read this as “educated white guy has been educated so knows and can speak authority on issues.” but doesn’t do the key thing of deferring when he might not be able to speak best to something. It’s regressive in its own way, absolutely; but I wouldn’t say it’s *lying*.  Lying would imply that he knowingly was espousing the falsehood but I genuinely think that he believes in the fact that he’s been incredibly well-educated providing him authority on the situation.

I wish that nuance were in there more; it’s not as cute a hashtag, but I think it speaks to how this particular brand of regressive politics works. It’s more about arrogance than it is about the status quo being maintained. Folk like him think they have all the answers themselves because of their brains and birthright. It just operates differently than lying which paints a more consciously malevolent picture than I think is appropriate for the characterization. Idk just my gripe.

When you're running for president, though, you must take up the mantle. Your answer for every question about race can't be "well I'll hire people of color in my administration to handle that for me." You need to show leadership. 

I otherwise agree that white guys shouldn't be trying to lead on the issue of race - white people should use their own voices to amplify POC voices and ensure they are heard and taken seriously - but being an elected leader means you have to be out there.

Edited by PoshLife

OG Gaga Stan
15 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

I think by now it's becoming clear to everyone reading this thread that, much like the author of the original screed, OG Gaga Stan is oversimplifying Mayor Pete's words so as to distort their meaning, in order to get you to think Mayor Pete said something racist. They're begging their own claim: "Don't you agree that this worse version of what Pete said is bad?"

I’m not oversimplifying anything. I’m stating exactly what the author is taking issue with in Buttigieg’s answer.

And based on the responses in here, no, not “everyone reading the thread” would agree with that assessment of what’s going on here. :rip:

9 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

I otherwise agree that white guys shouldn't be trying to lead on the issue of race - white people should use their own voices to amplify POC voices and ensure they are heard and taken seriously - but being an elected leader means you have to be out there.

Amplify the voices of POC... unless they criticize the center-right politician I want to defend. Not THOSE voices. :rip:

Ziggy
11 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

When you're running for president, though, you must take up the mantle. Your answer for every question about race can't be "well I'll hire people of color in my administration to handle that for me." You need to show leadership. 

Well in this particular case, i think it calls for something with more tact than simply showing authority because race is so deeply baked into the country. Even referencing statistics or someone/someplace where this information was gotten would read better imo. I totally get where you’re coming from and hindsight is 20/20; race is one of those things that even as a leader you can’t just walk in on as an authority figure without receipts, ya know?

the Devil of Pop

Pete Buttigieg doesn’t want to change anything. He just wants to be something.

The same could be said about the majority of the 2020 Democratic candidates (besides the blessed Bernie and Liz). It's all just personality cultivating for their future branding.  

How can I protect something so perfect without evil?

Bae
45 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

As someone who is not a supporter of Buttigieg but has been watching (and at times working in) politics for over a decade, I can tell you this - there is definitely a concerted effort to suppress Buttigieg's rise in the primary. I can't tell you who's orchestrating it, but it's coordinated. We would not otherwise be getting this constant onslaught of little soundbites and photos that counter the narrative his campaign is trying to craft for him. I think in the next several months we will learn more about whose undertaking this is. But it reminds me precisely of when the Obama campaign in 2007-2008 coordinated with LGBT influencers like AmericaBlog to get them to publish anti-Clinton information during the Dem primary so that LGBT people wouldn't vote for her.

Washington loves him because he supports business as usual. That's why the last debate he had so much time to talk. No political institution is holding him back. The only thing holding him back is his horrible record with black people. 

Edited by Bae
Let's take you to Chanel cuz' you look like hell.
  • Like 1