Stefani Tee
society

Detroit Music Festival Charges White People Double

Featured Posts

PhillipBagshaw
2 minutes ago, LM said:

EXACTLY. That's what I was trying to say all the time. probably said it in a confusing way

Glad we found something to agree on

Girl i literally said that 

Morphine Prince
Just now, LM said:

You said that systemic racism exists in US, right?

I also think we all can agree that there are no laws or rules that would discriminate POC people. No government in any state has those laws.

Hence it is not a contradiction - one thing exists while the other doesn't. 

Ok, I think I understand what you're saying. 

I believe you're saying although most of the laws and policies that created a racist system are now illegal (Civil Rights acts, etc.) - this means the system is no longer pumping out these laws. 

I would have to disagree though. Although laws are no longer blatantly racist, they do create situations in which minorities are treated differently. And although as you said, these may stem from personal prejudice, it is still an inherent part of the system. 

As I said before, systemic racism and personal beliefs reinforce each other. And if the effects of the more blatant systemic racism from times past are STILL felt, it's almost as if it still exists. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 6

StarstruckIllusion

People are literally looking at a dictionary and saying “wrong!” we-

Inagine not knowing how these definition came to be, and how and why they still stand.

Girl what iiiis thiiiis? 💀💀 The circus?!

Don’t y’all know that when you clown on life, the reality comes back to bite? 

Edited by Wigless
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

uo111

This is actually so funny.

Also a non-issue since it's clearly illegal.

Morphine Prince

I'm legit shocked @LM and I could have a civil discussion over systemic race, understood our stances, and overall managed to agree on the most important aspects of this discussion, while maintaining our differences. 

People usually go crazy in these topics and it was a nice change for once. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Oriane
1 minute ago, Wigless said:

People are literally looking at a dictionary and saying “wrong!” we-

But the dictionary was probably written by old white people so it can't be right :udidnt:

You popped my heart seems... All my bubble dreams, bubble dreams...
  • Shook 1

Snejana
35 minutes ago, LM said:

I also think we all can agree that there are no laws or rules that would discriminate POC people. No government in any state has those laws.

it's true BUT we should all be aware that the law only works and benefits the white portion of society, it may not be written on the constitution  but anti-poc/racist ideals and beliefs are extremely ingrained in the legal system and it's lawmakers, and that's a fact. The harshness with which non white citizens are legally punished or judged is far greater than the one applied to white citizens

Edited by Snejana
  • Like 3

Craven Moorecox
4 minutes ago, Wigless said:

He’s literally justifying it by saying “they did it worse” you’re clearly misreading our conversation. And you are too by saying the same action is worse if done by someone else bc xyz. Distinguishing levels of evil is still justifying how evil something is  

For no reason. You’re discussing actions that are wrong and presumably trying to say they should stop, but the cause of the actions aren’t being addressed. 

There are different level of importance and by trying to compared something petty to something horrific is disrespectful to the people who actually experienced racism, which is systematic oppression. I never said prejudice discrimination is acceptable. I just say call it by the correct term. Would it be accurate to call a multiple homicide a genocide? No, because that isn’t the correct term and it distort  the actual negative connotation of the word genocide. Therefore I wouldn’t call prejudice discrimination racism.

• Thanks 1

Oriane
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

I'm legit shocked @LM and I could have a civil discussion over systemic race, understood our stances, and overall managed to agree on the most important aspects of this discussion, while maintaining our differences. 

People usually go crazy in these topics and it was a nice change for once. 

I read your conversation and I think maybe you and @LM have a different definition of "system" ? :huh:

It's a broad term so I wouldn't be surprised. From what I see, you thought the "system" more as society, and @LM more as the government, or at least the defined entity that makes the rules, so I could see both of your points and I agree. Sure, there aren't any laws anymore that clearly say some races should be treated another way, but it's still there, in very conscious ways for the worst racists out there, and in unconcious bias and prejudice for many people. It's the individual minds we have to change now, to be able to change the system.

• Like 2

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, Oriane said:

I read your conversation and I think maybe you and @LM have a different definition of "system" ? :huh:

It's a broad term so I wouldn't be surprised. From what I see, you thought the "system" more as society, and @LM more as the government, or at least the defined entity that makes the rules, so I could see both of your points and I agree. Sure, there aren't any laws anymore that clearly say some races should be treated another way, but it's still there, in very conscious ways for the worst racists out there, and in unconcious bias and prejudice for many people. It's the individual minds we have to change now, to be able to change the system.

Systemic racism to me has to do with both. Actual laws AND the overall culture surrounding whatever thing (which results from the system etc.) Such as prison system, healthcare, education, etc. 

And as I stated previously, I see many things reinforcing each other. It's actually a quite toxic thing. I'm not a sociologist but I'd be interested in knowing how this phenomenon is studied. 

• Like 3

Oriane
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

Systemic racism to me has to do with both. Actual laws AND the overall culture surrounding whatever thing (which results from the system etc.) Such as prison system, healthcare, education, etc. 

And as I stated previously, I see many things reinforcing each other. It's actually a quite toxic thing. I'm not a sociologist but I'd be interested in knowing how this phenomenon is studied. 

Are they laws or any actual systems still in place in the US that still enforce this ? I would be interested to know some examples if you have any.

StarstruckIllusion
4 minutes ago, Oriane said:

But the dictionary was probably written by old white people so it can't be right :udidnt:

We-

oh absolutely not! literally the worst thing. We need a dictionary written by the most oppressed person ever and based upon how their naturally flawed 100% human perception to save us from the second coming of H****r :messga:

6 minutes ago, Craven Moorecox said:

There are different level of importance and by trying to compared something petty to something horrific is disrespectful to the people who actually experienced racism, which is systematic oppression. I never said prejudice discrimination is acceptable. I just say call it by the correct term. Would it be accurate to call a multiple homicide a genocide? No, because that isn’t the correct term and it distort  the actual negative connotation of the word genocide. Therefore I wouldn’t call prejudice discrimination racism.

We weren’t arguing importance, we were arguing how morality. That’s something you just brought up. And ma what? A sociology scholar just tried to argue (and flopped) that systemic racism is something else—not saying words and offending people 💀 

If me arguing the reality of the situation is offensive, then oh well. Life is offensive, life is hard and life is suffering. Literally one of the oldest concepts to ever exist...

You want call prejudice discrimination racism bc you lack the context of the convo, and meaning of the word racism, and seemingly the connection to converge the two. 

• Like 3

PhillipBagshaw
27 minutes ago, LM said:

Where?

Sorry, I thought I did - I said a lot of things :wtfga:

• LMAO 1