đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

#NotMyAriel trends after black actress was cast to play the Little Mermaid

Bambino

Featured Posts

Glamourpuss
1 hour ago, Snejana said:

where was this energy and concern with casting accuracy when miss scarlett johansson was cast as lead actress in the ghost in the shell live action ?? clowns 

People did complain about that at the time. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Versace

Guys calm down. Why is everyone quoting those who are not here for the casting choice. Just because anyone doesn’t like the casting choice doesn’t mean they're racist, bothered or ignorant. It's just a preference chill. I personally would have preferred an actress that looks similar to the Ariel in the animated version. For some this is not just a movie, I know for me it's pretty much a symbolic representation of my childhood for it was my fav movie ever. 

Will I send the actress any hate or express hate for not getting it my way, NO. However, it's okay to voice it if you’re not pleased with the casting choice. Heck, I'm so picky and protective over Ariel that I doubt any white actress would have fit the bill. If Disney want to be progressive, they should honestly focus on making more black princesses first. 

Craven Moorecox
2 hours ago, Inferno said:

Its called representation. Its not forced, and the fact that you believe its forced says a lot more about you than it does the fact that a black actor was cast. White people don't need representation because they've only been represented for decades upon decades. You can't claim that they're being mistreated when in actuality all thats happening is its not only them that are getting roles. How do you not comprehend that fact? You've got your head in the sand homie. Your position stems from ignorance, straight up.

Get her jade! 

Craven Moorecox
2 hours ago, Jose P said:

You can’t say it’s never forced though. I mean it’s not always forced but sometimes it is and you can tell. Like the example I gave you. Why not make Susan Storm black as well? It’s less complicated. But they took the cost of changing Johnny’s entire background so they could make him black and only him. Not his sister. Just him. 

Sometimes diversity IS forced into the media and in my opinion, it sucks. It’s disingenuous. As a gay man, I like seeing gay characters in big movies and shows. But when I can tell the gay characters is nothing more than a token, it bothers me. Sometimes diversity comes from pressure and that’s it. I love diversity in movies and shows but when it’s honest, not forced and fake.

I don’t mean to say Halle being cast as Ariel is an example of that. I was just trying to make it clear how stupid it is for people to say a character’s race doesn’t matter but when a previously black character is played by a white actor those same people suddenly care and lose their heads over it calling racism.  

Maybe the white woman who played Susan Storm was the best actress at the audition, and so was the black guy that played Johnny. I’m proud of the director for making little changes to fit the right actor. The storyline of so many super hero movies change from the original comics (I.e. every retold Spider movie is different). Why butt hurt about race, cyst? 

LilyLark
36 minutes ago, Craven Moorecox said:

Get her jade! 

Yep. Plus she's a f*cking fish woman from the Caribbean—bish can be Black, East Asian, whatever. Because of the stories, Tiana, Pocahontas, and Mulan have to be portrayed a certain way but there's no reason the rest of the characters can't be any of any background.

Gagaloo911
7 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Even though I don't support this casting, I think petitioning to fire her is too far. But that's precisely why I don't think diversity casting is the best idea. It's not fair on the actors to be hated on because the film studio wanted to appeal to the woke crowd who probably aren't even fans of the original but just want to give themselves a pat on the back for being their interpretation of progressive. Just give the public what they want and there wouldn't be these hate campaigns against innocent actors. Why these studios don't have this foresight is beyond me.

You're so misguided in your thinking. Representation matters. Have you ever thought maybe these companies are casting people of color as main characters because they've listened to the criticisms and actually want to start giving representation to people who aren't white? 

Probably never even crossed your mind. That's what happens growing up and living white, you don't have to think about representation and people looking like you on the screen since they all look like you. 

All of you should be doing some reflecting and learn some damn empathy. How would you feel if growing up you almost never saw anyone who looked like you on the screen as the main character, or if you did they were almost always the villain? You wouldn't be saying this **** and trending garbage like this that's for sure.

This is honestly so telling, every single one of you complaining and crying about this. Labeling it as "political correctness" when in reality it's just (finally) giving representation to others that you have always had. 

Gagaloo911
1 hour ago, Versace said:

Guys calm down. Why is everyone quoting those who are not here for the casting choice. Just because anyone doesn’t like the casting choice doesn’t mean they're racist, bothered or ignorant. It's just a preference chill. I personally would have preferred an actress that looks similar to the Ariel in the animated version. For some this is not just a movie, I know for me it's pretty much a symbolic representation of my childhood for it was my fav movie ever. 

Will I send the actress any hate or express hate for not getting it my way, NO. However, it's okay to voice it if you’re not pleased with the casting choice. Heck, I'm so picky and protective over Ariel that I doubt any white actress would have fit the bill. If Disney want to be progressive, they should honestly focus on making more black princesses first. 

The same tired excuse people use when they aren't attracted to entire races because it's not their "preference" when it ignores the entire structural reality of how that supposed  "preference" got constructed to begin with.

