💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Silver Lining: ASIB likely to surpass TFM in Acclaim

JustJames

Featured Posts

JustJames

So, the sting is wearing off from the AOTY snub for ASIB, but leaving aside my feelings on how each era was handled re: singles selection/promo, Grammy submissions/nominations, etc., I just realized that the 2020 Grammy noms make the ASIB era just short of TFM in terms of success. So, congratulations miss Gaga, for a return to form and having an album nominated in its genre category and *3* different songs nominated  individually. Even more exciting as a sign of a re-peak in her career, these nominations also include *2* different GF song nominations, something she has never achieved before.

I hope that the trajectory of Joanne and ASIB will pave the way for her to turn back time now that she has reconciled the overexposure. In her first peak, she was one of the first popstars to earn the GP's attention and admiration for innovative songwriting, visuals, and fashion. In her second peak, she has joined the ranks of Whitney, Lauryn, and very few others who have earned the GP's attention and admiration for her vocals, cross-medium artistry (singing, acting). Let this next era combine it all because she is more than capable of bringing us new and exciting sounds packed with creative songwriting, power vocals, cohesive mix of visuals and fashion, and no limits to her exposure: film, radio, streaming... iconic, for sure. 

TL; DR SUMMARY

6/7 eligible albums have been recognized through the GF and/or Genre Album categories: The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way, Cheek to Cheek, Joanne, and A Star is Born (missing: ARTPOP)

2 albums have had 3 different songs recognized in the GF and/or Genre Song categories: A Star is Born (Shallow, ARUTW, INLA); The Fame Monster (Bad Romance, Telephone, Dance in the Dark)

2 albums have had 2 different songs recognized in the GF and/or Genre Song categories: Joanne (Million Reasons, Joanne); The Fame (Just Dance, Pokerface)

FULL BREAKDOWN

A Star is Born = 7 nominations, 2 wins (so far):

1 Genre Album Nom for A Star is Born (Compilation Soundtrack)

2 Unique/3 Total GF Song Noms for Shallow (2- Record of the Year, Song of the Year), Always Remember Us This Way (Song of the Year)

2 Unique/3 Total Genre Song Noms for I'll Never Love Again (Song Written for Visual Media), Shallow (2- Pop Duo/Collab, Song Written for Visual Media)

Joanne = 3 nominations, 1 win: 

1 Genre Album Nom for Joanne (Pop Vocal Album)

2 Unique Genre Song Noms for Million Reasons (Pop Solo), Joanne (Pop Solo)

Born This Way = 3 nominations, 0 wins: 

1 GF + 1 Genre Album Nom Born This Way (AOTY, Pop Vocal Album)

1 Unique Genre Song Nom for You And I (Pop Solo)

The Fame Monster = 6 nominations, 3 wins: 

1 GF + 1 Genre Album Nom for The Fame Monster (AOTY, Pop Vocal Album)

3 Unique Genre Song Noms for Bad Romance (Pop Solo), Telephone (Pop Duo/Collab), Dance in the Dark (Dance/Electronic Recording), 

1  Music Video Nom for Bad Romance (Best Music Video)

The Fame = 6 nominations, 2 wins:

1 GF + 1 Genre Album Nom for The Fame (AOTY, Dance/Electronic Album),

1 Unique/2 Total GF Song Noms for Pokerface (2- Record of the Year, Song of the Year);

2 Unique Genre Song Noms for Pokerface (Dance/Electronic Recording), Just Dance (Dance/Electronic Recording)

Pop Music

it's incredible but not THAT incredible in comparison to TFM 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

FfFfFfFF

I don't believe Grammys should count as ''aclaim'' though. Grammy's are not given nor based on critics.

For critical acclaim the best indicator is metacritic and there ASIB is second highest score after TFM.

HausOfMiklaus
3 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Grammy's are not given nor based on critics

No, but it is the result of votes from actual peers in the music industry. That holds weight. Plus it’s the most prestigious music award? It’s fair to class recognition as acclaim.

FfFfFfFF
2 minutes ago, HausOfMiklaus said:

No, but it is the result of votes from actual peers in the music industry. That holds weight. Plus it’s the most prestigious music award? It’s fair to class recognition as acclaim.

Peers of whom? The people voting the Grammys have mostly no qualified music knowledge and take the acclaim very little into account when they do nominations/ wins. Just look at the recently announced noms.

