Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
science

The amazon fires are catastrophic, general deforestation is much worse

Featured Posts

Robagaga

CONTROVERSIAL POST ABOUT THE AMAZON FIRES

But please read if you want actual information and not social media hyperbole.

Disclosure: Original title was Amazon fires aren’t important. That title was sensationalized and I apologize 

I want to preface this by saying that I am a fervent environmentalist but I am also someone who values the truth. Please take what I am saying not as anti environmentalism but as anti misinformation.

As everyone else probably has noticed posts about the Amazon fires have become the new thing everyone is sharing on facebook or other social medias.

My first reaction as most yours must have been was horror, how could this be happening and why didn't I know before?
However I have after research realised that a lot of the social media frenzy about the amazon is at best misinformed and at worst actually damaging the environmentalist movement.

Number 1: Fake pictures. 
First thing that caught my eye was how many pictures associated with the amazon fires were actually often not of the amazon and not even of 2019. The issue is that these pictures were being promoted by hugely influential people such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Madonna or even the rainforest trust.

Why is this dangerous?

You might think hey the pictures might not be of now but they illustrate well why this is a problem we should tackle. 
The main reason I disagree with this is that by promoting fake pictures we feed into the anti environmentalist message that environmental issues are fake or exagerrated. The spread of fake pictures has already started to have been used by right wing media such as Breitbart of Fox News as another example of phoney environmentalism. 
https://www.breitbart.com/…/amazon-fires-how-celebrities-a…/

Number 2: Is it really that bad???
Here is probably the most controversial part of my post, but the amazon fires aren't actually as big of a disaster as many people are saying. 
Many posts will make you believe that these fires are crazy and nothing of this scale has ever happened before. 
August-September is the amazons dry season and wildfires are common in this period.
A stat often shared is that the amount of fire has increased by 85% since 2013, while that is true it is also incredibly misleading since that stat only takes into account fires from 2013 to 2019.
Once you look at the bigger picture you discover that the amount of fires this year in the Amazon have actually been slightly below average. 
My source? 
NASA and their AQUA satellite.
Check out their full report on the fires here:
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im…/145464/fires-in-brazil

After reading this you might think, shit well nothing is wrong is it? What was all this fuss about? 
Well yes it is true that the social media frenzy over the fires is unwarranted there is a calamity facing the amazon that is much worse and disastrous than the fires. 
Deforestation. However as deforestation isn't as dramatic as fires it doesn't get the social media hype it deserves. 
The amount of trees being cut down in Brazil every day is staggering. 
The number 700000 square kilometers of forest cut down a month is so huge that it is hard to fathom. 
If you want to realize the true scale of the disaster this is a great tool as its an interactive map that will show how much of the amazon is cut down on top of a map of your hometown. 
It really helps nail the message in. 
https://amazondeforestation.io/

What makes this worse is that Brazil's new far right president has cut back regulations which will allow deforestation to run even more rampant than it already has. 
2019 could be by far the worst year for deforestation in the Amazon. 
2019 will by far not be the worst year for fires in the amazon.

What can we do???? 
Pressure your governments to sanction Brazil's reckless deforestation.

Support anti deforestation charities such as the rainforest action network which helps protect rainforests around the world:
https://www.ran.org/mission-and-values/
And finally stop talking about the fires and start talking about the real crisis at hand: Deforestation.

I would love to have an open discussion with you guys about this, please comment below your thoughts!

Edited by Robagaga
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 2
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

Morphine Prince

Aren’t they saying these are man-made fires? Not just natural wildfires.

Having that man as president doesn’t help either. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Bio

These fires are not natural fires, I live here, I know what's happening. 

• Like 16
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 3

Oshawott

Well at least the "it's due to global warming!!!!" crowd can't blame climate change this time.  :oops:

Robagaga
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

Aren’t they saying these are man-made fires? Not just natural wildfires.

Having that man as president doesn’t help either. 

The stats remain the same, Brazil didn't purposefully start to burn the amazon in 2019.

This has been going on for decades. 

Fires aren't the issue. Deforestation is

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, Robagaga said:

The stats remain the same, Brazil didn't purposefully start to burn the amazon in 2019.

Deforestation caused by..... man made fires. 