Can a person not agree with the casting choice? Sure, for legitimate reasons. Someone's race not matching your idea of a character is not one of them, and that's what this comes down to.

How tragic for white people that ONE character isn't going to look like them. There's only, oh, 90% of the other movies and actors who will though. 

Galagala
7 hours ago, GagaMariaSpears said:

Haven't you considered that she was chosen because of her singing ability? Which is kinda vital to the role :interestinga:

We watch movie, not just listen to the music in the films lol:awkney:

Anyway, this is some PoC shitty things.

Borislshere
8 minutes ago, Galagala said:

Good thing her race wasn’t important in the film :vegas:

LaLuna

Personally I'm more upset that Disney keeps  making live action versions of all its classics. Completely unnecessary.

But yeah, this is messed up. I feel really bad for Halle.

Maleficent
1 hour ago, LilyLark said:

Because of the stories, Tiana, Pocahontas, and Mulan have to be portrayed a certain way but there's no reason the rest of the characters can't be any of any background.

I disagree. Not only is Ariel's home off the coast of Denmark, her father is Neptune--The Roman God of the Ocean--thus, Ariel is of Danish and Roman descent. Furthermore, Cinderella is a French girl from the 1800s, if she were not of European descent, she would unfortunately not have been allowed to enter the Kings Palace (let alone marry the Prince)... Some things just are not historically accurate if you start bending the races/ethnicities of the characters.

Craven Moorecox
15 minutes ago, Galagala said:

Anyway, this is some PoC shitty things.

Lol gurl ignorance is bliss.:wtfga: Are you aware most leading roles are written for white people in movies unless they want to target a specific minority group. How is that fair to all of the many qualified PoC actors and actress who can’t have these opportunities based on their skin color... which is the worst way to value or limit someone’s worth. But by the way you responded, I am guessing you’re okay with that. Why are you mad that the director decided to open up the spot to the most qualified actress? The level of reverse racism is real here...A lot y’all think y’all the victim when a PoC earn a high position yall believe shouldn’t be obtainable for them, or do something that is geared toward helping a group that has been systematically oppressed and underrepresented years back and currently. If you love a red head cartoon character so much, go Stan that Brave Chick... you won’t have to worry about her Scottish or Irish ass being a PoC ever!

so excited flirting GIF

Jose P
1 hour ago, Craven Moorecox said:

Maybe the white woman who played Susan Storm was the best actress at the audition, and so was the black guy that played Johnny. I’m proud of the director for making little changes to fit the right actor. The storyline of so many super hero movies change from the original comics (I.e. every retold Spider movie is different). Why butt hurt about race, cyst? 

I’m not butthurt honey. I don’t care myself which race the characters of a movie or show are. I’ve always preferred enjoying the story rather than obsessing over which is the skin color of the characters. What bothers me is the ruckus on the Internet over this and the double standards between blackwashing and whitewashing. That’s it.

I really couldn’t care less if Halle plays Ariel, she’s lovely and has an amazing voice. I really didn’t care that Johnny Storm was played by a black actor either. Race doesn’t affect my enjoyment of a movie, unless it matters say, a historical figure. So yeah, I’m not butthurt over race so try to read and understand what I’ve written before trying to suggest I’m racist or something.

My whole point was calling out double standards and forced diversity. Note, I never said this particular case was forced diversity, I brought it up because it’s related to the topic we’re discussing. Not every person on the other side of this type of arguments is racist. 

And I stand by my point that forced diversity does exist. As I said, race in movies and shows don’t bother me, but when I look back after watching it does irk me when, for example, there’s a token gay man on the movie because it feels dishonest. Like the producers don’t really care about representing us gay people, they just do it because they were pressured to do so. Black people also want to be represented as well and I more than get that, my heart is filled with joy when I finally see a gay  guy in a big movie on a big role. But I want it to be natural and genuine.

I like to write and I’ve written many short stories and outlined a couple of novels. When I think of my characters I try to include several types of people regarding race, sexual orientation, age, etc. I think this enriches a story. But I don’t do it thinking I should do it or else people are gonna give me sh*t. That’s all I was trying to say.

Quartz

It's weird that people are not as open to her being Ariel because she's colored, but totally stans Zendaya as the choice.

Am I missing something here?

Inside, we are really made the same. đź•Š

ltlmnstr
9 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Even though I don't support this casting, I think petitioning to fire her is too far. But that's precisely why I don't think diversity casting is the best idea. It's not fair on the actors to be hated on because the film studio wanted to appeal to the woke crowd who probably aren't even fans of the original but just want to give themselves a pat on the back for being their interpretation of progressive. Just give the public what they want and there wouldn't be these hate campaigns against innocent actors. Why these studios don't have this foresight is beyond me.

Or don’t police a director on his casting choices and a screenwriter’s vision of their movie.

It’s not our movie. It’s a reimagining.  Disney will make millions whether we like it or not.

Archived