Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Canada May Have 4 Major Parties In Future As Greens Rise In Relevance!

Featured Posts

Economy

https://abacusdata.ca/whats-fueling-canadas-green-party/

Latest polls show the Green Party with a 12% voter support (a further 35% claim they would consider voting green), this is the first time polls are showing the party in the double digits as it seems to rise and gain seats with each election

At this time there are 3 major paties each well in their own political spectrum

Conservatives: Right Wing

Liberals: Centre-Wing

NDP: Left-Wing

As the Green party gradually rises in relevance with each election, Canada could soon find itself having 4 major relevant parties instead of 3.

The Green party in many respects is even further left than the NDP especially when it comes to environmental ambitions. 

Edited by Economy
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 2

FATCAT

Who's neck and neck? Is it possible that the split could cause a messy result? (like only 20% of the country voting for a leader?)

█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓ This püssy grabs back. █▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓

Economy
23 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

Who's neck and neck? Is it possible that the split could cause a messy result? (like only 20% of the country voting for a leader?)

Federally its always between the Liberals and Conservatives. The NDP never actually win. But they always hold enough seats to have a significant influence on legislation approvals especially if its a minority Government. 

In Provinces weve had some actual NDP wins. British Columbia right now is ruled by the NDP, Albertas last Government (surprisingly) was NDP and in my Province Ontario they beat the Liberals this time with the 2nd most votes to be the opposition to the Conservatives 

I think a 4th major party would be bad in the sense that a majority government would be nearly impossible and we might get more weird party coalitions

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

Economy
43 minutes ago, PartySick said:

When will Murica :vegas:

Im surprised the Libertarian party isnt bigger than it is

arent ppl who are more liberal on social issues but more conservative on economic matters the reason some voters who dont like Trumps social stances still compromised and voted for him anyway?

i feel like no one in America wants to consider anyone besides democrats and republicans cause since they always win they dont wanna waste a vote on a party that has no chance

but that way the cycle never breaks :neyde:

In my Province the party in Power right now the PC (Progressive Conservatives) kind of resemble the Libertarians btw. They are supposed to he forward thinking on social issues but right winged when it comes to economy and taxation/spending

although in practicle terms they still end up being slightly more conservative on social issues than the Liberals or NDP but certainly not like US Republicans for example

Edited by Economy

PartySick
2 hours ago, Economy said:

arent ppl who are more liberal on social issues but more conservative on economic matters the reason some voters who dont like Trumps social stances still compromised and voted for him anyway?

i feel like no one in America wants to consider anyone besides democrats and republicans cause since they always win they dont wanna waste a vote on a party that has no chance

I can honestly see a fissure in the GOP in the near-ish future. Sensible Republicans would become Libertarians (adopting a 21st century societal view while keeping conservative economic ideals) and the others would remain in the GOP and die off into irrelevancy with people like Trump, Mitch, Cruz, the folks at Fox News etc etc.

Later, I see the Democrats becoming the centrist party and the liberals moving to empower the Green party with people like Sanders and AOC.

Then we'd have four :gaycat:

The leftist Green party, the centrist Democrat party, the conservative Libertarian party, and the fringe/alt-right Republican party :toofunny:

In my Province the party in Power right now the PC (Progressive Conservatives) kind of resemble the Libertarians btw. They are supposed to he forward thinking on social issues but right winged when it comes to economy and taxation/spending

although in practicle terms they still end up being slightly more conservative on social issues than the Liberals or NDP but certainly not like US Republicans for example

Considering our Republican president consistently sides with right wing extremists, hate groups, and literal Nazis...I wish we had your conservatives :huntyga:

#KeepAmericaGreatAgain 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

gabeoz

but that way the cycle never breaks :neyde:

Welp it’s sorta complicated, you are correct in that people don’t want to vote outside of Democrat/Republican because it feels like a wasted vote, but people really don’t have many other alternatives. The next 2 largest parties in the US are the Green Party and the Libertarians. the left, progressive stance in the Green Party does appeal to many, but Green Party leaders can’t be quiet and end up pushing people away because of their outrageous beliefs (Hello, Jill Stein).

