💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

ARTPOP "Alter-Egos"?

seashellplay

Featured Posts

seashellplay

I saw a video on Government Gaga/Gypsy's channel and it went through all of the 'alter-egos' or really characters she plays but added my own sort of things, and did a born this way version, it sort of resembles Electra Heart in a sense

Aura: Boyfriend Killer (From Paparazzi and Telephone)

Venus: Aphrodite - This is really the face of ARTPOP, since it's sort of embodying the whole art culture schtick

G.U.Y.: G.U.Y. (That Girl Under You) - I don't know if this could be really considered a whole entirely different 'character', but several songs I feel fit this 'character'

Sexxx Dreams: That G.U.Y. - Self-Explanatory

Jewels N’ Drugs: Mary Jane Holland - I guess Mary Jane Holland's introduction?

MANiCURE:  G.U.Y. - Dependent on her partner, just the overall emphasis on her love for her partner makes me feel as it it's gut

ARTPOP: GAGA - This doesn't really get a character because it's sort of the song that embodies the entire record, "the color palette you choose", "a hybrid can withstand these things (ART+POP)" 

Swine: GAGA - This is about gaga being raped, a personal song to her

Donatella: The ‘Fresh’ Donatella Versace - Sort of a commentary on fashion culture, i feel this sort of character carries on throughout the entirety of ARTPOP due to the emphasis on fashion and how it's an art, versace called her the fresh donatella 

Fashion!: The ‘Fresh’ Donatella Versace - self explanatory

Mary Jane Holland: Mary Jane Holland - sort of this alter-egos climax?

Dope: Mary Jane Holland - their fall from grace

Gypsy: The Gypsy (Mary Jane Holland lives a new life...?) - the gypsy i feel represents gaga's career and life as a musician as a whole, she is literally a gypsy (please don't complain about slurs).

Applause: GAGA - this is a personal song about her fans, it doesn't fit a character

Marry The Night -Mother Monster (G.O.A.T.)  - i think all 'Mother Monster' songs are self-explanatory

Born This Way - Mother Monster (G.O.A.T.)

Government Hooker - Mary Magdalene - fits in with the religious hooker aesthetic

Judas - GAGA - this is a song about betrayal and it really comes across as personal 

Americano - GAGA - personal

Hair - The ‘Bad’ Kid - self explanatory

Scheiße - That G.U.Y. - i know this is very strange, but both are fixated on being powerful and strong, also both have 'german' :triggered:

Bloody Mary - Mary Magdalene - self explanatory

Bad Kids - The ‘Bad’ Kid - self explanatory

Highway Unicorn (Road To Love) - The Highway ‘Unicorn’, GAGA - personal

Heavy Metal Lover - The ‘Bad’ Kid - edgy, 'rebellious'

Electric Chapel - Mary Magdalene - self explanatory

Yoü And I - JO CALDERONE - this was harder to determine, but JO is the only really noteworthy 'character' in this song

The Edge Of Glory - Mother Monster

lost in limbo

okay wow I really like this! I thought I was the only one that thought about this sort of stuff for fun. These fit exactly how I view the songs :tony:

this is the state of grace, this is the worthwhile fight

lost in limbo
1 hour ago, SeashellGangsta said:

Judas - GAGA - this is a song about betrayal and it really comes across as personal 

oop I didn't notice this on first read but I think this is the only one I disagree with. It doesn't really feel personal to me and it definitely feels like a Mary Magdalene song. 

seashellplay
9 minutes ago, lost in limbo said:

oop I didn't notice this on first read but I think this is the only one I disagree with. It doesn't really feel personal to me and it definitely feels like a Mary Magdalene song. 

tbh yeah??? the religious aspects as well

Let’s have some fun, this list is sick … (tbh, it’s a fun list though) … neither here nor there, just rambling on a first read …

ARTPOP is precise … something about free radicals or outliers though always strikes as discordant or asymmetrical … off-balance (which isn’t bad, I just like stasis) but, so pairing Aphrodite with the Boyfriend Killer is a harmonious subplot between the single-song characters … The GAGA triad kind of expresses a subtle hierarchy of art (abstract, “ARTPOP”), pop (concrete, “Applause”), and kind of enigmatic mystery maybe (fourth wall-breaking personal narrative of an otherwise public persona, “Swine”)? Trines resonate throughout, which I enjoy for its own sort of symbolic presence.

Born This Way … kind of just riffing on a musical chairs remix here, but/and I do like the cast of characters — for the record.

“Gov’t Hooker” feels like it could be the G.U.Y character from, well, a “government hooker” standpoint of the girl under the institutional authority, i.e. a la, echoing …

“Judas” I can’t speak to Gaga’s personal life really, but that’s the one that always felt like Mary Magdalene, just comprehensively … but at the same time, it could be like the Venus personification from ARTPOP where Gaga really embodies that character in the retrospective of her own experience … if that makes any sense

“Americano” feels more like The Bad Kid, but that’s just because it feels like a more political / social statement record, and I can’t really say where that fits into Gaga’s personal narrative (unless she’s been engaged to a girl she met in east la under the radar … ?)

“Scheiße” — the German tandem nod … whew :applause: precise

“Highway Unicorn” — this character also kind of feels like it could be for “Americano,” in immediate retrospect … the “she don’t care if your papers or your love is the law” also just echoes Americano’s lyrical lens

“You and I” feels like it could be GAGA, especially with the “Daddy, and Nebraska and Jesus Christ” at the bridge, sounds characteristic personal … but also maybe Yuyi, but that’s more the video than the song … but just musing here

“The Edge of Glory” feels GAGA on account of her grandfather … but I never know

This cast of characters is … legit … put these kids in astrological hauses and you’ve got a proper galaxy in the works

seashellplay

Aphrodite  is obviously a Libra

Mother Monster/GAGA  is an angry Aries

The Gypsy  is a Sagittarius 

Yuyi  is Pisces

Donatella Versace  is Taurus

The G.U.Y.  is a Cancer

Mary Jane Holland  is an Aries

Mary Magdalene  is a Scoprio

The Bad Kid  is an Aquarius

PartySick
1 hour ago, lost in limbo said:

okay wow I really like this! I thought I was the only one that thought about this sort of stuff for fun. These fit exactly how I view the songs :tony:

Absolutely not! It's thinking like this that made me stay invested in Gaga's work :saira:

🖤

lost in limbo
27 minutes ago, SeashellGangsta said:

Mary Magdalene  is a Scoprio

As a Scorpio Sun, I endorse this mensage :vegas:

seashellplay
2 minutes ago, lost in limbo said:

As a Scorpio Sun, I endorse this message :vegas:

Hell yeah Scorpio :ally: I'm Capricorn -- Water-Earth Sign alliance :v:

lost in limbo
11 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Absolutely not! It's thinking like this that made me stay invested in Gaga's work :saira:

people (and by people I mean me and other Little Montrosities) forget just how indepth her discography is. ARTPOP in specific is such an interesting album (the title track shows that off really well and is probably one of her best songs lyrically)

I really love just doing random theories/connections about her songs, categorizing them, etc. 

I always forget that one of the reasons I fell in love with her is bc of her artistry but I always comeback to her bc of that :bradley: 

Archived