Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

ARTPOP Era: Was Goddess Of Love & Aphrodite the same?

Smother Em Eh

Was the Goddess Of Love & Aphrodite the same?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Were they the same?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe so, but Gaga didn’t say otherwise

Featured Posts

Sneaky Oliver
11 minutes ago, Smother Em Eh said:

Ok, so it makes sense, especially considering the Venus single covers were blonde. 

But in the song Venus she does say, “Aphrodite lady, Sea Shell bikini, garden panty” which she wore for Applause. But why not wear the outfit of what you describe in the song in the video? (Venus) 

It doesn’t make much sense to me. It’s rather interesting though. 

Because the seashell bikini curly wig was the first image she had in mind for that character then she wanted to separate the already-used look from the fresh look she created for the Venus single mini-era :shrug: that’s what I think 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Emigrante

It's a different interpretations of the same character. :koons:

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

DonatellaPop
1 hour ago, MadeInManu said:

This was a mess :cryga:

*serve. there, fixed it for ya :ally:

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

SeasonOfTheWitch
1 hour ago, Gagarka said:

Guys, I too shiny new and too poorly know English, so poorly navigate here, but simply write that leaked a small slice of unreleased song from BTW. I think she'll be on Twitter or here soon.

Can you post a link? 

MadeInManu
On 8/20/2019 at 12:16 AM, Gagarka said:

Guys, I too shiny new and too poorly know English, so poorly navigate here, but simply write that leaked a small slice of unreleased song from BTW. I think she'll be on Twitter or here soon.

Who could you knew it? :wtfga:

V e n u s

I feel like Gaga was trying to reference the duality of Aphrodite in ancient mythology. Based on myths, there were two Aphrodites. There was Aphrodite Urania (Aphrodite of the Heavens) and Aphrodite Pandemos (Aphrodite of the People).

Aphrodite Urania was the one who was concerned with deep and true love while Aphrodite Pandemos was lustful and promiscuous.

I feel like the blonde wig is Aphrodite Urania cause Gaga is solemn when wearing it. When wearing the brunette wig, she is Pandemos because she acts with a carefree attitude and she's much more playful.

6 hours ago, V e n u s said:

I feel like Gaga was trying to reference the duality of Aphrodite in ancient mythology. Based on myths, there were two Aphrodites. There was Aphrodite Urania (Aphrodite of the Heavens) and Aphrodite Pandemos (Aphrodite of the People).

Aphrodite Urania was the one who was concerned with deep and true love while Aphrodite Pandemos was lustful and promiscuous.

I feel like the blonde wig is Aphrodite Urania cause Gaga is solemn when wearing it. When wearing the brunette wig, she is Pandemos because she acts with a carefree attitude and she's much more playful.

This is astute (and again, that seminal hybrid) … so, then where / how does “Venus” integrate into the narrative / personification (not being sarcastic, honest question) … do you think it plays more into the planetary (take me to your planet) element of a distant utopia, or more toward the Renaissance motif (Boticelli’s “Birth of,” more abstractly, ARTPOP being an artistic revolution (thus, Renaissance of sorts), Gaga representing an Italian manifestation of the aforementioned Goddess(es) of Love (thus, the Roman mythological nomination)) …

Fascinating central POV, just curious on the periphery

Battle 4 Ur Life

YAS. the alter-ego of the ARTPOP era.

in the first appearances she is being embodied into human form. very ethereal, unfazed by mostly everything, very singular movements (hence the Abrahmovic method) and dismissive of morals standards (flashing the furry Va-J-J).

and in the artRave she is fully humanized, sexier, more empowered and takes over her role of the perfect Pop Princess!

#ICONIC

tumblr_inline_ovpgazqy4b1upf5e2_540.gif

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

V e n u s
15 hours ago, bxr said:

This is astute (and again, that seminal hybrid) … so, then where / how does “Venus” integrate into the narrative / personification (not being sarcastic, honest question) … do you think it plays more into the planetary (take me to your planet) element of a distant utopia, or more toward the Renaissance motif (Boticelli’s “Birth of,” more abstractly, ARTPOP being an artistic revolution (thus, Renaissance of sorts), Gaga representing an Italian manifestation of the aforementioned Goddess(es) of Love (thus, the Roman mythological nomination)) …

Fascinating central POV, just curious on the periphery

Before everything I just wanna say that I love that you're asking these questions. :flutter: I'm obsessed with the Aphrodite/Venus persona and I enjoy analyzing it.

back to the topic... :teehee:

I don't think Gaga tried to differentiate Venus from Aphrodite. I just think she likes both names so much that she can't stick to just using the Greek or Roman name of the goddess.

To me, Gaga didn't mean for the portrayal of Venus/Aphrodite to have a set theme. I feel like, Venus/Aphrodite can either be space themed or Renaissance themed based on whatever Gaga wanted.

