💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

Netflix Reportedly Spending Less on Original Programming Going Forward

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg3vWyVdT1lN2RgpHIJif

Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos told a "substantial" group of film and TV executives that spending needs to be more focused on cost-effective purchases going forward. This will really change the way that original programming gets greenlit from here on out.

Netflix has spent more and more money each year since the company began its work on originals.

You'll likely still see Netflix move in on existing IPs like The Dark Crystaland The Chronicles of Narnia, as those tend to drive a significant amount of viewers to the site. However, projects like Triple Frontier, the action film that cost $115 million to produce, will probably be few and far between.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/07/03/netflix-spending-less-original-programming/

myluis617

As they should you don't need massive budgets to tell compelling stories. If the shows are being streamed better than other shows maybe then they can add more to the budgets of popular shows, While still being fair to other projects.

FlopSlurper

they better not cut down on the budget of avatar the last airbender 

ladylinners

One of the best movies on Netflix right now is ‘The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind’. Big budgets are not needed to produce compelling films. 

What Netflix needs is to work out a deal that means they’ll never loose the licence for Friends. That will keep me a member for life.

Scathach

Tbh this is probably a good thing. Netflix has been known for overspending. I remember reading an article with a producer saying an episode of 13 reasons why costs around $5M to be made, when you can do the same type of high school based production with budget reduced by half. 

Meredith Grey

I mean, they have Ryan Murphy writing so much for them at this point they don’t really need much more LOL

Bizcochito
36 minutes ago, Scathach said:

Tbh this is probably a good thing. Netflix has been known for overspending. I remember reading an article with a producer saying an episode of 13 reasons why costs around $5M to be made, when you can do the same type of high school based production with budget reduced by half. 

Damn ma..... is Katherine Langford that expensive? 

Noah
54 minutes ago, FlopSlurper said:

and Winx Clubs live action series!

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

BUtterfield 8
5 minutes ago, Noah said:

and Winx Clubs live action series!

lbr the winx club live action series is probably gonna be a mess with or without a budget :messga:

gabeoz
1 hour ago, Scathach said:

Not to mention that Netflix paid somewhere over $100M for Star Trek Discovery to put on its international platform, which funded the entire first season for CBS, around $8.5M an epsiode (it's not even their own IP, just distribution rights). :messga:

Sassy McSass

I happened to really like Triple Frontier, but I’ve enjoyed a lot of their smaller budgets projects. I think quality is what first comes to my mind when it comes to their original content and regardless of the budget I hope that doesn’t change.

I’ll keep looking for Wonderland

DutchHooker
3 hours ago, FlopSlurper said:

Wait a minute, they're gonna remake avatar??!?! 

We need DarkGa with Bops so we can rule the industry again and learn the other popgirls how to snatch 'em wigs to ultimate baldness!!

James Gibson
2 hours ago, MMMMMMMMMMMMMM said:

I think she charges 3 dls an hour but Selena Gomez overcharges to pretend to be executive producer 

sad kristen bell GIF

And the executive producer job is to invest and manage the budget of a project :messga:

SiliconeMonster

I'm still heartbroken that they cut Sense8 short. I loved that show. To be fair though, quite a few Netflix originals like Orange Is The New Black and Jessica Jones etc are ending this year so it makes some sense that their budget is changing. 

Find your freedom in the music

Archived