💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

#NotMyAriel trends after black actress was cast to play the Little Mermaid

Bambino

Featured Posts

hankhatesyouall

Hopefully, the movie flops and they stop with this SJW pandering. This is the most inaccurate representation of a Disney princess ever. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RichAssPiss
11 hours ago, Jose P said:

Look, I really don’t mind this casting but let me remind you that if a white actress were cast as Tiana everyone would lose their minds. I don’t get why these companies change the character’s races. I mean, it’s ok to blackwash but it’s never ok to whitewash. The blatant racism and double standards is annoying. It’s like white actors don’t matter or something. I’m not saying white actors aren’t being casted anymore, but people applaud when a black actor plays a white character but never a white actor playing a POC character.

Like, just leave characters the way they are and that’s it!

"Blackwash" isn't a thing. Whitewash refers to removing the cultural specificity of a story or character to make it more appealing to white audiences. It explicitly affects underrepresented identities who have been historically marginalized in U.S. cinema. This has been done in Hollywood for a hundred years now. The history of representation for black actors is egregious and totally different than that of white actors in U.S. cinema. There is no equivalence. To say "white actors don't matter anymore" is just ignorant. Take any number of stats on bias in casting and accolades and it is easy to see how black actors are still fighting for equal chances. Here's one, for example, There have been 91 Oscar winners for Best Actress. One of them is black. ONE OF THEM. White women have even won Oscars in whitewashed roles. In 1938 Luise Rainer won Best Actress playing a Chinese woman in The Good Earth, a role that should have rightly gone to a Chinese actress but did not because of Hollywood's racist adherence to a production code prohibiting mixed-race screen couples. And that is just one facet of the industry.  Do not ignorantly conflate these things as though they are not historically different. Casting a black actress in a major Hollywood role does not erase anyone's culture. It does not continue a tradition of marginalizing performers of a certain race. If anything, it does just the slightest bit to make a step toward diversifying Disney's cast of characters. There is a lot that Disney needs to atone for, just Google why no one can find a copy of Song of the South to legally purchase in 2019. This is a step toward making amends with the performers and audiences this company and others have mistreated and underrepresented for decades.

ltlmnstr
28 minutes ago, Unbeweavable said:

isn't colored short for people of colour as in people of different race, like does it really matter :toofunny: 

It’s the racist term

It does matter because this was established, at least in America, while Dr. Martin Luther King was marching down Selma

We have retired “Colored” and “Negro” because of its continued usage from the Lily White movement.

If you don’t know what the Lily White movement is, time to brush up on US History.

Scathach

People saying this movie will flop need to check Black Panther box office scores again.

And don’t wrinkle in time me, this book was completely unknown and trailers looked beyond awful.

GypsyBabe
7 minutes ago, Scathach said:

And don’t wrinkle in time me, this book was completely unknown and trailers looked beyond awful.

One of my favorite books of all time and I didn’t even go because the trailers looked abysmal. 

Also, that book is a staple on summer reading lists across the US. 

⚯͛

gag
42 minutes ago, Unbeweavable said:

isn't colored short for people of colour as in people of different race, like does it really matter :toofunny: 

It does matter! 'Colored' was used by white people during segregation (esp. in the Jim Crow era) while the term 'people of color' was coined by POC themselves (MLK saying 'citizens of color'). Even in semantics, some people say that 'colored' insinuates that the non-white subject is their race first, while 'people of color' deems them a 'person' first. On a smaller scale it's like using 'the blacks' instead of 'black people' or 'homos' instead of 'gay people'.

headspin, happiness, DEÌ€ÌŁAÌąÌŻÍ”Ì˜T͏͙̗̟̫HÍĄÍ…Ì—Ì™

Scathach
9 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

One of my favorite books of all time and I didn’t even go because the trailers looked abysmal. 

Also, that book is a staple on summer reading lists across the US. 

Oh maybe it’s more known in the US than it is here, or it’s just me who is uncultured :laughga:

GypsyBabe
2 minutes ago, Scathach said:

Oh maybe it’s more known in the US than it is here, or it’s just me who is uncultured :laughga:

Honestly it probably just here. I think its generally on 5th graders summer reading list. 

Its a great book! 

⚯͛

CautiousLurker

Lindsay Ellis fairly pointed out that a big part of why the hashtag is trending is likely bot accounts that inflated it LIKELY because this is good studio promo, and Disney is by no means above that, so take this situation with a grain of salt... like, a REALLY BIG grain of salt...

GhettoFabulous
5 hours ago, Galagala said:

We watch movie, not just listen to the music in the films lol:awkney:

Anyway, this is some PoC shitty things.

Are some of you really saying racist **** like this with your whole chests? :madge: literally no words 

PartySick

100% agree with critics. I'm tired of all this leg washing.

Wake up, Hollywood!! If you can't hire mermaids for a mermaid's role then ÂĄÂĄÂĄDON'T REMAKE THE FILM!!!

But seriously, I question the intelligence or anyone who's truthfully upset about this adaptation of a goddamn cartoon. There's people dying :rip:

💚

gypsy101

so sad how many racists are in this thread/on this site. it’s a fu±king fictional mermaid get over yourselves people

ZiggyZiggs

blonde strawberries, lots and lots of content absolutely no substance :trollga:

ot: some people. just don’t get it. they’re selfish and want to see themselves on screen as if they already haven’t since the very beginning. and saying that this is pandering and done to make ‘woke people’ happy is the stupidest thing ever, and is VERY telling, a lot of people has never had a proper poc friend in their life and it SHOWS

brucee

this is off control. Guy it's actually great and at the same time maybe a little consensual, but this is important to accept this with open arms and not to be like "this is not Ariel" ??? Dudes come on..... We don't care of the color of the skin of a mermaid.... We care about a good scenario, good drama, this doesn't have to be the start of the problem. The problem is the plastic and radioactivity in the ocean, NOT THE COLOR OF THE SKIN.
Anybody spending time arguing that it's not how they see Ariel sound so full of s$$t to me, distracted from reality and commenting on the wrong thing...... 

It makes me so sad.... 

hello hello baby.

Archived