I’m sure that’s very important. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Miracle
5 minutes ago, Bio said:

That's ...extremely bad but good that it's only man's malice

Edited by Miracle

Edonis

I read somewhere that the fires were man-made with the intention of clearing trees at a much faster rate than typical deforestation measures? That's why there is so much outcry; not because it's a natural event but because they are man-made. I'm sure there are some people who took it as due to just the environment alone, but I don't think that's where much of the discourse started initially. 

Anyways, I agree that deforestation has been an issue in the Amazon and it's only going to get worse unless there is some sort of intervention. I mean, this was a hot topic back when I took my senior seminar course in undergrad, and that was in 2015. Here it is in 2019 and it's still horrible.

Edited by Edonis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Robagaga
1 minute ago, Bio said:

Never said the fires weren't natural. 

Just said the fires aren't the issue. 

Rampant deforestation is. By misdirecting our outrage we feed into the far right's anti environmental message. 

I have a feeling you might've not fully read my post.

Please do before you get pissed hahaha. Not at all coming from an anti environmentalist pov. 

I've participated in extinction rebellion protests. 

I just care about the truth. 

Spoiler

Also just want to say that I always find it funny that people use the "I LIVE HERE" as a source. I live in France yet I know nothing about the french region of Aix en Provence. Living somewhere doesn't mean you can't be misinformed about what's going on lol. 

1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

Deforestation caused by..... man made fires. 

I’m sure that’s very important. 

Whilst yes some of the deforestation is caused by fires,

a vast majority of it is caused by land clearing for farming. 

Fires aren't the issue. 

Rampant deforestation is

hurricane326

"What makes this worse is that Brazil's new far right president has cut back regulations which will allow deforestation to run even more rampant than it already has. "

Jair Bolsonaro is evil incarnate. He doesn't give two sh!ts about anyone who isn't like him

Edited by hurricane326
Honey, you got a big storm comin'
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Bio
5 minutes ago, Robagaga said:

Why are you suggesting these two are unrelated? These fires are a way of deforestation. Did you know that earlier this year INEP (the research institute that's responsible for calculating deforestation data in Brazil) put out concerning numbers about the Amazon's deforestation and president Bolsonaro simply FIRED him? Because according to him those data make Brazil look bad to the rest of the world? And then he put a military officer in his place? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

hurricane326
2 minutes ago, Robagaga said:

Rampant deforestation is. By misdirecting our outrage we feed into the far right's anti environmental message. 

Please do before you get pissed hahaha. Not at all coming from an anti environmentalist pov. 

Reveal hidden contents

Also just want to say that I always find it funny that people use the "I LIVE HERE" as a source. I live in France yet I know nothing about the french region of Aix en Provence. Living somewhere doesn't mean you can't be misinformed about what's going on lol. 

Fires aren't the issue. 

Rampant deforestation is

I thought you lived in Spain? Wouldn't someone who lives in Brazil know first hand the experience? Not being rude just saying

Honey, you got a big storm comin'

Morphine Prince
4 minutes ago, Robagaga said:

Reveal hidden contents

Fires aren't the issue. 

Rampant deforestation is

These fires are a form of deforestation.

Endorsed by the government. 

• Like 1

Robagaga
Just now, Bio said:

Why are you suggesting these two are unrelated? These fires are a way of deforestation. Did you know that earlier this year INEP (the research institute that's responsible for calculating deforestation data in Brazil) put out concerning numbers about the Amazon's deforestation and president Bolsonaro simply FIRED him? Because according to him those data make Brazil look bad to the rest of the world? And then he put a military officer in his place? 

Trust me. I DESPISE Bolsonaro excessively and already knew about him firing the INEP leader. 

What I point out in my post is that the social media frenzy about fires is unwarranted. I'm not saying the fires are unrelated to deforestation. I'm just saying the link is overexagerrated. 

Truth matters. 

These fires aren't out of the ordinary. 

What is grossly out of the ordinary is the brutal deforestation of the amazon and the deregulation of deforestation laws by Bolsonaro and his cronies. 

Robagaga
3 minutes ago, hurricane326 said:

I thought you lived in Spain? Wouldn't someone who lives in Brazil know first hand the experience? Not being rude just saying

Yup live in Spain, doesn't change the fact that just living somewhere doesn't make you an expert on a subject. 

Millions of americans claim racism isn't real. Them living in America doesn't somehow make their claims any more valid or anymore true.