Is Venus/Aphrodite a symbol of an art revolution or is it just Gaga roleplaying as a deity? My answer to that is that I think it's both. Jeff Koons explained that Gaga's statue on the ARTPOP cover is Gaga as a 'Venus on a shell'. I interpret the placement of the 'Gazing Ball' between Gaga's legs as a symbolism of the Birth of ARTPOP. Piecing these interpretations together creates a concept that illustrates the Venus/Aphrodite persona as a role Gaga filled for this era in able to propagate an Artistic Revolution Through the Potential of Pop.

Edit:

This one tweet of Gaga kinda supports my interpretation:

not a french fry

When she wears The poofy white wig, she looks like Kathleen, my sleep paralysis demon.

social experiment gone wrong

A Hybrid
On 8/20/2019 at 1:18 AM, Sneaky Oliver said:

Hi Gaga, please release LG6 asap 

If you said Beyonce people would’ve been MAD :trollga:

No family’s safe when I sashay

5 hours ago, V e n u s said:

Before everything I just wanna say that I love that you're asking these questions. :flutter: I'm obsessed with the Aphrodite/Venus persona and I enjoy analyzing it.

back to the topic... :teehee:

I don't think Gaga tried to differentiate Venus from Aphrodite. I just think she likes both names so much that she can't stick to just using the Greek or Roman name of the goddess.

To me, Gaga didn't mean for the portrayal of Venus/Aphrodite to have a set theme. I feel like, Venus/Aphrodite can either be space themed or Renaissance themed based on whatever Gaga wanted.

Ah, I’m just curious … pop artistry (as far as culture as the canvas … people as the palette … moods / mentalities / trajectories / etc. as the paint / rhythm / melody / etc.) is kind of a modern mythology; and the panorama of mythology, of course, is wildly fascinating and always a salient source for conversation

Spoiler

Slightly random aside, but Inanna is a Sumerian goddess closely aligned with Venus/Aphrodite … so, if you’re into Venusian mythology — Inanna is a highly recommended perusal  

That said, onward alee … back to the point at hand

Ough … free, my, mind. That makes a world of sense; forgive the preliminary conceptual rigidity, the symbolic representation definitely translates more as a flux symphony … the personification of ARTPOP’s living canvas … not so much this or that or the other, but the dynamic exchange between the various interpretations within the sort of locus amalgam. Again, like ARTPOP, it seems it’s not so much about the specific name itself (or names themselves), as it is the shared meaning, and the collective “it” could mean anything or everything within the scope … or like, it’s more of the energy or connecting thread within the larger mythology than the individual concrete entities… the whole as the sum of the parts in traverse between each other (Venus, Aphrodite (Urania, Pandemos), Renaissance, Cosmic, etc.) … if any of that makes any sense. And, true to ARTPOP form and function, Gaga as/or Venus/Aphrodite is the living canvas to project the given message or perspective or idk what I’m trying to say. Anyways, I guess it’s like, to your point, the portrayal’s intent wasn’t contained within a set theme … but rather, given the moment / mood, whatever she wanted it to be.

5 hours ago, V e n u s said:

Is Venus/Aphrodite a symbol of an art revolution or is it just Gaga roleplaying as a deity? My answer to that is that I think it's both. Jeff Koons explained that Gaga's statue on the ARTPOP cover is Gaga as a 'Venus on a shell'. I interpret the placement of the 'Gazing Ball' between Gaga's legs as a symbolism of the Birth of ARTPOP. Piecing these interpretations together creates a concept that illustrates the Venus/Aphrodite persona as a role Gaga filled for this era in able to propagate an Artistic Revolution Through the Potential of Pop.

Whew … propagate my mind. That, completely spot-on. I always kind of interpreted the cover that way, just — bam. But then, when I went to the Koons exhibit a few years ago, and saw the gazing ball irl, it’s like — wow — it really hits you … but when you see yourself in the gazing ball, and then (at least for me) connecting that with the Birth of ARTPOP … it brings the entire revolution (or orbit, maybe) full circle, in a way, for that very reason … you as the audience / fan / etc. see yourself in that (indigo / cerulean / sapphire) — little blue umbilical orb between you and the artist — of the terra nova that is this Artistic Revolution Through the Potential of Pop … so like, you quite literally see yourself as that creative progeny birthed from the contemporary representation of this epochal deity. Kind of Wilde.

If any, of that, made a modicum, of mythological sense … ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And, yes, bless, that tweet … also kind of low-key major reminds me of: “… a birth of magnificent and magical proportions took place. But the birth was not finite, it was infinite. As the wombs numbered and the mitosis of the future began it was perceived that this infamous moment in life is not temporal, it is eternal …” 👑🦄🔵🎨🎉🎶

Archived