Stefani Tee
society

Ursula von der Leyen is now the president of the European Commission!

Featured Posts

Melech

BRUSSELS — The first woman ever chosen to be the European Union’s top executive clinched her selection on Tuesday, narrowly winning approval from the European Parliament after her unexpected nomination as a compromise candidate.

Ursula von der Leyen of Germany was selected to lead the European Commission and the 32,000-member staff at the heart of the European project. She will take on the role as the bloc is rived with internal divisions stoked by rising nationalism and increasingly entangled in power struggles with Russia, China, the United States, Iran and other nations.

Despite only just managing to secure confirmation, Ms. von der Leyen struck a triumphant and conciliatory tone in her acceptance speech.

“The trust you place in me is confidence you place in Europe, confidence in a united and strong Europe, from east to west, from south to north,” she said.

She will represent the European Union, 28 countries and more than half a billion people that together form the richest collective in the world, in major events like the Group of 20 meetings. She will be tasked with advancing the bloc’s interests in trade talks with President Trump and other world leaders, and she will oversee Brexit, and its aftermath, in one of the messiest and most painful events for the European Union since it was conceived in the aftermath of World War II.

Ms. von der Leyen, 60, who will begin her five-year term as European Commission president in November, won the office after an acrimonious nomination process. European Union heads of government had agreed to nominate a president from among the candidates proposed by the political blocs in the European Parliament, but they scrapped that deal when the two top contenders faced implacable opposition.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/world/europe/ursula-von-der-leyen-eu-president.html

the most important job in the EU by a strong German woman. Trump is probably raging cause she is basically like Merkel, but cooler 

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

LadyLuca

And not even she knows why

LG6 is comming late 2019 or in 2020 you little Delulus

Melech
2 minutes ago, LadyLuca said:

And not even she knows why

She is European through and through, she is a good choice. 

• Like 1

Mr V

She's a headstrong woman. The tough girl. The choice is good but I hope her strength doesn't become her weakness.

3 minutes ago, August3 said:

She is a christian democrat and a liberal conservative. Eww 

Her policies and not guided by party guidelines. She voted for same-sex marriage in 2017. 

Melech
5 minutes ago, August3 said:

She is a christian democrat and a liberal conservative. Eww 

She is the most leftist conservative you can get :emma: 

She is a feminist and gay rights advocate 

August3
10 minutes ago, Melech said:

She is the most leftist conservative you can get :emma: 

She is a feminist and gay rights advocate 

Well that's nice. But it's not enough to make me like her

CautiousLurker

Damn, Disney villains are really moving up in life, huh :gayhat:

desparate-depression-riddled-d*ck-obsessed-horndog... 4masc
  • LMAO 2

Beytwice

she's pretty weak

she almost failed to get the EP's vote

this is going to be a mess

I'm happy that the far-right parties have no power in the EP tho

EPP should kick PiS and FIDESZ out, and PeS should kick PSD out, but I guess that a few seats to vote for your stuff is more important than keeping the european spirit alive :oops:

Edited by Beytwice
  • Like 1

Melech
13 minutes ago, August3 said:

Well that's nice. But it's not enough to make me like her

Of course you don’t need to like her, I think her views are almost perfect. That’s democracy ;) 

• Like 1

Luc

How she got in is undemocratic, and I'm glad most socialdemocrats in the EP voted against her. Timmermans would've been much better.

Those last-ditch promises she made certainly are interesting, but we'll have to see how that comes about. I feel uncomfortable having a EUCo pres who came there only thanks to corrupt, anti-democratic and even anti-semitic and racist governments in Central Europe. It just shows everything that's wrong with the European Union. But her promise of a right of initiative for the European Parliament is a very, very big step in the right direction. Tax matters by qualified majority is also very important. And I just hope the current proposal by the Finnish rotating presidency for a mechanism linking rule of law commitments to cohesion fund spending makes it through.

But the whole thing showed that the biggest problem is not per se how the institutions of the EU are set up, but how the complexity of it all allows for undemocratic, untransparant informal talks that citizens have no influence on and makes people (including me, who would've thought) lose a little bit of faith in the EU. I'll just keep voting for the socialdemocrats. The Greens showed they still don't have enough knowhow about strategy imo. They effectively put themselves outside of important negotiations by stating they would vote against wayy too early. The climate goals she has are still better than nothing. Too bad for pretty much everything that's been promised, such a large majority in the Council is needed. That's not gonna happen. 

phillipaf

This is not what anybody wanted. She‘s corrupt and only works in her best interest. She‘s the worst. God knows how she ****ed her way into that. This is not what Europe is. This is not the politics anybody voted for. 

• LMAO 1

AndiGaga

I'm German

And of course not conservative but she is the best choice and the best President of the Commission we could get!

Yes, she is in the CDU (christian democratic Union)

But she is:

- a woman, a mother of 7

- has been in high political positions since 15 years

- a doctor

- VERY LGBT friendly, she got so much hate for her lgbt friendly positions from her own party, when she made a big statement, that every person is welcome in the Military 

- She voted FOR the same sex marriage!

Dont be mad, she is great!

• Sad 1

Beytwice
19 hours ago, AndiGaga said:

I'm German

And of course not conservative but she is the best choice and the best President of the Commission we could get!

Yes, she is in the CDU (christian democratic Union)

But she is:

- a woman, a mother of 7

- has been in high political positions since 15 years

- a doctor

- VERY LGBT friendly, she got so much hate for her lgbt friendly positions from her own party, when she made a big statement, that every person is welcome in the Military 

- She voted FOR the same sex marriage!

Dont be mad, she is great!

that doesn't  necessarily mean she's a great President for the EU Comission