Stefani Tee
other

Amazon Rain Forest Burning for Three Weeks now; Gets Little Media Coverage

Featured Posts

Snejana
8 hours ago, Economy said:

I'm just saying the posts about this particular fire are being exaggerated and dramatic

sis i- getting upset and scared over a criminal fire burning the amazon altogether with it's people it's not being dramatic lmao we know the forest won't be gone in a month but its very unlikely that the portion lost in this fire will be restored and Rondonia's population is literally suffocating bc of the toxic smoke

even the """"""small fraction"""""  of rainforest lost during this fire was enough to alter the climate in Sao Paulo, a state that's more than 2000km away from Rondonia where all of this is happening

Edited by Snejana
  • Like 1

Maxxie69
13 hours ago, Chic said:

Aren’t fires the best thing for a forest?

Yeah, they are, when they are of natural occurrence and small scale, the fire that's going on in the Amazon right now has human impact and is covering as much area as several European countries put together, plus, rainforests are not as resistant to fires as regular forests are, and the soil in the Amazon is very little fertile, it doesn't recover from natural fires easily even so from human-made apocalyptic-scaled fires, the Amazon also holds together millions of tons of CO2 from the atmosphere, it's one of the main CO2 holders of the world, and it's all being liberated into the atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gagasrat
5 hours ago, Economy said:

Ok "we are on the verge of loosing it" is very dramatic

Canada's Boreal Forest gets multiple major fires every year that sometimes last several weeks on the driest summers and doesn't get reported much on either... Why? Cuz it's normal

Forest fires are a very normal thing. Tho yes human activity has increased forest fires to a greater degree than ideal, but it's being blown out of proportion

Ok so, this post is ignorant. So let me educate you a bit. The Amazon Rainforest also known as the planets "lungs" produces 20% of the WORLD'S oxygen. If this fire is not detained or put under control and it burns beyond what can be fixed, what was once the Amazon Rainforest will turn into a savannah. So now instead of emitting 20% of oxygen, these plains will begin to produce Carbon which is the number one contributor to climate change. (RIP) 

You also cannot compare the boreal forest to the amazon rainforest. The climate between Canada and Brazil are dramatically different. If we lose the Amazon Rainforest, we WILL feel the effects. Nothing is being blown out of proportion. To add, The Amazon Rainforest is home to 10% of the worlds species, while the Boreal Forest is relatively low on biodiversity with a lot less. 

We need to protect the Amazon. End of story.

(The Geography Major just jumped out :ladyhaha:)

Edited by gagasrat
#BuyTheCureOniTunes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Andreu
4 minutes ago, gagasrat said:

Ok so, this post is ignorant. So let me educate you a bit. The Amazon Rainforest also known as the planets "lungs" produces 20% of the WORLD'S oxygen. If this fire is not detained or put under control and it burns beyond what can be fixed, what was once the Amazon Rainforest will turn into a savannah. So now instead of emitting 20% of oxygen, these plains will begin to produce Carbon which is the number one contributor to climate change. (RIP) 

You also cannot compare the boreal forest to the amazon rainforest. The climate between Canada and Brazil are dramatically different. If we lose the Amazon Rainforest, we WILL feel the effects. Nothing is being blown out of proportion. To add, The Amazon Rainforest is home to 10% of the worlds species, while the Boreal Forest is relatively low on biodiversity with a lot less. 

Spill the facts :golfclap:

soundcloud.com/andreusongs

Economy
7 hours ago, gagasrat said:

I did not say the Boreal Forest was as important as the Amazon's. If u read past comments I made I already mentioned stuff like it's diversity that ur apparently trying to teach me. I was merely making a contrast of how forest fires happen a lot

All I was saying is that it was being blown out if proportion that's all

Secondly if u wanna get cocky with statements like "let me educated you" and "ignorant post" how about I get right back at you

Your statement about Amazon producing 20% of earth's oxygen is a myth that's just flat out wrong and been scientifically debunked in recent years

Recent scientific research has shown that while the Amazon forest produces a huge amount of oxygen (yes about 20%) it also consumes almost everything it produces. It's trees at night and huge amount of wild life consume so much in fact that the Amazon forest has almost no net positive impact on Earth's oxygen supply. The amazons big oxygen production is basically just for itself

