Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Workers forced to attend Trump event or not get paid.

Featured Posts

JusKeepBreathin

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-shell-workers-pennsylvania-told-attend-donald-event-get-paid-2019-8?utm_content=buffer1beb0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

Please read the entire article and keep a barf bag handy. You'll need it. I'll try to summerize but reading the entire article is worth it. 

tv land eww GIF by #Impastor

Trump's booming voice filled the confines of the new Shell Pennsylvania Petrochemicals Complex in Western Pennsylvania on Tuesday.

5d581afecd978432d076f8c4-1536-1152.jpg

The president's rally-style speech, which a senior administration official described as"not a political event but an official event," included jabs at Sen. Elizabeth Warren and former Vice President Joe Biden, calls for union leaders to support him in 2020, a warning that Democrats would take their jobs, and taking credit for the complex, which is still under construction and was first announced in 2012 when former president Barack Obama was still in office.

In addition to the ethical concerns of the speech, which was expected to focus on energy but instead transformed into a full-on campaign rally (despite being funded by taxpayer dollars, which are not supposed to go toward political campaigns), the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Friday revealed another red flag: the workers in the crowd didn't attend Trump's event by choice; rather, they had to attend in order to get their paychecks.

Attendance was not mandatory, however union workers who didn't show up had to forfeit their pay, similar to if they had opted to skip work for the day, according to the Post-Gazette. One contractor, referencing a memo sent to union leaders by Shell, told employees that they would only be paid if they showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their ID cards, and prepared to stand for hours through lunch. "No scan, no pay," they were told.

Workers were also told "no yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event. An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this," the newspaper reported.

An anonymous union leader told the Post-Gazette that one day of work could amount to around $700 in pay, benefits, and a per diem payment for out-of-town workers. Other union leaders added that they were not consulted about the arrangement in advance.

Shell spokesperson Curtis Smith told Business Insider that "Tuesday was treated as a training (work) day with a guest speaker who happened to be the President. We do these several times a year with various speakers. The morning session (7-10 AM) included safety training and other work-related activities."

Business Insider then questioned Smith as to why workers would opt to take an excused but non-paid absence over PTO. "PTO comes from a personal account of accrued hours," Smith said.

Smith told Business Insider that on-site workers have a 56-hour workweek, which provides for 16 hours of overtime. As such, workers who didn't attend Trump's speech and took the PTO would not be eligible to receive that overtime and would be paid at the regular rate. In comparison, workers who did attend the speech and showed up for work later in the week would be paid at a rate of time and a half.

As noted by the Post-Gazette, this is "despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site Tuesday."

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 2

ZacharyMark

But will these workers speak out? No...

In other news. Nazis and white supremacists protested in Portland as they continue to grow their forces and support. I see people trying to blame the media based on the reporting. And that those "peaceful people" had a permit to protest.... This is how it begins y'all.  

• LMAO 1
  • Shook 2

Lilmonzter

I like to quote the The Washington Post masthead

"Democracy Dies in Darkness"

Veni Vidi Amavi

MrG1087
9 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

But will these workers speak out? No...

In other news. Nazis and white supremacists protested in Portland as they continue to grow their forces and support. I see people trying to blame the media based on the reporting. And that those "peaceful people" had a permit to protest.... This is how it begins y'all.  

Scary right? But the orange one will just go about his business and say there are “fine people on both sides” because he’s so morally bankrupt and just as bad as his brainwashed, bigoted supporters.

ALGAYDO

Pretty sure that's against the law... I'm probably wrong tho cause they'll use a loophole to rationalize it. 

Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Faysalaaa
1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

@Faysalaaa Please stop laughing about Nazis protesting in America. Thanks.

Ill laugh at whatever I want

• Sad 1

Lion Heart

Everything about this admin is so fake. 

Everything. 

ladylinners

gross vomit GIF

taking notes from Kim Jung-Un now I see. Must be hard for Trump not to fully live up to his idols, but he sure is getting closer and closer to his goal :saladga:

History does repeat itself but I don’t want a repeat of what happened in Germany during the 1930s. Trumps America is not a democracy, but a racist autocracy. 

Bellatrix
20 hours ago, ZacharyMark said:

@Faysalaaa Please stop laughing about Nazis protesting in America. Thanks.

Well US pretty much has become the worlds biggest joke over the past years. They say it's the greatest country on Earth but all they do after choosing a racist maniac as their leader is going backwards in time slowly killing their democracy.

He knows how to play! Itty bitty baby Potter
  • Like 1

JusKeepBreathin
3 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

Well US pretty much has become the worlds biggest joke over the past years. They say it's the greatest country on Earth but all they do after choosing a racist maniac as their leader is going backwards in time slowly killing their democracy.

Scary how true this is. :neyde:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Faysalaaa

@Morphine Prince Im obviously laughing at the person commenting, not at what he accuse me of laughing about. Every time I disagree with him, he accuses me of laughing at the subject while im actually laughing at him. But you always like his comments that accuses me of being racist anyway so..

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Shook 1

Gagaloo92

Yikes. And as for those asking if it's legal.. do you think it matters? The law and rule of law don't matter anymore, and in many ways it never has for wealthy white men considering they've historically gotten away with anything and everything in this country. 

Our legal and criminal justice system is a joke in this country. It's a two-tiered system anyway and the powerful wealthy people get held to a different standard than the rest of us. He'll get away with this, just like he's gotten away with everything else, and the WEAK PATHETIC Democratic leadership will do nothing about it just as they've proven time and time again.

I mean there is countless evidence this President has committed high crimes and misdemeanors, yet the weaklings Pelosi and Schumer dismiss it all.