Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Biden tells immigrant activist to vote for Trump

Featured Posts

Lion Heart

A seemingly frustrated Joe Biden advised a protester to "vote for Trump" Thursday after being confronted about the Obama administration’s record on deportations.

It happened at a South Carolina town hall event for the former vice president, before about 800 people at Lander University in Greenville.

Biden seemed to lose his cool when Carlos Rojas, an immigration activist with a group called Cosecha Movement, pointed out that more illegal immigrants were deported during Obama's first two years as president than during Trump’s.

“In 2008 I was a volunteer for Obama because I had hope and I believed in the promises to the immigrant community," Rojas said. "The fact is that over those eight years there were three million people who were deported and separated from their families."

“You should vote for Trump. You should vote for Trump,” Biden retorted, turning away from the man.

“No, I’m not going to do that, but I want to make sure that immigrant families … are not afraid and you have the power as a candidate to actually commit to stop all deportations from day one from executive action, and we want to hear you say that.”

“No matter what happens, if someone commits perjury, they should be deported,” Biden pressed.

In an effort to quell protesters, Biden promised: “There will be no family separations under my … as president of the United States.”

“That’s a lie,” someone injected.

“That’s a lie, you said?” Biden responded. And the crowd erupted once more.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-obama-deportation-vote-trump-immigration-protest-south-carolina-town-hall

• Shook 1
  • Sad 6

LilyLark

My politics are far more left than Biden, my mom's an immigrant, etc. and so I feel and understand some of the activist's points—but does he honestly think trying to get candidates to stop ALL deportation by executive action is a good tactic? ALL deportations—not just cut dramatically back, but he wants to stop every single deportations for good? Would that even be legal to do that by executive action? And if activists tried to lobby for a law to eliminate all deportations, it would....never pass. No one is ever going to agree to a law that states that people who are convicted of violent felonies should not be deported...not even Jayapal or Lee or Bernie. 

I get reaching for the sky, making demands, raising awareness, etc.—but there's a difference between advocating for change (which might be difficult and not even happen, but worth trying for) and advocating for something that is basically never, ever going to happen. I feel the same way about drug decriminalization. We absolutely should legalize weed and other drugs, but legalizing (or even decriminalizing) every single drug under the sun (like heroin) isn't going to work and I don't get why people waste the effort of advocating for it instead of something that is achievable (like expunging the record for pot convictions, legalizing pot, etc.).

I guess...I don't get wasting a chance to make a point, when you are given a platform, on something like "stop every single deportation."

Edited by LilyLark
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

En_Sabah_Nur
16 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

My politics are far more left than Biden, my mom's an immigrant, etc. and so I feel and understand some of the activist's points—but does he honestly think trying to get candidates to stop ALL deportation by executive action is a good tactic? ALL deportations—not just cut dramatically back, but he wants to stop every single deportations for good? Would that even be legal to do that by executive action? And if activists tried to lobby for a law to eliminate all deportations, it would....never pass. No one is ever going to agree to a law that states that people who are convicted of violent felonies should not be deported...not even Jayapal or Lee or Bernie. 

I get reaching for the sky, making demands, raising awareness, etc.—but there's a difference between advocating for change (which might be difficult and not even happen, but worth trying for) and advocating for something that is basically never, ever going to happen. I feel the same way about drug decriminalization. We absolutely should legalize weed and other drugs, but legalizing (or even decriminalizing) every single drug under the sun (like heroin) isn't going to work and I don't get why people waste the effort of advocating for it instead of something that is achievable (like expunging the record for pot convictions, legalizing pot, etc.).

I guess...I don't get wasting a chance to make a point, when you are given a platform, on something like "stop every single deportation."

Thank you!  THIS is exactly why Republicans love to say that all the Democrats want is OPEN-Borders!!!  Smh 

Egypt. W
  • Like 4

derpmonster
18 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Sis please. That's not even the important part of this exchange. Of course an activist is being inflammatory, what's new. The activist isn't running for president.

