Stefani Tee
science

Other planets could have even more life than Earth does, scientists say

Featured Posts

Gimme More

Other worlds could be filled with even more flourishing life than we have on Earth, scientists have said.

The new study could have significant implications for the way we search for alien life. It also suggests that search could be more likely to find life on exoplanets than we had thought.

"This is a surprising conclusion", said lead researcher Dr Stephanie Olson. "It shows us that conditions on some exoplanets with favourable ocean circulation patterns could be better suited to support life that is more abundant or more active than life on Earth."

In recent years, scientists have found huge numbers of exoplanets, or worlds orbiting around stars that are not our own. But they are all very far away – impossible to reach even with the fastest space probes, and difficult even to see in any detail.

Researchers are working on a variety of ways to learn about those worlds, including telescopes that will be able to "sniff" their atmospheres and learn more about what the planets could be made of. But to understand the information that comes back, scientists need to build detailed and complicated models of how planets form and their climates work.

By combining those observations with those models, scientists aim to understand which of those distant planets could be home to alien life.

Now Dr Olson and her team have combined that work to understand the conditions on those exoplanets, which will help inform that search. The work was presented at the Goldschmidt Geochemistry Congress in Barcelona.

"NASA's search for life in the Universe is focused on so-called Habitable Zone planets, which are worlds that have the potential for liquid water oceans," she said. "But not all oceans are equally hospitable – and some oceans will be better places to live than others due to their global circulation patterns".

To conduct the study, the team made models of those planets using Nasa software, which allows them to simulate the conditions on those exoplanets. Using that Nasa technology, they were able to create models of the possible climates and oceans that could be on those exoplanets.

They found that many of them seemed like more hospitable and flourishing places for life than even Earth is. They looked at the process in Earth's oceans that allows life to take root down here – and considered whether that same process could be happening elsewhere in the universe.

"Life in Earth's oceans depends on upwelling (upward flow) which returns nutrients from the dark depths of the ocean to the sunlit portions of the ocean where photosynthetic life lives. More upwelling means more nutrient resupply, which means more biological activity.

"These are the conditions we need to look for on exoplanets".

By modelling a variety of different exoplanets, the researchers were able to think about which types would be most likely to develop and then sustain life. And they were surprised to find that Earth is not the best kind – and that there may be other worlds out there that are a far better place for life to begin.

"We have used an ocean circulation model to identify which planets will have the most efficient upwelling and thus offer particularly hospitable oceans," she said. "We found that higher atmospheric density, slower rotation rates, and the presence of continents all yield higher upwelling rates.

"A further implication is that Earth might not be optimally habitable – and life elsewhere may enjoy a planet that is even more hospitable than our own."

The work is important because our technology means that we are unable to see everything: there is almost certainly more life than we will ever be able to see, even with the most advanced telescopes and other equipment. That means scientists will need to optimise their search by looking at the planets where life will find it easiest to find a home.

"We expect oceans to be important in regulating some of the most compelling remotely detectable signs of life on habitable worlds, but our understanding of oceans beyond our solar system is currently very rudimentary," said Chris Reinhard, from the Georgia Institute of Technology, who wasn't involved in the study. "Dr Olson's work represents a significant and exciting step forward in our understanding of exoplanet oceanography."

The new research could now help inform how new telescopes are built, since we now know what kinds of planets will be best to search for. "Now we know what to look for, so we need to start looking," said Dr Olson.

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/alien-life-other-planets-worlds-exoplanets-earth-science-space-a9075316.html

people can take everything away from you, but they can never take away your truth...
  • Like 9
  • YAAAS 4
  • Love 2
  • Shook 2

hurricane326

Why go to Area 51 when you can travel 50 million light years ?

Honey, you got a big storm comin'
  • LMAO 2
  • YAAAS 1

hurricane326

I wonder if the intelligent life forms will be hot

Honey, you got a big storm comin'
  • LMAO 10
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1

kyanewest
5 minutes ago, Gimme More said:

Other worlds could be filled with even more flourishing life than we have on Earth, scientists have said.

5 minutes ago, Gimme More said:

"This is a surprising conclusion",

So surprising oh my god, I thought we were the only planet with life in it, even though galaxy is huge and we only discovered 1% of it and there's a possibility of infinite amount of galaxies but I really really thought we were the chosen one, special creatures that were chosen by the universe to live on this tiny planet called Earth, very surprising. 

The crowds are gone. And it's time to wash out the blonde.
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Gimme More
1 minute ago, kyanewest said:

So surprising oh my god, I thought we were the only planet with life in it, even though galaxy is huge and we only discovered 1% of it and there's a possibility of infinite amount of galaxies but I really really thought we were the chosen one, special creatures that were chosen by the universe to live on this tiny planet called Earth, very surprising. 

irk :ladyhaha: i don't see how it is 'surprising'

people can take everything away from you, but they can never take away your truth...
  • LMAO 2
  • Thanks 1

kyanewest
13 minutes ago, Gimme More said:

"A further implication is that Earth might not be optimally habitable – and life elsewhere may enjoy a planet that is even more hospitable than our own."