The true lungs of earth's oxygen is the diatoms and other types of plankton in the oceans. The Amazon river run offs actually feed one of the major plankton blooms tho and in that sense the Amazon forest plays an indirect role but even then its not 20%

I'm not as ignorant on this stuff as u wanna imply :neyde:

@Andreu the more detailed facts :neyde:

Edited by Economy
  • Sad 1

Oshawott

That post is so exaggerated; the whole Amazon isn't going to burn down. People really don't understand the scope of just how large that rainforest is. :air:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Economy
Just now, Oshawott said:

That post is so exaggerated; the whole Amazon isn't going to burn down. People really don't understand the scope of just how large that rainforest is. :air:

That's what I was trying to say and I got called ignorant

I never said it wasn't a big deal. What I don't like is exxagerations

The truth should be presented accurately not with fear mongering to get it's point across. I hate that. It's so political like

• Thanks 1

Snejana
3 hours ago, Maxxie69 said:

Yeah, they are, when they are of natural occurrence and small scale, the fire that's going on in the Amazon right now has human impact and is covering as much area as several European countries put together, plus, rainforests are not as resistant to fires as regular forests are, and the soil in the Amazon is very little fertile, it doesn't recover from natural fires easily even so from human-made apocalyptic-scaled fires, the Amazon also holds together millions of tons of CO2 from the atmosphere, it's one of the main CO2 holders of the world, and it's all being liberated into the atmosphere.

this!!!! and it will also disrupt the flying rivers which may cause severe draughts in states like minas gerais

Economy
1 hour ago, Andreu said:

Spill the facts :golfclap:

Read my reply above 

He's responding to stuff that had nothing to do with the point I was saying

ZacharyMark

Can't believe that forest isn't completely gone yet. I remember all the fundraising my schools did back in elementary school for it.

• Like 1

Economy
3 hours ago, ZacharyMark said:

Can't believe that forest isn't completely gone yet. I remember all the fundraising my schools did back in elementary school for it.

It's a pitty it's being treated the way it is tbh

But it's also huge. It's not something that disappears from one year to the next.

It's the most rich forest in the world tho should be treated with more care but business as usual :triggered:

Economy
9 hours ago, Maxxie69 said:

I thought fires fertilized the land because of the ash and that it was one of the ways to allow newer plants and trees to replace old ones :huh:

Correct me if I'm wrong tho

And obviously u never want a fire THIS large either

Economy

Found this

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/world/1168299/amazon-rainforest-fire-how-did-amazon-fires-start-cause-deforestation-how-long-fire/amp

This year there have been 72,000 fires in the Amazon forest so far vs 40,000 last year. That's nearly double :duck:

It doesn't say how much land burned relative to last year tho. Since some fires are larger than others, the total number alone only tells u so much

Gov Hooka

people in this thread really don't realize that a fire of this scale is UNHEARD of in a rainforest especially the Amazon.... This is alarming and more people should be freaking out. Deforestation rates have accelerated 80% this year alone compared to last year thanks to Bolsonaro. We're all ****ed.

• Sad 1

Economy
6 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

people in this thread really don't realize that a fire of this scale is UNHEARD of in a rainforest especially the Amazon.... This is alarming and more people should be freaking out. Deforestation rates have accelerated 80% this year alone compared to last year thanks to Bolsonaro. We're all ****ed.

I don't think anyone is saying it's no big deal tho. I literally didn't read any comment saying this is ok

All some of us are saying is that the wording is a bit dramatic

If someone doesn't know the details of the fire or the size is the Amazon, it literally makes it sound and implies that the entire forest is about to be gone

On my part I was never saying it wasn't a big issue. I know a lot of ecology and I'm perfectly fully aware that the Amazon forest is single handedly the most important forest in the world and that's it's being threatned for quite some time and that it's loss would affect the climate quite a bit not to mention there's countless species that would go extinct as they only exist in that forest

But I also don't like dramatizations. It actually ends up taking away from the seriousness of it when ppl who don't take this stuff as seriously end up seeing environmentalists as fear mongers

If we can criticize conservatives when they dramatize or exxagerate, we shouldn't be doing the same... Just present the truth as it is

Edited by Economy