As for the Libertarian party, it’s definitely growing and managed to get some millions of votes in 2016, but it’s never going to take off. To put it simply, people really don’t like the libertarian party. They’re often viewed as discount Republicans (who are hated much more by the right than the left) and in a way, almost hypocrites (not my choice of words, but it’s used commonly for Libertarians). 

As for other choices, there really are none. There are parties that occasionally make news like the ‘tea party’, but this party and many other ones are usually fringe far-right groups. (Some left wing ones too, but not as common) 

And honestly id really hope American conservatives are not the same as Canadian conservatives, considering how far right leaning American politics already are, I’d be sorta scared.

Edited by gabeoz
  • Sad 1

gabeoz
6 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Considering our Republican president consistently sides with right wing extremists, hate groups, and literal Nazis...I wish we had your conservatives :huntyga:

To be fair, American politics are very right leaning to begin with, so bundle that with an already pretty far leaning president then you have yourself a hell of a ride :selena: 

• Sad 1

Economy
27 minutes ago, PartySick said:

I can honestly see a fissure in the GOP in the near-ish future. Sensible Republicans would become Libertarians (adopting a 21st century societal view while keeping conservative economic ideals) and the others would remain in the GOP and die off into irrelevancy with people like Trump, Mitch, Cruz, the folks at Fox News etc etc.

Later, I see the Democrats becoming the centrist party and the liberals moving to empower the Green party with people like Sanders and AOC.

Then we'd have four :gaycat:

The leftist Green party, the centrist Democrat party, the conservative Libertarian party, and the fringe/alt-right Republican party :toofunny:

I mean our conservatives are definitely more liberal than US conservatives thats for sure

the idea of private healthcare, or debating gay rights etc isnt even really a topic anymore generally speaking

But thats the Federal Conservatives. The provincial conservatives in my Province are called Progressive Conservatives because on social issues they aren’t supposed to be any less Liberal than other Liberal parties, their conservatism is supposed to be strictly economic 

but what im saying is that although they are generally pretty liberal in many social stances, they still end up having some stances where they still end up being more conservative than the Liberals or NDP

Like our Provinces Premier Dough Ford of the Progressive Conservatives, when he talks you can tell hes got some hints of social conservatism in him as well its not only economic conservatism even tho the party advertizes otherwise in their branding

but its still not social conservatism to the level of what a typical conservative party would be tho

FATCAT
7 minutes ago, Economy said:

@FATCAT i think u missed my response :sweat:

I did! :rip:

I was inindated with notifications this week, so it must have slid by :giveup:

That's actually very similar to what's happening in Britain atm. Apparently the various factions are split in a way that makes majority governance almost impossible. Everyone's for some kind of brexit, just not versions that are agreeable between them. It's sort of similar to the 50/50 split in America right now, we're slowly dipping and rising like a sin wave above and below the 50% line and are moving very incrementally. Hopefully, baring any 2020 nonsense, we'll be on track to have 8 years of another Dem and actually fix some of the issues that have been plaguing us since the 90's.

• Like 1

Economy
4 hours ago, FATCAT said:

I did! :rip:

I was inindated with notifications this week, so it must have slid by :giveup:

That's actually very similar to what's happening in Britain atm. Apparently the various factions are split in a way that makes majority governance almost impossible. Everyone's for some kind of brexit, just not versions that are agreeable between them. It's sort of similar to the 50/50 split in America right now, we're slowly dipping and rising like a sin wave above and below the 50% line and are moving very incrementally. Hopefully, baring any 2020 nonsense, we'll be on track to have 8 years of another Dem and actually fix some of the issues that have been plaguing us since the 90's.

What are ur major parties

FATCAT
11 minutes ago, Economy said:

What are ur major parties

Republicans & Democrats, that's pretty much it

Economy
5 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

Republicans & Democrats, that's pretty much it

So in Britain ur major parties have the same name as in the US?

FATCAT
1 hour ago, Economy said:

So in Britain ur major parties have the same name as in the US?

I'm in the US rip