Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Hate crimes against Latinos & Jews rise, other decline in California

Featured Posts

Melech

Despite a slight decline in the overall number of hate crimes reported statewide, incidents targeting Latinos and Jewish people in California surged last year, an uptick experts have blamed on vitriolic rhetoric over immigration and emboldened hate groups.

Anti-Semitic hate crimes surged 21%. There were 104 hate crimes against Jews reported in 2017. A year later, that number jumped to 126, according to a report from the California attorney general’s office released Tuesday.

Hate crimes against Latinos also grew, increasing about 18%. Law enforcement agencies across the state reported 149 hate crimes against Latinos in 2018, up from 126 the year prior, the report states.

The increases occur as hate crimes against African Americans, Muslims and gay men showed slight decreases statewide last year. Overall, the report notes a 2.5% decline in hate crimes in California in 2018.

Brian Levin, executive director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, said the increase in reported hate crimes against Jewish people and Latinos isn’t unexpected as heated political rhetoric and long-perpetuated stereotypes focused on select groups often can translate to a rise in crimes committed against them.

However, anti-Semitic rhetoric has been much more sustained and precipitous nationwide — and specifically in California, where there is a large population of Jewish people, Levin said.

Anti-Semitic incidents around the nation have been increasing since 2013, with the biggest all-time annual jump coming in 2017, when the tally climbed 57% to 1,986, according to the Anti-Defamation League. Hate crimes against Jews grew by 37% in the same period, according to a separate FBI analysis.

www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-jewish-latino-hate-crime-report-20190703-story.html%3f_amp=true

• Sad 4

ShayCristoforo

Xenophobia is real. It's hard to stomach that many people are buying into the divisive rhetoric of "the Wall" and other concepts, but they clearly are. So I totally understand the spike in hate crimes against Latinos. And I'm sure crimes against Muslims are right up there as well.
Why do you think there's a spike in hate crimes against Jews? I'm in Canada, so I'm not very privy to what else is going on in Cali / the States.  

Edited by ShayCristoforo
sp
Ich schleiban austa be clair

PaulR2345
Just now, Sassy McSass said:

History keeps repeating itself... :(

The Italians are next 

lady gaga running GIF

fun (terrible) fact: The largest lynching in America was in New Orleans, 1891, against Italian-Americans.

• Sad 2

Melech
17 minutes ago, ShayCristoforo said:

Xenophobia is real. It's hard to stomach that many people are buying into the divisive rhetoric of "the Wall" and other concepts, but they clearly are. So I totally understand the spike in hate crimes against Latinos. And I'm sure crimes against Muslims are right up there as well.
Why do you think there's a spike in hate crimes against Jews? I'm in Canada, so I'm not very privy to what else is going on in Cali / the States.  

The article says that the hate crimes against Muslims, gays and African American in Cali (slightly) declined.

hate crimes against Jews always been one of the highest in the States. In the article linked in a the OP has also graphics. 

Also: 

www.haaretz.com/amp/us-news/new-york-hate-crimes-in-2018-targeted-jews-more-than-all-other-groups-combined-1.6789350

• Sad 1