He does NOT have to stop all deportations but that doesn't justify this behavior nor the record deportations that happened under Obama. Obama's immigration policy was a MESS and needs to be called out especially since that's all that Joe bases his worth on.

Join my FB Gaga sh*tposting group: I'll Never Release LG6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/185450449037808/
  • Like 5

LilyLark
18 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

Sis please. That's not even the important part of this exchange. Of course an activist is being inflammatory, what's new. The activist isn't running for president.

He does NOT have to stop all deportations but that doesn't justify this behavior nor the record deportations that happened under Obama. Obama's immigration policy was a MESS and needs to be called out especially since that's all that Joe bases his worth on.

I'm just saying it's a dumb, ineffective stunt move to draw attention to his argument (and I agree with most of the activist's points that Obama's immigration policy was a mess). There are better ways to get attention, smarter ways to pull stunt moves, than say something so impossible that people then disregard your other valid points. And that activist knows that Castro, Jayapal, Sanders, etc. would never commit to it, either. This is the type of **** Faux, racist news seizes on to claim sh*t like "Democrats want to keep people with violent felonies in the country."  I guess I'm just jaded and have little patience at this point.

Edited by LilyLark
  • Thanks 2

RAMROD

Hey, Biden, Sir. I'm sorry but I don't do that dance. Don't circumcise my circumstance. Hey, I don't do that dance. I only do my own dance! :enigma:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ One ♥ Too ♥ Many ♥ Mornings ♥
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Born To Slay
1 hour ago, LilyLark said:

For the record, I think you could do that by executive order. Executive orders can be used to direct federal agencies to do essentially anything they want. So if you signed an EO directing federal agencies to stop deporting people, I think it’d be legal. Tho, perhaps very unpopular. 

• Like 2

Eighteen

ending ALL deportations? i... don't think so. i think there are some cases where people should be deported. i mean what?

and i also had qualms with obama's deportation policy, because he let some people who deserved to stay, from what i remember, slip through the cracks. for instance i remember vice reporting on a father who had been convicted of a DUI being deported for the offense even though the DUI happened 5 years prior to the deportation. obama was too strict (or perhaps the policy was too blanketed) idk i wasn't following it to a T at the time. 

and as far as trump's immigration policy as compared to obama, i think letting the pics of kids in cages do the talking will suffice -_-

Edited by Eighteen
  • Like 1

dit

Biden is off his rocker. Time to hang it up sir. He does not have the stamina to go up against Trump. He is popular tho but come debate time vs Trump he will be gobbled up (which is insane cuz Trump is a weak debater). Biden can hardly hold full cohesive sentences anymore. Not president material tbh. 

That said as @Eighteen said; no country can fully cut all deportations but I get what activists are talking about. I think they know it's a given that criminals will be deported. They are more so talking about families who are just laying low and working under minimum wage, people who have only committed small infractions, kids etc...

Faysalaaa

I understand asking for immigration reform and not doing what Trump is doing, but asking to end all deportation is not reasonable. Sorry I have to agree with Biden even though the way he says it is stupid

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 6

Economy
5 hours ago, Faysalaaa said:

I understand asking for immigration reform and not doing what Trump is doing, but asking to end all deportation is not reasonable. Sorry I have to agree with Biden even though the way he says it is stupid

Agreed. U cannot just have no standards and let anyone come in and stay

Theres Billions of people in poor 3rd world or developing Countries that could be tempted to overwelm the wealthier parts of the world if all rich nations simply stopped exercizing order such as deportations of illegals

i dont for one second tolerate the behavior of how they are treated in detentions or the seperation of families but in terms of the deportation itself, you cant just end them all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morphine Prince

Biden is so condescending. He won’t do anything while in office. A one term president for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lion Heart
11 hours ago, LilyLark said:

Oh I agree. Obviously no one is going to stop 'every single' deportation -that just wouldn't make sense. But I think Biden missed a good opportunity to explain what happened during the Obama administration regarding deportations, and to point out the 'real' deportation numbers i.e. actual interior deportation numbers vs. border apprehensions. 

He's given time after time to explain his positions and just... misses the mark completely. 

• Like 2
  • Shook 1