Stefani Tee
politics

Bernie Sanders Only Major Candidate to Sit Out LGBTQ Events

Featured Posts

Gagaloo92

Progressive presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is the only frontrunner who will miss both events aimed at discussing LGBTQ equality and rights.

The rest of the frontrunners will be on hand Friday for an LGBTQ Presidential Forum, cosponsored by The Advocate in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. And, according to CNN's schedule for the event, all of the heavy-hitters other than Sanders will also attend the Human Rights Campaign/CNN’s LGBTQ Town Hall slated for October 10 in Los Angeles. The senator from Vermont’s team has cited “scheduling conflicts” for both events.

https://www.advocate.com/politics/2019/9/19/bernie-sanders-only-major-candidate-sit-out-both-lgbtq-events

Kinda surprised about this. He should try to make it to at least one of them imo. This is not exactly a good look and I really like and support him.. 

• LMAO 1
  • Sad 1

Economy

This doesn’t necessairily say anything about his level of support

campaign time schedules are insane and some stuff will innevitably be missed

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

***Piercing

Bernie  has been a supporter of the community for decades. I think that's more important than worrying about if he attends a few events or not. How many candidates only started supporting us after it became 'cool'? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 24

Brainiac

Bernie was on the record as supporting LGBTQ rights before ANYBODY else in politics today so let’s not...

• Like 17

Gagaloo92
Just now, Economy said:

This doesn’t necessairily say anything about his level of support

campaign time schedules are insane and some stuff will innevitably be missed

The bottom line is LGBTQ issues have not been brought up or asked of the candidates at all at any of the debates so far, with the exception of ONE about Tulsi Gabbard's apparent homophobic past. They've been completely ignored as if the LGBTQ community doesn't exist even after everything the Trump administration has done targeting the community. 

This is unacceptable and these events were made to make sure LGBTQ issues are represented. Not being in attendance is not okay to me because I actually care about this, and it is a bit of an insult imo idc how "insane" campaign schedules are. 

When literally all 9 of the other Top 10 Democratic candidates were able to make it work, he could have too. 

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2

Gagaloo92
4 minutes ago, ***Piercing said:

Bernie  has been a supporter of the community for decades. I think that's more important than worrying about if he attends a few events or not. How many candidates only started supporting us after it became 'cool'? 

4 minutes ago, Brainiac said:

Bernie was on the record as supporting LGBTQ rights before ANYBODY else in politics today so let’s not...

How is this questioning his record? We all know his record. 

That doesn't excuse or dismiss this though. He should be there, and it's perfectly fine to criticize him for this. 

EVERY candidate can and should be criticized. None are free from criticism, not even Bernie sorry. 

I like the guy and still support him, but don't agree with this. 

Edited by Gagaloo92
  • Like 1

LibraLove

His schedule is insane. More-so than any other candidate running. He has prior engagements. Candidates will have to miss events here and there. His record is strong and should not even be questioned because he missed these... I didn't see anything about Biden and Warren skipping the Climate Town Hall yesterday...

• Thanks 11

Lilmonzter

I don't think attending an event shows if you're pro or anti LGBT, but voting on issues like marriage equality etc does.

And he has always stood on the right side on those issues always.

Veni Vidi Amavi
  • Thanks 3

thehanyo
22 minutes ago, Brainiac said:

That's a lie. He didn't support marriage equality until 2009.

• LMAO 1
  • Sad 1

thehanyo
1 minute ago, Lilmonzter said:

I don't think attending an event shows if you're pro or anti LGBT, but voting on issues like marriage equality etc does.

And he has always stood on the right side on those issues always.

Wrong. He didn't start supporting marriage equality until 2009.

• Sad 1

corvus albus

Yeah thanks for the dogwhistle. Bernie doesn't have to prove that he supports the LGBT community like the other candidates who have remained silent for years or even decades. You're projecting.

Standing Still
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Economy
20 minutes ago, Gagaloo92 said:

The bottom line is LGBTQ issues have not been brought up or asked of the candidates at all at any of the debates so far, with the exception of ONE about Tulsi Gabbard's apparent homophobic past. They've been completely ignored as if the LGBTQ community doesn't exist even after everything the Trump administration has done targeting the community. 

This is unacceptable and these events were made to make sure LGBTQ issues are represented. Not being in attendance is not okay to me because I actually care about this, and it is a bit of an insult imo idc how "insane" campaign schedules are. 

When literally all 9 of the other Top 10 Democratic candidates were able to make it work, he could have too. 

None of us know why he didnt attend

to be honest i think its more than judgemental to be so upset and saying its unacceptable to a candidate that was among the first LGBT supporters out there in politics when u dont even know the details why he didn’t attend. Were not behind the scenes to see whats happening

busy schedules is just one possible explanation. For all u know ge has perfectly legitimate reasons wht he couldnt attend 

• Like 3

Marilyn MonHoe
4 minutes ago, thehanyo said:

Wrong. He didn't start supporting marriage equality until 2009.

He wasn’t vocal about marriage equality until 2009 but he has supported it for decades, longer than Hillary Clinton. He was among the minority of voters that voted against DOMA in 1996.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

Marilyn MonHoe

This is disappointing but he has always been a big supporter of the LGBTQ community longer than most politicians. Certainly longer than Hillary or Obama :shrug:

Edited by Marilyn MonHoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

***Piercing

Gaga missed pride in my state due to scheduling conflict. I guess she's homophobic now  :saladga:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 2
  • Thanks 8