Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Taylor's masters and her upcoming performances?

SharkmanthaC

Featured Posts

SharkmanthaC

I admittingly don't know much about the music industry.  I know what is going on with Taylor is a complete mess and not right.  But if they were keeping her from performing at the AMAs (which I know has now been semi-resolved), how will she be able to perform her discography in her upcoming shows.  According to her website she has many shows in 2020.  Can she not perform any of her old music? Will these be strictly Lover shows?  I'm really interested in how that will affect things.  I guess she won't have a big tour until everything has been resolved legally.

she/her/hers

Pop Music
3 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

I admittingly don't know much about the music industry.  I know what is going on with Taylor is a complete mess and not right.  But if they were keeping her from performing at the AMAs (which I know has now been semi-resolved), how will she be able to perform her discography in her upcoming shows.  According to her website she has many shows in 2020.  Can she not perform any of her old music? Will these be strictly Lover shows?  I'm really interested in how that will affect things.  I guess she won't have a big tour until everything has been resolved legally.

she said in her initial statement all of her performances in 2020 are now a question mark due to this 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

From what i gather she can preform all her songs. No one can't stop her from it. She can preform whatever she wants at her shows. The only issue seems to be if it's a televised preformance that will end up on other platforms... I think her old record label must want some kind of fee over that,  some kind of revenue. 

SharkmanthaC
6 minutes ago, Haus Swiftie said:

she said in her initial statement all of her performances in 2020 are now a question mark due to this 

Apparently I missed that. :fail:

she/her/hers

Itsbrenda

She can legally perform her songs, she doesn’t need permission. I know it’s hard to deal with but... this was never an issue for her.. 

take what you want out of that fact 

SharkmanthaC
1 minute ago, LadyHaha said:

She can legally perform her songs, she doesn’t need permission. I know it’s hard to deal with but... this was never an issue for her.. 

So what's the issue then?

she/her/hers

This whole situation is very weird to me. The masters are the original recordings. So as long as she doesn't use the original backing vocals, instrumentals, etc she can perform them.

So, from what I understand nobody has the legal right to stop her performing. The issue with the AMAs is that they are being recorded and broadcast on TV, and then the performance will be on youtube, etc and Taylor has a legal agreement with her old label that she will not re-record her songs before November of next year. This probably was meant for actual re-recordings/re-issues of the audio itself, and the Scott were just being petty holding it against televised performances too.

This seems like a legal grey area to me, and Taylor probably could have argued in court that a TV performance isn't a re-recording etc etc, but I don't know that much about it either. I think there really isn't a lot of precedent for things like this because usually there isn't so much bad blood involved, like the people who own masters are typically an artists label and they would want those songs being performed because it makes them money too.

As for any concerts, from what I understand nobody can stop her singing any song she likes. If it's being broadcast in HQ somewhere, that's where issues arise. But I think they'll work that out between them.

andy232000
22 minutes ago, LadyHaha said:

Scooter and Scot were trying to get brave through a technicality. Them and Taylor know that she can perform anywhere and whenever she wants, but for this case the performance is gonna be broadcasted and posted on streaming platforms thus “counting as a re-release of the recording” . That on its own is a legal grey area that they tried to use against Taylor. 

rasclautmangos

What exactly were Scooter and Scott going to do if she performed her old songs before the social media rant? Sue her? 

I'm sure that lawsuit  could have been easily fought by her lawyers.

Silvestro Devacelli
43 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

So what's the issue then?

She cant upload them on on hee YouTube channel and use in her netflix documentary till 2020 i think ? But she can perform 

The issue isn’t about wether she can perform old songs or not, it’s about the recording and distribution of older songs in performances.

In Taylor’s original statement she said that BM/Scooter weren’t allowing the performance of old songs because they consider it to be a re-recording of her music before she is contractually allowed to in November 2020, and their follow up statement didn’t deny it either. This  was confirmed when they released their last statement saying they had reached a distribution agreement with the AMA that allowed her to perform. They’re considering it a re-recording becauase the show won’t be aired live in the East Coast and also because the performance will be available on streaming after, and the money generated from those streams or whatever goes to Taylor and not the label because of rights.

She is able to perform whatever she wants, but not distribute material not owned by her, which is why the Amazon performance, City of Lover concert, and Chinese concert a available online have been scrubbed of anything other than Lover songs.

But it’s all bullshit because the real reason they’re doing this is so she won’t re-record her music

52 minutes ago, LadyHaha said:

And this was never the issue

who will love me when the night is over

1 hour ago, rasclautmangos said:

What exactly were Scooter and Scott going to do if she performed her old songs before the social media rant? Sue her? 

I'm sure that lawsuit  could have been easily fought by her lawyers.

They could've hit her with a cease and desist 3 minutes before she's about to preform, leaving her legal team no time to get a judge to rule on it before the show

Luckystef8

So, to make everything clear and put it in simple terms, Scooter owns Taylor's masters which are the sound recordings that we listen to on CDs and streaming. Taylor can perform anything from her first six albums publicly as long as she is not playing the master recording and she is performing it live

Archived