Earth is not habitable because we destroyed it but I think it's a good idea to find somewhere else more hospitable than Earth and continue what we've been doing here on our planet. If there are a lot of planets that are habitable we could move around planets to planets every century forever. Best option for us human beings, the only creatures that self destruct 

• Thanks 2

kyanewest
17 minutes ago, Gimme More said:

By combining those observations with those models, scientists aim to understand which of those distant planets could be home to alien life.

I really wonder what they'll do when they'll find alien... This will be a surprising peaceful discovery just like when Columbus discovered America, exciting...

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

Economy

There's still an awful amount of things in our favour on earth tho

- goldilocks zone

- ozone

- a strong magnetic field for a planet of our size which protects us from solar winds that would otherwise destroy DNA

- gas giants that absorb the majority of large asteroids

- a part of the galaxy that's ideal for life to be relatively undisturbed without black holes, magnetars, or large concentration of large starts going nova to kill us

I could go on and on.... Given the many billions of planets im certain there's more life out there

But it's probably quite rare... Like a very small fraction of planets having any life and even even smaller fraction having intelligent life

@Kanye West @Gimme More

And I'm super Into space. I have been since I was 6 years old and always keep up with the latest developments

Truth is there's no concensus on this stuff... Different groups of researchers and different groups of scientists have different opinions, theories and conclusions about how frequent and common other life may be

While very few scientists think we're alone, just how many neighbors we have on our galaxy is open to debate

Edit: One major thing is that many scientists believe is that while other types of life like silicon based may be possible, Carbon based life like us may be the most common because carbon based life more easily goes thru mutations allowing for evolution more easily

Carbon based life like us would require a planet with a lot of the same features that earth has and a planet having all of those simultaneously by coincidence would be quite rare

So I myself side with scientists that think life may actually be quite rare tho I'm sure we're not completely alone nevertheless even just in our own galaxy nevermind the while universe.

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Gimme More

@Economy love hearing your views! so do you think there is life on other planets or?

Economy
Just now, Gimme More said:

@Economy love hearing your views! so do you think there is life on other planets or?

I actually just edited my post to include more but u wouldn't have seen it

Basically for the reasons I mentioned carbon based life like us would probably be the most common (tho other types like silicon life are also theoretically possible to exist elsewhere but carbon would be the easiest to form)

Carbon based life like us would need another planet with simmilar features like earth including an ozone layer, a strong magnetic field, stable orbit, and having gas giants that absorb most dangerous asteroids helps too

Earth has a lot of critical features that made life as we know it possible and having all these combinations simultaneously would be rare

Also many scientists believe goldilocks zones aren't just a solar thing but also a galactic thing. Many parts of the galaxy are simply too chaotic

Between black holes affecting orbits, high concentration of stars producing too much radiation and dangerous objects like magnetars putting out rediculous amounts of magnetic fields that rip atoms apart, only a small portion of the galaxy is actually relatively stable. And we happen to be in a very stable part of the galaxy all things considered... Our star the sun is also more stable than many types of stars... Many stars go thru irratic cycles that would make a stable climate impossible

Do I think there's other life? Yes! There's so many billions of planets that even if only 1 in 1 billion planets had life, there would still be multiple planets with life in our galaxy alone

Even if on average only 1 in 10 galaxies had life that would still be billions of species in the observable universe alone

I dont believe it's realistic to think with such vastness we could possibly be alone

But I also think life is rare (as a percentage of planets with any life), and intelligent life even more rare... I think to find anything we will have to really narrow down our searches to very specific planets and solar systems and even then we may have to go thru many before we find one that had life :shrug:

• Thanks 2

Nightwing

I don't doubt it. Surely there's a planet out there where conditions lead to more flourishing life forms.

We can only intelligently comprehend what we know of our own planet. There could be other elements, other factors that are completely unknown to us, but help facilitate life on another planet and make it more sustainable than the conditions we have here on Earth.

Economy
18 hours ago, Nightwing said:

I don't doubt it. Surely there's a planet out there where conditions lead to more flourishing life forms.

We can only intelligently comprehend what we know of our own planet. There could be other elements, other factors that are completely unknown to us, but help facilitate life on another planet and make it more sustainable than the conditions we have here on Earth.

Elements doubtful. The periodic table already goes from elements with 1 electron all the way up to 103 with man made elements in labs going even higher but they become increasingly unstable the higher they go

It's safe to say we know all the elements there are. At least stable ones that would allow for life anyway

Compounds on the other hand you never know. There's always new ones to be discovered there

Brie Candy

such an interesting reading

Edited by Brie Candy