MessyTop

ASIB is a soundtrack. 

TFM is a pop culture phenomena that changed pop music.  

both fo then are amazing, but is like apples and oranges. Nothing  to do with be other 

TEANUS

These statistics are POWERFUL. FOUR albums with 2+ Grammy nominated songs

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

AlexanderMagno

You can't compare a soundtrack to an album that changed pop music (well, THE FAME did that, but TFM was like the heyday of that era).

At the end of the day, ASIB will always be a successful soundtrack. But that's it, a hit. and Gaga x Bradley chemistry was half the reason it was so successful. It had a huge impact in Gaga's career specifically, not really a worldwide phenomena. 

TFM was more than a hit, it was an impact for Gaga's career, for pop music, for fashion, for the charts. The Oscar for Shallow was an event, but the seven VMAs for Bad Romance were too incredible. Even the Grammys she won!

And it's unfair to compare ASIB's competition with TFM's competition. There are not a lot of popular soundtracks out there, while TFM had really big pop hits to rival with, and yet it managed to make a bigger impact. That alone should tell you which had the biggest acclaim.

Plus, The Fame Monster was nominated for Album of the Year, one year after it was released! That's right, it was released in November 2009, and yet it was so big and acclaimed it managed to be nominated in November 2010. ASIB was not able to do it, its impact was limited to Oscars' season.

I understand this thread though: it's not the first time I read TFM being somehow "underrated" around here. It's 10 years old, too old, and most of GGD members nowadays did not live that era, at least as a fan. Most fans are living the ASIB as the first time Gaga has a truly big moment, so TFM is starting to become History (and oh boy, believe me, 2018-2019 is nothing compared with 2009-2011 for Gaga). 

HausOfMiklaus
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The people voting the Grammys have mostly no qualified music knowledge

“The Recording Academy's voting membership is comprised solely of music creators, including artists, engineers, producers and songwriters.”

JustJames
On 11/21/2019 at 3:48 PM, AlexanderMagno said:

You can't compare a soundtrack to an album that changed pop music (well, THE FAME did that, but TFM was like the heyday of that era).

At the end of the day, ASIB will always be a successful soundtrack. But that's it, a hit. and Gaga x Bradley chemistry was half the reason it was so successful. It had a huge impact in Gaga's career specifically, not really a worldwide phenomena. 

TFM was more than a hit, it was an impact for Gaga's career, for pop music, for fashion, for the charts. The Oscar for Shallow was an event, but the seven VMAs for Bad Romance were too incredible. Even the Grammys she won!

And it's unfair to compare ASIB's competition with TFM's competition. There are not a lot of popular soundtracks out there, while TFM had really big pop hits to rival with, and yet it managed to make a bigger impact. That alone should tell you which had the biggest acclaim.

Plus, The Fame Monster was nominated for Album of the Year, one year after it was released! That's right, it was released in November 2009, and yet it was so big and acclaimed it managed to be nominated in November 2010. ASIB was not able to do it, its impact was limited to Oscars' season.

I understand this thread though: it's not the first time I read TFM being somehow "underrated" around here. It's 10 years old, too old, and most of GGD members nowadays did not live that era, at least as a fan. Most fans are living the ASIB as the first time Gaga has a truly big moment, so TFM is starting to become History (and oh boy, believe me, 2018-2019 is nothing compared with 2009-2011 for Gaga). 

Sorry for dragging this thread up a week late but am just noticing the replies now.

My post was in no way an opinion on Gaga's music or on her eras. I thought I made that clear in the first paragraph. I was merely trying to post something that indicates she is on a positive trajectory since I HAVE been around since her very first single was released, and after ARTPOP, it's been hard to watch her working so hard to reclaim reputation that did not deserve to be lost. 

TFM and BTW were released during the happiest periods of my life and her music helped to shape the experiences I had. I would never criticize her work from those albums, even if I question the eras in totality when it comes to the single choices, etc. I already posted several times how I feel she was robbed of multiple awards from both- especially ROTY for Bad Romance, and at least the chance to compete for SOTY/ROTY had Interscope submitted EOG/BTW for consideration. I was just trying to display the amazing run she has had over the last 10 years and to show that, whether is a soundtrack or not, ASIB has set her up to have an extemely well-received era that many of us never thought she would get the chance at again. That is all.

Archived